Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

October 20th, 2019 02:00

XPS 13 7390 disconnecting Wifi

I got since a few days a XPS 13 7390 with a Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650w 160MHz wireless network adapter (200d2w), and since from the very beginning I faced issues with the wifi connection. Every 5-10 minutes the signal disconnects and needs to be reconnected manually. Other laptops -including my former Dell- are working perfectly fine with no stability issues. I would need some help here, as all the drivers seems to be updated.

Thanks

2 Posts

February 24th, 2020 03:00

So it seems I got a fix for my wireless networking problem. Took a number of attempts with various wireless device drivers. The one I downloaded from the Dell Support page, downloads section, for my particular device finally did the trick. It's been back up and running for a couple of hours now so still monitoring the stability of the connection.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 20th, 2019 03:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @GedoG 

Killer brags about being the fastest networking WiFi there is.

It can be when it is stable!!!

But so many people have posted about the instability.

From what I can remember this is what to do.

Create a folder on your desktop and name it "Killer"

Download the latest driver from Killer and copy it to that folder you just created.

https://support.killernetworking.com/software/

Then go to "Device Manager" and uninstall the WiFi card.

Check the box to "Delete the software for this device."

Then reboot.

After rebooting go to the folder you created and install the driver from there.

Best regards,

U2

1 Message

November 11th, 2019 13:00

I'm having the exact same problem.

I got my first XPS 13 7390 replaced 2 days after I got it, and the new replacement is behaving exactly the same way.

I have tried the wifi connection on three different networks, all 1 Gbit/s fiber, where I get 300-800mbit/s with other devices (including my 3 year old cellphone). However, the XPS fluctuates 0-2 Mbit/s downstream and below 0,5 mbit/s upstream.... its awful

I've upgraded every possible driver (from dell's website) with no luck.... still waiting for reply from dell support.

November 25th, 2019 13:00

OK, I'm an electrical engineer so I thought I'd do some proper investigating. I eventually found that when my brand new Dell lost it's wi-fi connection other devices on my home network also did at the same time. Took a while to figure that out. Today I did some troubleshooting tests to confirm how well our wireless router was working. I must say I suspected the radio in the router since a laptop connected vie ethernet to the router kept it's connection just fine. So I did a simple test next. I turned off my Dell COMPLETELY (i.e. not "sleep").  Surprise - over an extended period my wireless network was back to being rock solid! My home network has been suffering since the day I started using my new Dell laptop! Some online searches found that others have had problems with their Dell laptops interrupting their entire wireless networks just like mine! It looks like the "Killer" wireless card Dell uses has been the cause of the problem, according to what others have found. The thing is that I see those problems appearing in posts going back TWO YEARS. So why is even the newest version of the Killer card STILL clobbering wireless networks. It's not just the Dell laptop that loses it's wireless connection on our network for me and I suspect it's the same for many of you also. Any suggestions from Dell or the Killer maker as to how you plan to fix this? Workarounds would also be welcomed!!

• 

25.7K Posts

November 25th, 2019 14:00

Hi!

Thank you for reaching the Dell Community Forum.

This is Deepti. I’ll be your dedicated assistant for this session.

I have sent a private note. Let's continue over there.

Dell-Deepti

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 27th, 2019 19:00

Has anyone found a solution for this yet. I'm having the same issue. This is the second Dell laptop that I've owned with killer wifi issues. I'm starting to wish I would have bought a Mac. I've been emailing with killer support and nothing they suggests work. Now they are telling me to drain my cmos battery using these steps....

https://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/how-to-discharge-your-machine-to-reset-your-cmos/

So far I've tried the following.

- Run killer uninstaller

- Re-install killer driver only (no additional killer software)

When that didn't work I tried:

- Run killer uninstaller

- Install Intel ax200 driver

That didn't work either.

I've also tried uninstalling any possible software that could be causing conflicts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This is really expensive to be a paper weight.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 27th, 2019 19:00

@ Not applicable, I wish I could help but I have a 1650 I installed myself and have had no such problems with it.

Since there seems to be no further things you can try, I might suggest you look for one of the recent threads with the Killer Wireless rep has left options to contact them directly.

I installed the Killer suite because I can check the wireless signals in my area to see if something might be interfering.

If you have physically checked the antenna connections, I don't really see anything you haven't tried, so going to the OEM for help would be your best choice.

November 28th, 2019 11:00

OK, things are looking much better for my situation now. Following a "Dell Update" and turning the laptop completely off (not sleep) my wireless network has been completely stable for two days now. I gotta say I was surprized at how seriously impacted the network had been however I can only guess the Killer subsystem must have been operating in some strange mode (that was hammering the wireless router) and was reset properly after a power cycle. I will add that the Dell rep was very prompt and attentive in following up on my problems.

1 Message

December 26th, 2019 11:00

Same problem here.  I have downloaded new Killer drivers and updated them.  I have run the Dell Diagnostics, but I keep losing wireless every 10 minutes.  It's enraging, and I am typing this on my old Lenovo. 

How do I get my xps 7390 replaced?

1 Message

December 26th, 2019 12:00

How exactly did you fix it?

I have the same situation as you. Could you kindly email me as to what this "Dell update" is that you spoke about?

Thank you very much in advance!!

1 Message

February 7th, 2020 14:00

I purchased my XPS 13 7390 about 3 weeks ago and having same issue.  The wifi has stopped working a few times, but I've been able to reboot and most the time it starts working again.   I called Dell and they immediately sent a replacement, which just arrived. 

Now I'm really hoping same issue doesn't occur on the new one.

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2020 22:00

@adbomaha did you get a reply? I'm having a similar issue with my new XPS 13 7390 except in my situation it looks like the wifi device has gone completely dead. I've tried all the fixes like downloading the latest software etc. etc. and nothing fixed the issue. I'm also at the point where I want to return the device (and the Dell Latitude 5591 I'm typing this on) out of sheer frustration. I sent a service request to Dell, but already wishing I bought a mac instead.

• 

25.7K Posts

February 29th, 2020 20:00

Hi,

Greetings!

I would like to know did you get a chance to observe the system and hope that you had a chance to work on it to check if the issue is resolved.

-Vivek

1 Message

January 2nd, 2024 20:46

I am having a similar issue with my 7390 with Killer wifi, except mine only disconnects once shortly after coming out of sleep, then it's stable the rest of the time.  It will connect for about 30 seconds, then disconnect for about 30-60 seconds, then connect and be fine.  I just installed the latest wifi driver and BIOS

(edited)

No Events found!