Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 6th, 2018 23:00

XPS 13 2-in-1, crackling speakers

Hi everyone, 

I bought the Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 two weeks which I found is a great laptop. But the speakers started crackling just after 2 days. So I returned it to the store (thanks to JB HIFI) and they replaced it with new laptop. But the second one also has exactly the same problem. The store manager told me that I just could be unlucky please try one more time and replaced it with third new Dell XPS but guess what the third one exactly has the same issue.

I have paid 2500 AUD and it is of no use. What is the use of great screen quality and great audio if you cannot watch anything due to cracking sound? If you open more applications or unplug it from power, crackling starts increasing.

This is otherwise a great laptop but nobody would want to use such an expensive laptop without facility of good audio. I finally returned it and got my money refunded and planning to buy not Dell.

Dell, please you must work on this issue permanently as many users are facing this issue otherwise you will lose many customers like me, who trusted boast from Dell to provide premium quality products (Dell XPS) and for which I have paid huge amount. 

Thanks

2 Posts

September 18th, 2018 19:00

I am also experiencing this issue. I have not returned the Laptop.

To add my observations:

• The crackling occurs through headsets (plugged into the side) as well the Dell speaker.
  • Using a dynadock and speakers attached to that seems to have a better result. 

Please help - Skype is a major part of my work-life

October 13th, 2018 03:00

Hey , Did you get any permanent solution?

10 Posts

December 26th, 2018 17:00

I have the same issue. Have tried all the recommended fixes and nothing works for more than a short while.

There are scores of complaints about this issue on the XPS 15" also kand DELL is doing nothing about it.

the long thread starts here: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-Audio-crackling-and-popping/td-p/6105798

• 

25.7K Posts

December 27th, 2018 11:00

Hi,

Thanks for posting here. I will be glad to assist you.

Here are the steps you can follow to resolve this issue :

1. Open Device Manager > Expand options under Sound, video and game controller> Uninstall Realtek(R) Audio.

2. Uninstall maxxaudio pro from settings->apps>programs and features.

3. Download and Install Realtek package from here https://dell.to/2VdPNSr

4. Restart the system and check.

If the issue still persists, I’d like you to run the basic hardware diagnostics to check the hardware functionality of your system along with a quick audio test to test the speaker's functionality. This video has instructions on how to run the test: dell.to/2gEuPZz and share the test results along with system Service Tag, registered name and email address via private message.

To send a private message, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (DCFAdmin) & send a private message with the above details.

-Farooq

10 Posts

December 27th, 2018 15:00

Thank you so much, Farooq, for your response.

I believe this is what I have already done. I will go through the steps again to make sure, and run the diagnostics if the problem is not resolved. Besides the crackling, there are times when the volume seems to modulate automatically and the sound gets "muddy."

also: There is no moderator in touch with all the many (quite upset) users posting about this issue at: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-Audio-crackling-and-popping/td-p/6105798. 

I'll get back with you in a few days when I will have the time to address this.

Thanks again,

Lee

2 Posts

January 6th, 2019 19:00

Hello Farooq

Thank you for replying to this thread. I have tried your steps and can report that will all drivers up to date as at 7-Jan-2019, the issue has returned within a couple of hours.

I will run the diagnostics as per the dell link a bit later today and reply via private message.

Please don't give up on us.

Pete

2 Posts

January 6th, 2019 19:00

It's shocked to find a lot of user experiencing the same crackling sound problem with XPS like me.  I'm from Hong Kong and just bought my XPS 15 9570 last week.  I can't believe such a high-end model having this kind of problem but Dell didn't fix it for a long period.  I love my XPS. but the crackling sound problem is really unacceptable and made me very dissapointed.  Whether Dell have figured out solution or not yet ???

10 Posts

February 5th, 2019 04:00

Been a little while, but wanted you to know I followed your instructions and the situation improved, but only if I added the step of turning off Wave Maxx. Of course, without Wave, the speakers sound awful like on a cheap laptop.

And there is still crackling (like an electronic clicking) --  audible with earbuds -- most times when I'll switch apps or there is some change occurring in the laptop.

Is there going to be a fix (that is actually coming -- people with 9570 have been promised a fix for months and nothing has happened)? Am I stuck in the same rut as the people with the 9570?

How about just replacing my laptop? My warranty will be up in a few months and I don't want to be stuck with this very overpriced piece of ..well ... not very good laptop.

1 Message

May 26th, 2020 01:00

Did you already solve your crackling noise issue?

I had the exact same problem with my 9365 2 in 1 but only if i used headphones with the 3,5mm jack.

Try disabling the "Signal enhancements" in the Windows sound options that worked perfectly fine for me!

Kind Regards

Silvio Portner

September 30th, 2021 10:00

I was searching a solution to this problem. Nothing helped other than installing the following driver from the dell website

Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_HY5TT_WIN_6.0.9008.1_A07

I already had installed Realtek Audio driver. But sound was still crackling. So I upgraded to the above mentioned driver and got the crispy audio. I am using dell XPS 13-9365. The driver size was 382mbs. while installing the driver, the previous driver was uninstalled first, restart the pc, automatic installation wizard will popup. After completing the installation, restart again.

No Events found!