Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 3rd, 2020 18:00

XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 Boot Issues

I found two threads describing the same problem as I face currently.

The XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 won't boot if it is connected via USB-C to my Philips Brilliance 499P (Ultra Wide) monitor. The Dell logo appears on the external monitor and that's it. It's stuck there.

Similiar problems:
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9370-2-in-1-U4919DW-boot-issue/td-p/7396177
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Boot-issues-XPS-13-7390-2-in-1/td-p/7368096

More info:
- BIOS Version: 1.3.1
- The problem only appears with closed lid. If it is open during boot the Dell logo appears on the laptop screen and it boots just fine.
- Tried different changes in UEFI without success: Disabled fastboot, enabled "show fullscreen logo", changed boot device order, disabled USB Boot, disabled "power on Dell Dock"
- Disabled Windows 10 fast startup
- SMM Security (mentioned in the other threads) is already enabled 
- After a successful boot all peripherals (monitor and devices connected to its USB hub) work correctly
- Windows Eventlog and UEFI Boot Log do not show any issues
- If the issue occurs I have to do the same workaround as described in the linked thread. Unplug the laptop, force power-off, restart and connect to the monitor once booted into Windows.

Are there any updates on this matter? Thanks!

5 Posts

October 5th, 2020 19:00

Update: The newest BIOS update 1.6.2 finally fixes the issue for me

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 4th, 2020 08:00

Can we assume, since you point to a specific external monitor, that another external monitor will work?

I have seen some comments in the Windows Updates regarding external monitors.  Maybe your situation is one of those.  But the system is modern standby and when the lid is closed, the system is supposed to go into low power mode..  So I wonder if just having the external monitor attached would change that operation..

Do you have a Dock you could try?

5 Posts

May 4th, 2020 09:00

Well, I have a USB-C dock and external monitors at the office (where I can't really go because of known reasons). But I'm happy to share if it works with this setup once I'm able to test it.

But I don't think the issue is related to my specific monitor, because it also occurs with an ultra-wide model from Dell (https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9370-2-in-1-U4919DW-boot-issue/td-p/7396177) and Dell's Thunderbolt Dock (https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln320315/xps-7390-2-in-1-no-video-on-external-screens-when-powered-on-with-closed-lid-on-wd19tb?lang=en).
I'm not sure whether modern standby has an influence here. Wouldn't that prevent the display from showing anything at all? Currently it shows the Dell Logo and gets stuck there forever.

The problem does not occur when connected to my TV using an USB-C to HDMI Adapter, plugged-in AC and closed lid while booting. But I noticed heavy image distortion while duplicating (instead of extending) the laptop screen with the TV.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 4th, 2020 10:00

I am also not sure whether the Modern Standby situation would be involved.

If you system has more than one USB C port, which one are you connecting to?

I will see if I have a Thunderbolt USB C cable and try it with my 9365 2-in-1..

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 4th, 2020 12:00

I don't have a USB C video type cable but I do have a Dock.  My external monitor would shutdown when I closed the lid.  I went to the Advanced Power Management and changed what happens when the lid is closed from sleep to "Do Nothing"..  The external monitor stayed on with the lid closed..

I did order a cable and will try that when it arrives in a few days..

5 Posts

May 4th, 2020 23:00

So the XPS 7390 has two USB-C/Thunderbolt ports, the issue occurs with both of them.

Just to be clear: My monitor and all peripherals connected to it work fine once the laptop has booted, even with the lid closed. It's just that it won't boot with the lid closed while connected to the monitor (which has an integrated USB hub and USB Power Delivery) and gets stuck.

• 

25.7K Posts

May 5th, 2020 00:00

Thank you for the update case is escalated to our supervisor we will update you as soon as we have an update.^PC

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 5th, 2020 06:00

My 9365 does boot normally with the lid closed, when using a Dock.  I won't be able to test the USB C cable until it is received and I will update then.

While looking for a USB C cable, I noticed some will only do 4K, which you may not even have, in 30 Hz which indicates it is a lower quality.. The one I ordered will do 60 Hz, just it case it might matter...but I don't have 4K either..

May 5th, 2020 11:00

I believe I've seen this as well, though I haven't really pursued it (since it hasn't been a big inconvenience up until now).

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 6th, 2020 10:00

My 9365 did boot normally from shutdown..  The monitor came up using the USB C Display Port cable.  My second USB C port, the one I was using, is not Thunderbolt but just a Display Port.

It does take a while for the external monitor to come up..

• 

25.7K Posts

May 6th, 2020 23:00

Good Day. I am following to keep you informed that the case is escalated and we are awaiting update from the concern team. We shall notify you as soon as there a update. ^MP

9 Posts

July 19th, 2020 17:00

xps 15 9500 same issue, the sytem stucked on logo with the monitor connected when lid closed,

try many bios setup, not working

2 Posts

July 31st, 2020 06:00

We have exactly the same problems with our XPS 13. You reboot and the dell logo shows on the external monitor and then the laptop freezes

5 Posts

July 31st, 2020 07:00

I'm also still experiencing this problem. Apparently they were able to fix a similar problem with their WD19TB docking solution by pushing a firmware update for the dock: https://www.dell.com/support/article/de-ch/sln320315/xps-7390-2-in-1-no-video-on-external-screens-when-powered-on-with-closed-lid-on-wd19tb?lang=en.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 04:00

well i am not using any docking station. direct usb c cable to a dell ultrawide 49

No Events found!