Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

1 Message

February 8th, 2019 02:00

XPS 13 2018 ( 9370) very disappointing battery life

Hello, i have the XPS 13 2018 ( 9370) , I7, 4K , 16RAM model. the computer is great, strong , useful and i enjoy it in general. the one BIG issue is the battery life, even on 40% brightness , i can get 4.5-5 hours of real usage. my wife's Macbook Air ( 3-4 year old ) can easily do 10 hours. how can such an expensive laptop provide such a poor battery life ?

9.4K Posts

February 8th, 2019 04:00

Hi EM217,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Here is information from the Dell Knowledge Base you may find helpful:

How to Troubleshoot Dell Laptop Battery Issues

If you've tried the steps in that article, still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If it's a software issue or there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

247 Posts

February 8th, 2019 13:00

4K models use a lot more battery life. Look up any review that is the biggest problem with any 4K resolution notebook. Add to that you have 16 Gb ram and a core i7 and those add up to power robbing hardware. Also, do you use Chrome or Firefox, they also eat up battery so I typically use Edge when I need more battery life. Also play with power management and turn settings down to power saver when you can. The Macbook Air is a completely different hardware setup with a lower resolution and bigger capacity battery. It does not have the Retina display. Apple has also been known for tweaking their OS and hardware for maximum benefit in power conserving. I believe your 4K screen is touch as well which also adds to battery draw so if you don't need it turn it off.

3 Posts

June 21st, 2019 12:00

I have the 9380 version of the XPS with i7-8565U, 16GB Ram, and 4K Touch-screen and can also attest to the terrible battery life. 

I'm running on Ubuntu 18.10 with screen dimmed almost all the way down, keyboard back-light off and have only been doing simple internet browsing via brave browser; and i cannot manage to get better than 5.5 hrs of battery life out of the computer. 

2 Posts

July 30th, 2019 11:00

Hi, did you get any response or resolution from Dell? I have the XPS 13 2018 ( 9365) , I7, 2in1, 16RAM model - battery lasts only 3hours. First battery died and had to be sent back to dell - they replaced the battery but still it only lasts about 3hours on low brightness. It was advertised as 8hours up to 12hours! I would not have bough the laptop had I known the battery life would be so bad.

9.4K Posts

July 31st, 2019 03:00

Hi pm2019,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

2 Posts

August 1st, 2019 10:00

Hi dell-robert p,
Appreciate the reply. The computer is still under warranty. Happy to send you my information and computer's service tag number. I'm not very familiar with sending private messages on this forum, can you confirm this is a private message?
Thank you.

9.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 02:00

Unfortunately, no, this is still public.  Please follow the instructions in this post:  https://dell.to/2MyttkD  

Thanks

3 Posts

August 2nd, 2019 05:00

@Johnnythegeek  I think the 4K screen indeed might be the battery killer here. I got the XPS 13 9370 with the full HD screen (brightness at 70%) and get around 6-7 hours on a battery in constant use.

August 3rd, 2019 04:00

I too have the 9370 with touch screen, 16gb ram, 8650U i7 7 processor, 1tb ssd,. My system's battery is lasting only 3.5-4hrs. So bad! I have a 3 year extended warranty on my system with is still covered. Overall cost close to $2,600 USD Please tell me what is the problem and how can I get a better life without compromising my experience. Disappointed!! Thanks Trevor
No Events found!