Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

January 1st, 2020 10:00

XPS 15 7590, Using the Dell 130W USB Type-C charger

Hi,

I am looking to get the Type-C 130W charger for my Dell XPS 7590, for the versatility Type-C has. I just wanted to know if it will charge my XPS with the same speed my normal barrel connector would. I don't want to purchase it and then realise is won't work. I just want to know if it will work and will I get the same charging speeds (will my laptop charge at 130W) 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

January 1st, 2020 15:00

I don't have a 7590 myself, but I don't see why it would behave differently.  Dell created its 130W USB-C adapter specifically for the XPS 15 9575 2-in-1, and systems going as far back as the XPS 15 9550 have supported 130W charging over USB-C when connected to certain Dell docking stations.  However, just fyi (i.e. this won't matter for this specific situation), current Dell systems seem to limit themselves to 65W charging when being charged over USB-C from a non-Dell power source, even if the power source can provide more and the system is designed for more.  For example, I have a Nekteck 90W USB-C power supply that works at 90W with my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme, but registers as a 65W power supply on the XPS 15.  But if you're using Dell's own 130W power supply, you should be fine.  If you want to verify, the BIOS Setup of most Dell systems have a "Battery information" section, and in there they will display the detected wattage of the attached power source.  When it's showing info for a USB-C source, that figure will be either the max wattage of the attached power source or the max that the system will actually draw from the attached source, whichever is lower.  (For example, XPS 13 systems only use 45W, so they'll only show that even if a higher wattage source is connected, and again you won't see anything over 65W with non-Dell sources.)  So if your 7590 has that type of status indicator in its BIOS, you can see what the system shows when you connect the 130W USB-C charger.

1 Message

December 21st, 2022 10:00

Hello @masterword88 ,

I want to ask you if you tried to use the Dell USB-C 130W AC Adapter for XPS 15 (7590) and if it is working without any problem.

No Events found!