Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

8 Posts

June 28th, 2020 21:00

XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 frequent Blue Screens of Death

Hello everyone,

I am at my wit's end. I purchased my XPS13 7390 2in1 about three months ago, and it never worked properly. I have had countless BSoD on a daily basis. The laptop is almost useless if I don't get this problem under control.

I did contact Dell Support as I purchased a basic warranty. They ran the same diagnostics that I have also ran oomphteen times before, with the help of Dell Update and the support plugin. No hardware issues can be found.

I was told by Dell that this is a software issue but that I would only be helped further if I purchase additional support as software is not covered in my plan. Mind you, the laptop never worked properly to begin with but that doesn't seem to bother them.

So here are the facts:

- Ran all Dell-provided hardware tests. No fails.
- Ran Windows 10 provided memory tests. No fails.
- Ran System File Checks on cmd. Some files were repaired but that didn't do the trick.

- Installed the latest Dell BIOS update 1.4.0.
- Installed the latest Windows 10 2004 update (The laptop got a lot faster and better after that)

- Checked for updates on all drivers. All drivers appear to be up-to-date.

Noticed the following:

- Frequently the BSoD crashes occur on web browsers: Firefox and Chrome.
- Frequent crashes on YouTube in Firefox and Chrome. I then disabled hardware acceleration.
- Frequent crashes on JavaScript heavy websites.
- Crashed the other day after updating Skype
- Laptop runs hours without problems before it crashes.

- The BSoD errors are all over the place. No two seem to be the same. It's a different one every time. The recent last four have been:
- DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION
- KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE
- CRITICAL PROCESS DIED
- PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA

Please, I hope someone can help me and give me some pointers.

Thank you very much!

• 

25.7K Posts

June 28th, 2020 21:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

Please review this Dell article.

Windows 10 crashes to a blue screen

9 Posts

June 29th, 2020 08:00

I also have the same experience with my Dell XPS 13 7390 2-in-1, the 32 GB RAM, 512 GB , FHD+ version. I ran all those diagnostics and updated to the latest drivers and BIOS.

It frustrates me, everytime I browse on Chrome or Edge after hours of usage. 

BSOD is more highly likely when the laptop is plugged or when the fan is  at full speed.

When it is on battery, BSOD is very rare. But, of course that would only take 6-7 hours of usage before the battery runs out. And multiple BSOD keeps appear after the laptop is plugged.

Ive experienced this almost everytime since I bought my unit. Please help.

June 29th, 2020 10:00

Interestingly, I had my 7390 for months without blue screen issues. However, after the recent Windows 10 build 2004 update, I've seen a few of them. Hasn't yet been enough of an issue to look deeply into it, but...

9 Posts

June 30th, 2020 00:00

Does it happen when plugged to power or not? Even when I leave it idle, the laptop will eventually go to BSOD.

As for me, it is indeed becoming more noticeable after I start to update to latest driver/BIOS/Windows Update....

I did try to rollback update and even reset to factory settings. At this point i am thinking to disable Windows and all Driver Update altogether :(.

July 1st, 2020 10:00

I've experienced the same problems with mine, brand new XPS 13 7390 2-in-1, 32 GB RAM.  However, I always get the same BSOD error code : DRIVER VERIFIER DMA VIOLATION.

All drivers are up to date, including BIOS, but I still get the BSOD and, sometimes, twice or more in the same day.  I think that the problem has something to do with the Dell WD19TB docking station, it happend twice after disconnecting and reconnecting the laptop to the dock.

Very annoying and can't find any fix on the web

1 Message

July 2nd, 2020 08:00

I have the same problem, different model (2020 version of this xps13 2-in-1, 32Gb etc..) I had the motherboard replaced by Dell support and formatted the PC from scratch (installed the 2004 build of windows 10) and it still sometimes happens. I also get freezes - usually when playing audio and doing something heavy like compiling or other CPU intensive work

If this is a software issue - its one of Dell's drivers for sure...

Add BSOD / freezes to the by-design the thermal throttling and this laptop is useless.

6 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 09:00

I have the same issues. Did more tweaks in windows in addition to what you posted. Still the same. No response from Dell yet on this.

1 Message

July 3rd, 2020 14:00

I also have the same problem with my 7390 2 in 1 (16G+512G FHD version). It happens with various kinds of stop code, like SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE, CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT... Haven't tried to restore or reinstall the system, as reconfiguring the system is not easy for me.

Just found this is not rare, and many people have reported this problem. I really hope dell can solve this problem, this should never happen on laptops at this price.

1 Message

July 4th, 2020 23:00

Same here. 3 months old XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 with 32Gb and with the Killer Wi-Fi.

Thermal throttling almost makes this laptop useless, BSODs on top of it make it as useful as door stop.

And to think this is Dell's top-of-the-line laptop. Useless.

6 Posts

July 6th, 2020 05:00

Did anybody get a response from Dell Support? This problem is more common looking at the comments. I wonder what the support is up to.  If its a software/windows compatibility issue, they need to release a quick patch or a fix asap. 

July 6th, 2020 13:00

I would go into your system panel and check and make sure all your drivers are up to date manually.

Trust me you probably have at lest 6 drivers that Windows did not update and Dells Update assistant did not find.

Many of the USB , network drivers, are not getting updated. Especially Intel drivers.

Win 10 2004 has horrendous hibernation management included. 

Go into each driver and see if power management is enabled. uncheck them especially any network devices.

manually reset the power management in the balanced settings.

Get rid of all hibernation options.

2004 will work 10 times better. Should eliminate a lot of your issues.

This should be standard procedure for any DELL Laptop owner.

July 6th, 2020 15:00

Thank you very much for these tips. I have updated Windows 10 from scratch and it is now working. Did not have a BSoD occurance since. Will update to Windows 10 2004 soon after I made sure the system is stable so far.

July 6th, 2020 15:00

I got a response from Dell support per direct message. They recommended me to re-install Windows 10, which I did. I did not have any issues since.

July 7th, 2020 04:00

Just be careful installing windows 10  2004 update.

Your headaches will return

6 Posts

July 7th, 2020 05:00

Did you have any restarts until now? Also, did you do a reset or removed everything and then install windows again. Thanks

No Events found!