Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MF

September 5th, 2018 09:00

Setting the automatic brightness of the screen in XPS 9570

Tell me, please, where is the light sensor placed on the XPS 9570 laptop? I can not adjust the automatic brightness of the screen depending on the ambient lighting. I do not understand if there is a light sensor in this laptop, or not?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

September 5th, 2018 09:00

Hi Monaco Felice,

Thanks for posting. Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

You can set the automatic brightness by going to control panel -> hardware -> Dell Keyboard Backlight settings.

If you are wanting to know the location of the ambient light sensor, it's located to the left of the camera.

snip1.PNG

If you need additional assistance, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information and your computer's service tag number. Thanks.

September 5th, 2018 10:00

Thanks for the answer! But my laptop does not look like your example in the picture. The short user manual also shows that the light sensor should be near the camera, but in reality it is not there.
Therefore, I would like to know if this light sensor is on my laptop at all?

8 Posts

October 18th, 2018 08:00

There is no Ambient light sensor on this laptop. The auto adjustment is because of the system itself(or the screen itself) changes the brightness and gamma depends on the avg. color being rendered on screen (which no one wants).

And there is no workaround solution right now :(

I might reinstall windows or try out other systems to see if the issue persist.

8 Posts

October 27th, 2018 22:00

There is a "fix" I tried recently. It worked pretty well, auto brightness and auto gamma are gone. But I'm not positive if this solution can completely fix the problem (auto brightness & gamma change might become back after some windows update or dell software update) 

1. Get the latest driver(25.20.100.6326)  from Intel. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers
  2. Download the ZIP one (which is the second option)
  3. Extract the file to where you can find it comfortably.
  4. Disable all internet connections (to prevent Windows update download any drivers during the process)
  5. Uninstall the Intel UHD driver in device manager, remember to check "remove driver files on the disk". 
  6. Restart your system.
  7. Goto device manager, you will see your Intel UHD device will have a warning sign on it.
  8. Right-click update driver --> Browse my computer for driver software --> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
  9. Even there are some drivers on the list, don't click on it. There is a "Have disk..." button at the down right corner. 
  10. "Browse.." to where your extracted files are There is a "Graphics" folder inside "win64_25.20.100.6336".
  11. Choose igdlh64.inf. then click Open
  12. There will be only one driver shown on the list. Then you can click "Next"/
  13. Finish, and restart your system.

I tried a driverless system (ubuntu 18 live), there is no problem at all with a clean system. So I tried the same thing on Windows, it works (at least now).

No Events found!