Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 19th, 2022 13:00

Why can we not add 2nd SSD to 9710 laptop?

XPS 17 9710

XPS 17 9710

Why are we not allowed to add a 2nd hard drive to our laptops? the 512 is barely sufficient for anything but an OS and program platform, but some dev and design work requires more space. In all the manuals, it says that you can update ONLY if you have one preconfigured in the slot?  

What gives? I've never had a limitation on any Dell box on what I was allowed to use, and adding supported hardware should always be allowed? 

PLEASE give us the logic for this ridiculous constraint...

Thank you.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 20th, 2022 18:00

@OldWarEagle07 wrote:

0. HOWEVER, when you say un-block in Properties..  this another layer in 11? 

1. Looks like a service call... dang it..

2. Neither install gets past the RST warning message...   

Thanks!..

0. Yeah, you click "More Options" or similar and it brings up the whole list and you can click Properties. I use the Registry hack that makes it more like Windows-10. Either way, it works fine.

1a. That would be last resort. I really doubt anything is wrong with your motherboard. 

1b. Are you running the latest BIOS?

2. Weird. Sounds like a corrupt Windows install. Instead of trying to fix it, I would just clean install Windows-11. Create the perfect flash drive here:

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

Only the 512gb NVMe SSD should be installed/connected inside for now (as C-Drive still). New SSD in desk drawer.

Verify laptop has the latest BIOS.

Be sure it passes ePSA Diagnostics (outside of Windows).

If you leave BIOS on RAID, you will need to install Intel Optane MaSM v18.x after doing Windows-11 First Time Setup and a few reboots.

If instead switching to AHCI, do that now (before installing Windows-11). If AHCI, then NO Intel Optane MaSM (or other Intel VMD) should installed on laptop (ever).

Only AC-Adapter connected. Boot flash-drive and clean install Windows to blank SSD. Install to "Unpartitioned Space".

Do the Windows-11 First Time Setup and reboot. It will Activate genuine automatically.

Install Windows-Updates. Work toward a "clean" Device-Manager (ie, all devices detected and working with no error-ed devices).

Write back.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

September 19th, 2022 15:00

Here's what the storage information actually says

Storage

This section lists the storage options on your XPS 17 9710.

Your XPS 17 9710 supports one of the following storage options:
  • One M.2 2230 solid-state drive (requires an M.2 2230 solid-state drive thermal bracket)
  • One M.2 2280 solid-state drive
  • Two M.2 2280 solid-state drives
  • One M.2 2230 solid-state drive (requires an M.2 2230 solid-state drive thermal bracket) and one M.2 2280 solid-state drive
Table 1. Storage specifications
STORAGE TYPE INTERFACE TYPE CAPACITY

M.2 2230 solid-state drive

PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, up to 32 Gbps

Up to 256 GB

M.2 2280 solid-state drive

PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, up to 32 Gbps

Up to 1 TB

M.2 2280 solid-state drive

PCIe NVMe Gen4 x4, up to 64 Gbps

Up to 4 TB

While it is true you may require mounting hardware that the system does not include if you ordered with just one SSD, you can purchase that from Dell, parts-people.com, etc. and install a second drive youreself.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 19th, 2022 18:00

While I don't think that a 512gb NVMe-SSD is quite as "space challenged" as you describe, you can surely install another inside. That's where I would put it (inside).

I suggest you read less Internet and more XPS-9710 Service Manual PDF (and other Dell XPS-9710 PDFs docs). If you have specific questions, we will be glad to help (questions that don't require us to actually own a XPS-9710, that we must open and look inside for you).

If you are not up to the task, I suggest you visit your local reputable computer shop. I'm sure they can help you out.

Yeah,   I got all that.. 

I have an M2 2280 2TB gen 4 PICe NVMe from Crucial that is specific to Dell.  I don't want to crack the case if all I can do is just see it in the BIOS.   This is what I have found on the web, so I'm a little hesitant about going through the pain.  OR just putting the drive in a case and using it externally as it defeats the purpose of a laptop (everything in one package)...

And the service manual indicates everything is there for the mount, just need the drive... 

Thanks. 

