Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

15 Posts

July 25th, 2019 21:00

Windows 10 clean install onto new SSD

trying to install new SSD in laptop. I downloaded the windows bootable onto an 8gb USB and changed BIOS to enable legacy boot. Windows 10 install wizard goes through the motions, installs on 1TB partition. Then just keeps looping the install wizard. If I change BIOS to UEFI boot then I get no bootable drive found error. 

Anyone have suggestions? I'm getting quite frustrated. On my ol SSD I've kept pretty up to date on drivers and stuff from Dell's page, could check that again I guess

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 26th, 2019 04:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Mathete 

Just after the first reboot did you remove the 8GB USB???

If not it will just keep looping until you remove it???

Best regards,

U2

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 26th, 2019 05:00

Why did you switch to Legacy boot?

What system, full model number, and what type of drive.

15 Posts

July 27th, 2019 06:00

I have successfully installed thanks to you actually! I guess I just figured I needed to switch to legacy boot without even trying standard. All I did was restore bios settings, downloaded install media to a new 32gb usb (this may have be a contributing factor to the success), put in the new ssd, and plugged in the usb and it did everything automatically the way it was supposed to.

I did encounter some "bad pool caller" crashes the first time- think it had to do with updating drivers manually, anyways re-installed and let windows take its time updating and all seems to be stable now thankfully.

No Events found!