Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2020 20:00

XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer work

Hi there,

Just updated my BIOS to 1.0.10   this morning. It apparently updates the firmware of the TB3/USB Type-C port. Probably solves some Power Delivery issues. 

Unfortunately, after the update, DisplayPort is no longer working properly over USB Type-C. I have tried four different adapters, and only one works sporadically after the update.

2020-05-20 (3).png2020-05-20 (4).png

I did a search on Reddit and apparently I am not alone.

I am unable to downgrade the BIOS back to 1.0.7 despite having "allow bios downgrade" option enabled in BIOS. Some of the updated firmware do not roll back.

Anyone having these issues too?

11 Posts

August 7th, 2020 16:00

Thank god.  You are 1000% more helpful that any interactions I've had with Dell's support team on this.

Thank you @jphughan for succeeding where Dell has failed completely.  Without your updates we would be left high and dry.

September 4th has been marked on my calendar.  Understanding full well that the date may change.  It's acknowledgement and a timeframe - that's all we needed!

1 Message

August 16th, 2020 01:00

I am adding to this thread as well. I am having the same issue as everyone else! Very frustrating since this is supposed to be Dell's new and improved laptop. I've had more issues than I ever have had with a laptop.

I sure hope the Sept 4th date is solid. Please make it happen Dell.

17 Posts

August 17th, 2020 02:00

For me the problem is intermittent on Linux (both with a Lenovo Thinkvision monitor with built-in USB-C hub and with Dell's very own USB-C to USB, Ethernet, HDMI and VGA hub). Sometimes unplugging and plugging it back in a few times ends up working, sometimes it just freezes the laptop until restarted.

On Windows, however, the hubs seem to work alright. Might be a combination of the bad BIOS update and my newer Kernel version (updated to 5.8.1)

18 Posts

August 21st, 2020 14:00

A Dell Customer Service manager on the escalations team just called me and said that the $2,000 XPS 13 9300 I bought "doesn't support 4k resolution to an external display because you only bought the full HD version". I called him out on his ineptitude and hung up.

Good luck everyone - I'm taking my business elsewhere and suggest you do too.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 21st, 2020 20:00

@faraday7  Sigh.... And people wonder why some answers I give here don't match up with what they hear from Dell sales and support reps.  Sorry you got such bad information.

1 Message

August 22nd, 2020 15:00

Everyone can stop holding their breath-- I am a brand new XPS 13 9300 owner (device arrived 2 days ago) running BIOS version 1.0.11 and the video out from USB-C still doesn't work.

What an absolute trash product.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 22nd, 2020 18:00

@kangnaishu Just in case you missed it, check my post from a little while ago.  It's a known issue expected to be fixed in BIOS update 1.2.0, which is scheduled for release on September 4.  At least that's the most recent update I have.

5 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 01:00

Wouldn't it be time for an official statement by Dell?

All we have are rumours about a solution.

We have two problems: The connectivity issue and Dell's non-responsiveness.

I put the topic on LinkedIn. People should know and should be warned not to buy the product: 

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/oliverlehmann_xps-13-9300-bios-1010-usb-type-c-to-dp-activity-6703208512903766016-pAGt

Please like, share, and comment.

117 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 07:00

I'm the OP here. I sold the laptop almost two months ago in favour of another brand. It's still disheartening that I receive new email alerts every now and then... that, one, the issue hasn't been resolved three months on (and really, a simple BIOS rollback could have sufficed), and two, if not for @jphughan bringing the issue up to Dell's attention (and I believe the escalation process was far from straightforward on his end, too), I wonder if this issue would ever be resolved.

Anyway, to re-iterate, if you are experiencing this issue, there are a few adapters that are known to work (which I and others have posted on this thread earlier), so I guess as a workaround you should try getting one of those adapters in the interim.

It is really a pity. The XPS 9300 is really the best looking laptop out there. It's beautifully crafted and has a great feel, but unfortunately, that's all the good things I can say about it, especially when you take into account the price premium the XPS commands over other brands.

5 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 08:00

@describee 

I bought two adapters and they do not work either. Enough DIY. It's Dell responsibility to respond to customers' complaints and resolve the problem.

They should also be aware that this will not remain a forum topic but that the market will learn about it.

E.g. here:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/oliverlehmann_xps-13-9300-bios-1010-usb-type-c-to-dp-activity-6703208512903766016-pAGt

August 23rd, 2020 14:00

Outsourcing everything to India at it's finest! Pay top US dollar and get buggy untested software. Mmm Dell.

6 Posts

August 24th, 2020 05:00

I have "accidentally" upgraded to 1.0.11 and have external video.  2mo. old 9300 to Caldigit TS3 on TB3 to DP into a AOC CQ27G2 at a confirmed 1440p & 143-144Hz refresh.  Others state the Caldigit is not a working option, but mine is.  I would be happy to assist in a settings compare or some other avenue you would like to examine.

18 Posts

August 24th, 2020 07:00

Anything under 4k resolution hasn't been an issue for me. I bet if you tried outputting 4k @ 60Hz you would have some problems (or simply not even have the option).

6 Posts

August 25th, 2020 09:00

@faraday7   OH!  I thought all adapters/all resolutions.  I am sorry for the confusion.  I do not have a 4k device, so guess I'm good to go.  Thanks for that clarification.

26 Posts

August 25th, 2020 09:00

I can test the functioning with my XPS 13 9300 via DP and HDMI adapters and then give feedback. We have some testing Displays in the company. Beste Shade
No Events found!