I've read the service manuals, and the setup pdf's.  Been doing this for a while, so yeah, I look at the Internet when I need an idea, but really don't take it as gospel.  And the drive is in the box and is seen by the BIOS, but it looks like it is the Intel VMD that hoses the NVMe detection as there doesn't seem to be a way to update that with the Crucial signature / driver required.  Drivers shouldn't be an issue as this is Dell specific, but I am continuing to look through everything. 

And between my photography and Tensor / ML stuff, 512 gets full pretty quick..  I have 9TB on my desktop and it's sketchy at times. 

Thanks.

-Sam 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 19th, 2022 22:00

Not sure what external enclosure you are using, but between it's interface and translation software, who knows. Lets ignore all that for now because you want it installed inside anyway.

First, there is no "Dell Specific" M.2/2280/NVMe SSD. It will use any industry standard one. There are also no Dell drivers required.

Sounds like you have the XPS-9710 BIOS set to RAID (which is fine). So yes, inside Windows you should have Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management (Intel's current VMD software) installed.

Install the completely blank SSD inside the laptop.
It will likely appear in BIOS.
Inside Windows, go to Disk Management
Is should detect the new SSD. Initialize as GPT, partition it as a Simple Volume, and format as NTFS.

By Blank, I mean no partitions and completely raw and un-initialized. The DiskPart clean command will do this for you.

Finally, it doesn't sound like you are running in AHCI mode, but it should be noted that there are not any special AHCI drivers either (Windows 10/11 has everything you need). My testing revealed that using (single disk) RAID-Mode and Intel-Optane-MaSM is faster than vanilla AHCI in my XPS-9520.

September 20th, 2022 03:00

Umm ..  Yep.. 

• Blank SSD.  Shows in BIOS.. 
  • Does NOT show in Disk Management.  
  • IS running in the default RAID / VMD setup.  I have considered swapping that mode, but waiting for time to do OS recovery as it won't read the current boot partition when mode is swapped. 
  • "Dell Specific" is only relating to hardware is listed as acceptable (and sold) by Dell and the vendor (in this case Crucial) says it is also compatible with Dell systems.  I used to work on Gateway and original Compaq's who's internals were proprietary (which is why they are not here any more, for the most part).

SO I am thinking I may have to switch to the AHCI/NVMe option (as listed in the BIOS), but was hoping there was some way I could avoid it.  I am going back through my software listings and making sure I hadn't missed anything else that may assist. 

At least I only have my tools loaded, and no major data dumps in place. 

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

September 20th, 2022 04:00

The disc will not show up in Windows until you partition and format it.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-format-new-hard-drive-windows-10

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 20th, 2022 08:00

@OldWarEagle07 wrote:

Also, the reason I need to get the space,

I run VMWare Workstation and usually run 2 small server class machines for testing, so the 512 does tend to evaporate quickly when you put up a couple of 2 core, 120Gig machines at a single time. 

This project makes more sense now.

Yeah, 95% of owners don't run something like that on their laptop ... so a 512gb SSD C-Drive is normally way-fine.

No problem. Thanks for the clarification. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@OldWarEagle07 wrote:

Umm ..  Yep.. 

1a. Shows in BIOS.. 1b. Blank SSD. 

2. Does NOT show in Disk Management.  

3. IS running in the default RAID / VMD setup.  I have considered swapping that mode, but waiting for time to do OS recovery as it won't read the current boot partition when mode is swapped. 

4. "Dell Specific" is only relating to hardware is listed as acceptable (and sold) by Dell and the vendor (in this case Crucial) says it is also compatible with Dell systems.  I used to work on Gateway and original Compaq's who's internals were proprietary (which is why they are not here any more, for the most part).

5. SO I am thinking I may have to switch to the AHCI/NVMe option (as listed in the BIOS), but was hoping there was some way I could avoid it.  I am going back through my software listings and making sure I hadn't missed anything else that may assist. 

6. At least I only have my tools loaded, and no major data dumps in place. 

7. Thanks.

1a. Good it shows in BIOS as that means the hardware-part is correct ( and MB and SSD are "good"). Over first hurdle.

1b. It must be VERY blank (like raw), Please, just go ahead and DiskPart clean it.

