Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2018 05:00

XPS 11 9P33, Battery Will Not Charge

I have a 2013 Dell XPS 11 9P33 Windows 10 I put into storage for a year or so and recently brought back out.  It's had very little use and is a backup laptop, and was fine before storage.  Now I find the battery charge is stuck at 1%, and I get an error message at boot telling me the battery can't be identified as a Dell battery and needs to be replaced - BIOS reports the same error.  Power button flashes white/yellow when the AC Adapter is plugged in.  I've seen similar problems reported on other Dell models and it's usually seen as a chip/BIOS issue rather than a battery issue.  I've done the battery pull and 30 second power button push to no avail.  I'm using the OEM Dell charger that came with the unit and otherwise works normally.   Dell Battery Health says the battery is Normal.  Dell has suggested on other models that the BIOS needs to be updated, and there is a new 2018 BIOS available for the XPS11, but it won't install unless the battery is at least 10% charged.  What other solutions are available? - I've seen people that replaced the battery and/or the power adapter on other Dell models with this issue and it didn't work.  

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 30th, 2018 06:00

If the system DOES recognize the AC adapter (F2 at powerup to check), but does not recognize the battery, replace the battery.

If the system does not recognize the AC adapter, 

First:  try a new OEM Dell adapter.  If it is not recognized, replace the DC jack.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?gt=b1&action=item&utm_expid=6199460-42.YlfEXTnLQfaN1hrNQCVNtw.1&id=15933&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.parts-people.com%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dcategory%26id%3D143%26subid%3D461%26refine%3Ddc%2Bjack

If that doesn't get the adapter recognized, replace the system board.

This is a hardware issue with the battery, AC adapter, DC jack or mainboard - or some combination of these.  It will not be solved with a BIOS update.

4 Posts

October 30th, 2018 09:00

The system does recognize the AC adapter.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 30th, 2018 10:00

Unplug the system, disconnect the battery and hold the power button 30 sec.  See if that gets the battery recognized.  If not, replace the battery.

4 Posts

October 30th, 2018 15:00

Yep..as I said in the opening note...already tried that to no avail.  I'm ordering a battery but wish I felt sure that was the actual problem.  Half the time the Dell Battery Health checker says fine, the other half it's 0-1% charged.  BIOS continues to report battery non-Dell.  Switched AC Adapters - no effect.  

No Events found!