Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2020 07:00

Trackpad Issues (XPS 9500)

Overall like the computer minus the trackpad issues. Had the original trackpad replaced to try and fix the wobble it had, but now acts sporadic from time to time when I click. The mouse will jump over the screen making it not usable. Are there any updates or solutions to fixing this or should I get in touch with and on site technician?  

• 

16.7K Posts

January 5th, 2021 08:00

BSaha,

Dell is aware that some XPS 15 9500 customers might be experiencing a rattle or wobble issue with the touchpad. We have identified and resolved this issue on all systems shipping in June 2020 and beyond. While functionality is not affected, it does not meet the stringent quality and experience standards we set for ourselves. If you purchased the XPS 15 9500 prior to June 1, 2020, contact Dell Technical Support for your country. The palmrest will need to be replaced.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 6th, 2020 08:00

Djjz15

Have you gone into the touchpad properties and adjusted the settings? Click here for troubleshooting steps to resolve touchpad issues.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

August 6th, 2020 09:00

• Dell has figured out how to fix the XPS 15 (9500)'s trackpad issues and will shipped fixed united going forward.
  • People with affected laptops can contact Dell customer support and have the situation "remediated."
  • Affected trackpads have a "pre-click" and a noticeable wobble when pressed.

1 Message

August 6th, 2020 16:00

Receive mine yesterday 08-05-2020 and it has the track pad issue.  Pretty frustrating at this price point.

4 Posts

August 6th, 2020 18:00

I have have restarted while using an external mouse, and have checked for bios updates to no avail. The issue seemed to start after getting the trackpad replaced to try and fix the wobble.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 7th, 2020 09:00

Djjz15,

Did you follow all the steps in the troubleshooting guide that was sent to you?

• 

16.7K Posts

August 11th, 2020 07:00

Djjz15,

We have not heard back from you in regards to the troubleshooting guide that we sent you.  Did you follow the information?  Let us know.

4 Posts

August 11th, 2020 14:00

@DELL-Jesse L Sorry for the late reply. I have gone through the troubleshooting but have not had any luck. The issue is not always present. But seems to be most common shortly after clicking. 

I have tried resting the trackpad, checking for updates, going through the settings as well as seeing if any devices have an affect. 

The trackpad does have a noticeable pre-click, particularly at the bottom, which may have an affect.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 14th, 2020 05:00

Follow the information below to run the diags on the touchpad.

Run ePSA

1) Turn the computer off

2) Hold down the FN key and power the system on to access the ePSA

3) Press the escape key to exit out of the default tests

4) Once the tests have stopped using all touchpad and/or Trackstick buttons to select individual tests and verify if the touchpad is responding.

NOTE: You can refer to  the below video link 

Test touchpad in ePSA            https://dell.to/2Y2rSbB

Performing ePSA Diagnostics    https://dell.to/2DIyntn

Performing ePSA Diagnostics   https://dell.to/33YC8oZ

• 

16.7K Posts

August 17th, 2020 09:00

Djjz15,

Did you run the diagnostics on the touchpad? Let us know.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 19th, 2020 09:00

Djjz15,

Did you have a chance to run the diagnostics on the touchpad? If so, let us know the results.

4 Posts

August 19th, 2020 14:00

@DELL-Jesse L, ran the tests and diagnostics, but everything came back fine. I now plan on trying to get in touch with an tech support/ an on site technician.

For what its worth attached below is a video demonstrating the issue. 

https://streamable.com/3vwbo5

52 Posts

August 19th, 2020 14:00

Quite embarrassing for Dell's Flagship eh?

Not only was QC shocking to begin with, but the admission and promise of a fix in June then turns into a lie.
Not only for a week, or 2 weeks but we find like yourself, people receiving new units even this week have the fault.

From what I am concluding, the flagship series should be used with a mouse not trackpad.  Do not lift the laptop as it causes flex resulting in the trackpad clicking.
Do not carry the laptop because the lid will pop open - at worst, debris could fall into it.
And never shut your lid after using it...always shutdown or it will heat up...a lot and drain your battery due to modern standby.

But ... try and find another brand with that screen and footprint!  Got us hook line and sinker

• 

16.7K Posts

August 20th, 2020 06:00

Djjz15,

Please click on my forum profile and send me a private message with the following information.  Name, address, city-state/country, zip code/country code, phone number, alternate phone number, email address, and the best time to have service performed to resolve the issue.

October 6th, 2020 18:00

After watching your video I tried the same thing and am having the same issue. Mine seems to go away temporarily at least when I click the track pad. 

No Events found!