Start a Conversation

Unsolved

LR

4 Posts

May 9th, 2020 17:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 Touchpad stops working after sleep

Occasionally the trackpad on my  XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 stops working when I resume from sleep.

A restart always fixes this issue.

It's done it since I got it 3 months ago.

6 Posts

July 4th, 2020 17:00

JFWG - thank you for posting. your suggestion makes sense as i too have fixed external mouse with similar power setting. currently testing and hope for the best on the internal trackpad.  because the issue is quite intermittent - i've never been able to reproduce the issue on demand. probably 1 in 5 sleep cycles. ill keep testing and hopefully this is the "fix"

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

July 5th, 2020 06:00

All such suggestions work only for external mouse. I already disabled sleep mode mostly for all bluetooth devices but my touchpad still doesn't work! It's crazy that I have to reboot my laptop every time it goes to sleep.

89 Posts

July 5th, 2020 20:00

Trying something similar on my Latitude 7400. I think it might be Windows 10 2004....sure a driver or Windows piece might need to be updated. Who knows you might figure it out though. Usually use an external mouse....but still annoying when it has gone to sleep and I grab my laptop to go to a meeting room just to find my touch pad doesn't work!

mvalpreda_0-1594005204049.png

7 Posts

July 8th, 2020 10:00

I just realized the touchpad problem recently. The touchpad became very sluggish to respond after resume from sleep. (It didn't actually stop working. If you tap and hold for a little while, it will respond and let you move the cursor.)

After reading this post https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-7390-trackpad-gestures-not-working/m-p/7436001#M38729, which is for a different issue, I downloaded and installed these following 2 drivers from Dell support site. After I did it, the touchpad seems to back to normal. (But I've only tested it for a few hours.)

• Intel Serial IO Driver
  • Intel HID Event Filter Driver

8 Posts

July 8th, 2020 13:00

My symptom is a random freezing on a XPS 7590.

A quick press of the on/off button always resolves the issue.

Still a nuisance though.

July 8th, 2020 14:00

Its your USB drivers and power management control.

Hibernation on a XPS with windows.

July 27th, 2020 08:00

I have the same problem on a new 7590. The touchpad stops responding, typically after sleep. If I hold my finger still on the pad for a second and then move it works, but that's an undesired feature for a premium laptop.

I've updated the two drivers mentioned on this thread. I've disabled gestures. I've disabled the touchscreen. I don't have any external USB devices attached. I ran SupportAssist today, most recently, and am up to date. The problem persists.

Can anyone offer any further advice?

July 27th, 2020 11:00

Hi @timbarrass 

I'm having the same issue with my 7590. Once in a while, after resuming from sleep, the touchpad becomes intermittently unresponsive.

I'm running Windows 10 Home version 2004; in fact, I started seeing this issue only after updating to 2004, a few days ago.

Disabling and then reenabling the I2C HID Device (under Human Interface Devices) in the Device Manager brings it back to normal work. It's better that restarting the machine, but it's not a proper fix of course.

I also checked the Windows event logs and noticed a seemingly related error in the System log immediately after exiting sleep: "An attempt to configure the input mode of a multitouch device failed".

2020-07-27 Dell XPS 7590 Touchpad Issue - Windows Logs - System.png

Next time I come across the issue, I'll try removing and reinstalling the drivers for this device. Another thing to try will be to disallow power-off for this device in the Power Management tab. I'll post an update if any of this helps in the long run.

July 27th, 2020 12:00

Good spot: I see exactly the same event.

timbarrass_0-1595879624255.png

And we're not the only ones ... https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Driver-error/m-p/7623622/highlight/true#M63541

Thanks, that gives me somewhere to dig as well!

July 27th, 2020 23:00

For what it's worth, I was seeing a couple of times an hour yesterday.

I haven't seen it since preventing Windows from putting the touchpad to sleep (Device Manager > Human Interface Devices > I2C HID Device > Properties ... > Power Management tab) as Alex suggested above.

Scrub that: still occurs

6 Posts

July 30th, 2020 07:00

I made a cmd file with the following contents:

powershell -command "Get-PnpDevice -FriendlyName '*touch pad*'  | Disable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false"
powershell -command "Get-PnpDevice -FriendlyName '*touch pad*'  | Enable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false"

Then create a shortcut to it on your desktop. Go to the shortcut properties and under the shortcut tab -> advanced -> check "Run as Administrator. 

This way you can window + D to get to the desktop then arrow to the shortcut and hit enter. UAC will pop up but it's still less steps than navigating device manager with just a keyboard to disable and re enable the touchpad.

There may be a better way of doing this. 

July 30th, 2020 10:00

Hey @vladware,

Nice solution!

In my case, I'm using one of the NirSoft little tools to cycle the device:
C:\Tools\nirsoft_DevManView\DevManView.exe /disable_enable "I2C HID Device"

You can also create a task to run automatically when the error appears.

To do this, right-click the MTConfig error event in the System log and select "Attach Task to this Event" option. Then go through the wizard steps.

After the event is created, you can find it in the Task Scheduler in the Event Viewer Tasks section. You might need to change the settings to make sure it runs with the admin privileges and while on battery power (for me it doesn't by default). You can test-run the task there too.

Ugly but it works while we're waiting for Dell/MS to fix the issue

Best,
Alex

6 Posts

July 31st, 2020 08:00

@Alex Antsiferov Great idea with the automated task! 

8 Posts

August 1st, 2020 04:00

Dell just released new bios and HID driver so maybe this issue now fixed?

August 25th, 2020 07:00

@Alex Antsiferov Great idea on the automated task - still happening for me, am going to check for BIOS and other updates ... then inevitably set that up.

No Events found!