2. I forget ... is there a Refresh or Scan Hardware in there ?

3a. Should be fine as RAID. Reason we know that is the existing NVMe-SSD is working,. 

3b. So, it is Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management, right? What version?

4. Understood, no problem.

5. See #3 above. Switching to AHCI is a whole other procedure.

6. Smart. Yeah, I don't start loading a bunch of stuff until my BIOS and drives are setup the way I want them.

7. You are welcome. Hard problems are fine ... gets the mind thinking. It's like a puzzle. We'll figure it out soon.

Also, the reason I need to get the space, I run VMWare Workstation and usually run 2 small server class machines for testing, so the 512 does tend to evaporate quickly when you put up a couple of 2 core, 120Gig machines at a single time. 

I didn't think to mention as it is something I always do so it is in background, both on the PC and in my thought processes...

Thanks.

Disk does not show up in the Disk Management tool. Can't format or partition it if the OS doesn't acknowledge it exists.  Only BIOS sees it. 

September 20th, 2022 09:00

Thanks for the help.. 

1.b. It should be blank, as I just pulled it from the package, and the BIOS indicates a valid signature. Should I pull it and put it in an external enclosure to do the clean just to be sure?

2.  There are several, but nothing in the BIOS, and I have tried all that are available in Win11.

3. May be the biggest issue in that the IBM Optaine memory driver (RST) may be dorked.  When I try to pull up the app, it fails... miserably.. 

intelFailedtoLaunch.png

 I've tried to look into reinstall or finding the latest, but no joy there.  Need to check back on Dell's side, though as Intel's seems to be different release level (behind this one).  May be the whole issue, but ...

5. Yep, because unless I have my own Win11 install, I'll put all this back in place....

Things are back on the "make it overly complicated" track it seems.  

I really do appreciate the help and direction with this.  Apologies for some of the snappy-ness, too.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 20th, 2022 10:00

@OldWarEagle07 wrote:

Thanks for the help.. 

1.b. It should be blank, as I just pulled it from the package, and the BIOS indicates a valid signature. Should I pull it and put it in an external enclosure to do the clean just to be sure?

2.  There are several, but nothing in the BIOS, and I have tried all that are available in Win11.

3. May be the biggest issue in that the IBM Intel Optane memory driver (RST) may be dorked.  When I try to pull up the app, it fails... miserably.. 

I've tried to look into reinstall or finding the latest, but no joy there.  Need to check back on Dell's side, though as Intel's seems to be different release level (behind this one).  May be the whole issue, but ...

5. Yep, because unless I have my own Win11 install, I'll put all this back in place....

6. Things are back on the "make it overly complicated" track it seems.  

7. I really do appreciate the help and direction with this.  Apologies for some of the snappy-ness, too.

1. Well, under the circumstances, I would go ahead and DiskPart Clean it. Maybe it somehow got Initialized (incorrectly) as MBR (instead of GPT) but still has no partitions on it. However, in light of your new discovery of corrupt Intel Optane MaSM ... you can probably fix that first and come-back to this troubleshooting step later. Just don't forget to try it soon if needed.

2. No, I meant in Windows Disk Management. I was wondering if there was a "forced refresh and/or detection" available as an option in there.

3. Yes, that looks broken. In Windows-11, you use Intel's current VMD which is Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management. 

On my XPS-15 (9520), I'm running Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management v19.x

What's interesting about it is:

a. Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management only shows as installed in (new normal) Settings/Apps. It does NOT appear in (legacy) Control-Panel/Programs and Features. This is the first App I've seen do this, but I suppose we should look-out-for-it now-days.

b. Intel Optane MaSM doesn't appear in the TaskTray any more. However, there is a full GUI App for it and you can pin-it to your Start-Menu.

5. Cool. If you do end-up clean-installing Windows (like you want to switch to AHCI) ... I would suggest using Microsoft's genuine version (not Dell's).

6. My trick is I never assume anything is going to be easy. Then, I'm surprised and happy when it sometimes is. Remember, it's just a puzzle.

7. No worries. If you find yourself getting stressed-out, just take a break.

September 20th, 2022 11:00

That error occurs when I click on the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management application link in the start menu.. 

Just more fun to track.. 

Thanks. 

No Events found!