Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

4 Posts

April 20th, 2020 12:00

Unable to update Windows from 1803 to 1909 - XPS 15 9550

Hey everyone 

I've been reading some threads here, but couldn't find a solution to my problem. 

I'm basically unable to update windows. BIOS is up to date. 
Update starts and stops around 30%...then with ''Undoing changes made to computer'' or something like that. 

It's been like that for over a year, couldn't bother with it, but now I really need to update it for some softwares. 

I've tried running SetupDiag so if it can find the error, but I'm getting a blank log file out of it. No idea why. 

Any idea? 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@lpdenis  run Dell Update, Dell Command Update, or Dell SupportAssist to confirm that all of your drivers are also up to date, not just your BIOS.  Otherwise, the Media Creation Tool idea is a good one, although you don't necessarily have to create bootable media to use it.  You can download the Media Creation Tool and one of the options will be to install the upgrade on the current system.  You can't start an in-place upgrade by booting from bootable media anyway, and an in-place upgrade started from within Windows is perfectly fine using files that are on your local system rather than on removable media.

4 Posts

In Windows Update, it says I'm up to date, even though right under it says ''Your version of Windows has reached end of service. We recommend you update to the most recent version of Windows 10 to get the latest features and security improvements'' 

So I'm using ''Windows 10 Update Assistant'' instead. 
I'll try the media creation tool. 

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

How are you doing the update? Through Windows Updates?

What I have done in the past is to create a bootable USB flash drive using Media Creation Tool. Then boot into Windows as normal and double-click on Setup.exe on the USB flash drive that was created.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 20th, 2020 14:00

@lpdenis  I doubt the Thunderbolt driver would prevent you from moving to a new release.  But I also doubt this error is related to your particular system model.  My guess is that it may be some sort of conflict with other applications you might have installed that might require an update or might otherwise interfere with the update.  I'd recommend seeing what you can find based on those specific error codes.  Sorry!

No Events found!