Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Message

April 29th, 2020 14:00

XPS 13 9300 Windows install on Developer Edition

Hello everyone,

I am looking at buying the new XPS 13 and have the choice between a regular one with Windows and the "Developer Edition" with the same configuration otherwise. The ONLY reason I am thinking about doing this is to save money, as the DE is around 70€ cheaper where I live. I have an unused Windows 10 Pro key and am planning to install that on it, completely getting rid of the Ubuntu install. My question is: Are there any downsides to this? The hardware is exactly the same right? Will I have problems with warranty if I do that? I understand I won't receive Windows support from Dell if I buy the Ubuntu version, but if I ever ran into anything with Windows I wouldn't contact Dell about it anyways.

Would I still get the same support for the hardware? Would I need to reinstall Ubuntu before sending it in for repairs if needed?

Cheers!

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

October 14th, 2020 11:00

I believe the BIOS is the only place you face a difference between the Windows 10 edition and the Ubuntu edition of the laptop. I had the exact same plan, but I'm nearly 99% sure you'd have to flash the BIOS in order to install Windows 10. Now, this may be easily possible as if you have go to the Dell support site, you can download an essential BIOS flash update for a Windows 10 build and place it on a bootable USB. Just my understand and thoughts, let me know if you were able to pull it off or decided against it.

4 Posts

August 12th, 2021 04:00

Can someone confirm? I get a 9300 or 9310 Dev edition from my new employer. They said this one was the fastest option to get delivered to my home. But working with Ubuntu is fine, only I need to use the whole Microsoft 365 suite, MS devops and so on. So windows 10 is the better solution. According to the IT team said it is no problem to install windows 10 pro. 

1 Rookie

• 

81 Posts

August 14th, 2021 15:00

I have 9300 and had dual-booted Linux and Windows for over year before wiping the Windows for good (it was shipped with Windows originally). As far as I know there is no "special Windows" or "special Linux" BIOS on this machine, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible installing Windows on a developer's edition 9300.

No Events found!