For the next XPS 17, Dell could try adding:

A variable refresh rate display that supports up to 120hz
A 1080 webcam
More powerful graphics options

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 26th, 2021 10:00

@minotaur1440  Just got an iPad Pro myself a few days ago and wasn’t expecting 120 Hz to make much of a difference, but I agree it’s noticeable. Still not sure it’s realistic to expect it in the XPS line anytime soon though. But maybe as an expensive option like the OLED option that launched on the XPS 15 7590.

@ejn63  I saw an article about 240W over USB-C today, but that means I sort of doubt it will be available for the immediate next generation of laptops. And given that the current systems can’t effectively handle the heat generated by a 130W power budget when it’s being utilized, power doesn’t seem to be the limiting factor here.

I am well aware that the XPS lineup isn't really meant for gaming but 120hz makes everything feel buttery smooth.  After experiencing 120hz on the iPad Pro it's just hard for me to go back to 60hz

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

With USB C ver 2.1 coming, 240 W will be supported.  That may change the power situation for future models.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@minotaur1440  I have no inside knowledge here, but I wouldn't count on a variable refresh rate display in XPS systems.  A very long time ago, the XPS line was Dell's gaming line, but then they bought Alienware, and since then they've created the Inspiron G(aming) Series systems.  The XPS has therefore been repositioned as just a premium ultrabook with higher-end materials, components, and port connectivity, but not actual gaming features as are found on Alienware and G Series systems.  The non-gaming use cases for variable refresh rate displays are pretty slim at least for right now.  I could maybe see 120 Hz displays becoming available, but even that seems like a stretch.  Dell seems to be focusing more on technologies to improve colors, brightness, and contrast -- like HDR and/or OLED panels, and maybe Micro-LED panels later on.

Newer graphics options are a given, but higher-end graphics options is going to be limited by the fact that the XPS models are once again positioned as ultrabooks, not gaming systems.  As a result, they are focused on being thin and light, not ultra-powerful.  Thin and light systems have limited cooling capacity, which limits the performance of the components you can use.  And considering that the XPS 17 and multiple previous generations of the XPS 15 have all generated complaints from gamers about performance throttling when temperatures exceed thermal thresholds, installing higher-end components will only make that problem worse.  The XPS models can't even run their current grade of hardware at max load for sustained periods of time, which again is why they're not positioned as gaming systems.  There's also a power issue, especially on the XPS 17.  It ships with a 130W power supply, but that isn't actually enough power to run it at max load.  If you run it at max load, it will drain the battery for auxiliary power even while it's connected.  Dell calls this "Hybrid Power".  I call it "Shipping a system with an undersized power supply and expecting customers to put up with unnecessary battery wear and tear and extreme throttling when the battery is too low to allow this to continue."  But even Dell's 130W power is already over the current 100W max of the USB PD spec.  Dell did something proprietary there, but there's likely a limit to how much power they can push through a USB-C port, which will again limit the level of hardware you can install.

But I fully agree on the quality of the webcam, and I think that pretty much all laptop vendors will be improving their webcams after this past year of so many people working from home and being on video chats so often.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

May 26th, 2021 11:00

The major issue is Intel's 14 nm CPU design and power requirements at the moment (which is why so many mainline system manufacturers have released Ryzen-based systems, and no doubt part of why Apple is breaking from Intel).  That supposedly will change with Alder Lake in late 21 or early 22.

As for the GPU, it consumes even more power -- which is why thin and light is at odds with high performance graphics.  

4 Posts

May 27th, 2021 06:00

I would suggest they design it in the way that doesn't lose all the battery when heavy load /gaming.

The system is designed to get 130w from charger, when the laptop might need up to 200W, so you can't use the laptop for more of 5-6 hours in the row because the battery drain to sustain the needed W (I speak about the one with the RTX2060).

An issue by the way not mentioned when you are buying this specific laptop.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 27th, 2021 07:00

@pelleti  Definitely agreed there.  It seems Dell was determined to avoid installing a proprietary charging port that would have allowed higher wattage input and instead rely solely on USB-C.  Maybe the new standard that ejn63 mentioned above will allow Dell to build a properly sized power adapter while still using USB-C, but I am not a fan of "Dell Hybrid Power".

October 7th, 2022 23:00

This Segmentation (XPS, Aline Ware, ...) Is Not Customer Oriented. a High End Laptop Should Compete with Mobiles,  Tablets, and iPad . Other Wise No Laptop Will Be Used in the Near Future.

I Just Still Use My Laptop because  of UX Experience. Since My Efforts Do not Get Impact, I'll Stop use Laptops for ever. The Capital of Win systems is the User Experience and They Waste it day over day.

No Events found!