Highlighted
2 Bronze

SupportAssist not working

Jump to solution

I originally posted this incorrectly on the Inspiron group...

This is regarding a one week old XPS 15 7590.

SupportAssist did run once (and undid the network configuration). The next time, it got stuck forever on "validating" and used up a lot of CPU.

Now, the SupportAssist application won't even open to allow it to be configured. 

Can someone explain what the advantage is if any, in terms of keeping drivers and BIOS updated, between using SupportAssist and using Dell Update, or even going to the Dell Web site to check for new drivers? I would rather do my own clean-up, etc. and not have to clean up after unwanted changes it makes...

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Re: SupportAssist not working

Jump to solution

You can uninstall it. Most advanced users do. Support Assist has been known to recommend incorrect driver/bios updates for laptops, which are rarely updated since the hardware doesn't change. Just check once in a while as you have been doing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

You can uninstall it. Most advanced users do. Support Assist has been known to recommend incorrect driver/bios updates for laptops, which are rarely updated since the hardware doesn't change. Just check once in a while as you have been doing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

You recommend that folks uninstall SupportAssist.  What do you mean to "Just check once in a while as you have been doing"?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

"Just check once in a while as you have been doing" == Run Dell Update occasionally to check and install new drivers, etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Thats not a viable solution because Ive done that numerous times and doesnt fix it. Wouldnt that be great that a uninstall and reinstall would solve the problem. Hasnt solved it for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

I hope you're doing good.

I am awaiting your response to earlier messages and waiting to move further on the case.

Thank you.

Regards,

Alaina

DELL-Cares
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

None of that worked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have replied to you via a private message.

DELL-Gautam M

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell

DELL-Cares
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

One unrelated question about dell tech support on the phone. Why are agents so unpatient and rude? Sometimes they put you on hold for about half an hour and all sudden finally hang up on you and dont bother to call back,even though they asked for your phone# before proceeding. They put you on hold supposedly because theyre looking something up or doing something related. And its the same every time I contact support. And sometimes they say theyll email with instructions on how to troubleshoot on your own. And never do. And if remote assist is not working on the computer being fixed, they blame the internet connection that its not fast enough and until its fast they can help you. Its a nightmare to go through that process again and again and get nowhere. This just happened yesterday.

0 Kudos