Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

May 12th, 2020 12:00

XPS 13 7390 freezing screen

Hi all. I have my XPS 13 7390 for two weeks. During these two weeks, my screen froze two times and I had to restart the laptop. The worst part is that it happened during something important that I was doing and I lost all my work!!!!

I'm new to this forum. Does anyone know what is wrong? I read that some people had the same problem but the responses were not promising.

Thanks.

Atena 

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 06:00

I had the exact same issue. same laptop - windows 10. the issue is that one of your fans is failing. 

the fix is a motherboard replacement, however as the hard drive is integrated with it you will lose all your data when its replaced. The new HD in the new motherboard is blank, so be sure to create a recovery media drive on a usb key using the dell os recovery media tool before the tech replaces it. After the reinstall, some if not all drivers will also be missing including the wifi driver, so the machine wont be able to download all the updates and drivers. Be sure to download the latest "killer" wifi drivers on a separate usb key. Also at the end of it you will find that 2 unknown devices don't have their drivers installed. these are your thunderbolt devices, spent ages trying to figure that out. Hope this helps. Thanks.

4 Posts

August 6th, 2020 23:00

I am experiencing the same issue and am still troubleshooting the issue. Did you get it solved? If so, how?

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2021 16:00

So I have resolved my freezing issue. After refusing another motherboard replacement, I spent a few days trying to figure it out. Whilst a mobile device I rarely used the laptop as such, but on the odd occasion when I did I found out that it didn't freeze. Generally I have it connected to the a razer eGPU with a P4000 NVIDIA graphics card. I had eliminated the eGPU as the cause as I had tested it with a various handful of other cards and other eGPU's and still got the same freezing problem. So I figured it was the laptop that wasn't playing ball with eGPUs and decided to live with it. Remember I had appx 4 Motherboard replacements already and got tired of re-installing everything and trying to get licences reactivated. Then one day I wanted to move the laptop to a different location on my desk further away from the eGPU and needed a new 2m Cable, a quick purchase on the rainforest store ensued and then the magic happened. No more freezing. I tested it again with the with the old cable and after a while it froze. So the Razer supplied cable was the issue and works great as a phone charger but is annoyingly short so just sits in my desk. 

No Events found!