Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

July 20th, 2020 11:00

What drivers, if any, to install after Win 10 re-installation

Since it was some times since I did a complete Win 10-reinstall I have a question; after the re-installation of Win 10 on my old XPS 15 (9530, Late 2013);

1. do I still need to download all the drivers etc from Dell Support or is it enough to install SupportAssist and/or Dell Update and have them take care of all that?
  2. if SupportAssist and/or Dell Update don't take care of it, should I download all drivers or can I let some of them be?
  3. if I need to download and install drivers, and in what order should they be installed (there was a FAQ for that previously which I cannot find today)?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 20th, 2020 12:00

@swehjo  I got my XPS 15 9530 when it first launched, so it came with Win8.1, but I moved to Windows 10.  When I do a clean install, I just installed the latest versions of all available drivers while the system is still offline, then let Windows Update replace whatever it wants.

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

August 4th, 2020 08:00

For the record; I did a new Win 10 install and installed the drivers present on Dell.com for the model and then run Windows update. No new HD or anything else. The machine runs as it should, at least so far. But I'll keep an eye on that HD for sure because the "crash" is odd. 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@swehjo  Do you have any devices throwing errors in Device Manager?  If not, then I wouldn't worry about drivers either except maybe for some cases I'm about to name.  If you do need drivers based on Device Manager's state, then Dell Update is a reasonable way to go.  If the Dell-provided drivers are older than what Windows is already using, then typically the Dell-provided drivers won't install or won't even be offered in the first place.  So I don't consider using that to be as significant a risk as @Tesla1856 does.  But you can download them straight from support.dell.com or even the component vendor if you really don't want to use Dell Update.

SupportAssist to my knowledge these days won't even operate on systems where the warranty has expired.  At least that's what I remember reading. But since I wouldn't use it for anything other than driver/firmware updates anyway, which Dell Update can provide, I don't know from personal experience.

Especially on older systems where the vendor isn't keeping drivers current, I typically get my WiFi and discrete GPU drivers directly from the vendor, which would be Intel and NVIDIA, respectively, in your case.  Intel Graphics drivers still need to be obtained from the vendor unless you want to use the "Have Disk" method to force a driver downloaded from Intel to install.  The regular Intel Graphics installer will throw an error that will block you.

Driver sequence doesn't really matter.  The only dependency I remember from when I had the XPS 15 9530 is that the NFC reader driver required Intel ME to be installed first, so in that case you had to install Intel ME first, but that's a relatively rare occurrence.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

On a machine that old, that is to now run Windows-10 64bit ...

I would not install any Dell drivers, and especially not SupportAssist or Dell Update.

- Windows Update should load all drivers on most machines. Device Manager should be clean and free of error-ed devices. Generally, at this point ... I do not mess with working devices, or Dell validated drivers for any that are not in error. Maybe drop-by Nvidia.com or AMD.com and pickup a WHQL desktop video card driver. I suggest you "keep it lean".

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/m-p/6073081/highlight/true#M3401

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

This machine has always run on Win 10. At least my initial installation (always do that to be on the safe side) and probably also one or two subsequent reinstallations I've used the drivers found on Dells support site. But now they seem a bit old....  I can however tell you that SupportAssist and Dell Update have worked flawlessly on this machine.

A few days ago, something started to happen with the PC (Windows update or a HD failure?!) and I did a clean Win 10 install, without the Dell drivers, which worked ~12h but not any longer. I thought it could be the lack of these drivers that gave me the problems after the re-installation. But as I've understood you both, and the link, that oughtn't to have been the case.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 20th, 2020 20:00

Not sure how a machine purchased in 2013 could have came with Windows-10 ... that wasn't released until the Summer of 2015. 

If the main drive is 7 years old, then it likely crashed or is failing (especially, if it's a spinning HDD). You can run Crystal Disk-Info (or Passmark Disk) to see it's SMART status.

You didn't do any repairs yet. There is no good explanation for your Windows to just "get corrupt" ... other than a failing drive. Yes, I've seen large Windows-Updates (or the large yearly version upgrades) kill borderline HDDs. 

Personally, I would just install a 256-512gb SSD and try again.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/fixed/m-p/5627126/highlight/true#M128687

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

July 20th, 2020 23:00

Na, it was bought December 2014 (Dell names it "Late 2013" in my Product list). But yes, obviously it must have run Win 8 for some time...

We'll see during the coming days how it runs. The HD will be replaced if I can the PC to function, or at least get a clear indication that the HD is faulty.

July 21st, 2020 04:00

Go to system under control panel and manually check for updates for each driver.

Don't trust Dell assistant or windows.

the 2004 update did not update 6 drivers.

Intel drivers are the biggest culprit

No Events found!