Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2020 23:00

XPS 13 9300, keyboard rattling when playing sound through the speakers

I received my XPS laptops last week and have been using it and notices slight clipping like noise from the speaker when certain sound is played. Initially I thought it might be incorrect driver that was causing the clipping and updated the driver but the noise didn't go away. I now realized that the noise is coming not from the speaker, but from the keyboard. It sounds like some part of the keyboard is rattling when the speakers are playing and at very low volume too. Is this a known and widespread issue? or should I try to return it and get a replacement unit? 

117 Posts

June 9th, 2020 01:00

Yeah I think I do notice the keyboard vibrating a little more than usual on those words but it doesn't really bother me to be honest.

117 Posts

Do you have a sample clip in which I could try to see if I could reproduce the same issue?

6 Posts

The reason I'm sure that the noise if coming from the keyboard is that when I put my fingers on certain keys when the clipping like noise happens, the noise is noticeably quieter and my finger can feel the vibration of the keys (aka, my finger is acting like a dampener). I still have about two weeks before the 30 days return period is up. If this is a known issue, I might have to look elsewhere for a different laptop. Please let me know if this is a known issue. 

6 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oFz309_vno

00:58 when he says "want" the "a" triggers the clipping like noise. 

01:22 when he says "sorry" the "s" triggers the clipping like noise. 

Sorry about the weird clip that I'm using, but this is what I have open. 

The noise happens when the system volume is set to 40 and is very pronounced at 60. I didn't bother with any higher volume. 

I might be a bit more sensitive to these clipping noises, but I think they are very obvious. 

6 Posts

June 9th, 2020 10:00

Thanks for confirming that. I wonder if mine is just extra bad or I'm just extra sensitive. This is quite disappointing because I love everything else about this laptop. I guess I'll return this unit and think about whether I should give it another try or get a different laptop. 

1 Message

June 19th, 2020 16:00

hello friends from

August 4th, 2020 09:00

I received My 9300 Today, and it has the same issue of rattling.

2 Posts

October 20th, 2021 02:00

This is a design flaw in the keyboard.

Dell should design a new keyboard and supply it to existing customers as a retro-fix.

On my machine it is near-impossible to hold a conference call without using headphones. On a £3k computer I expect better. At least, I would expect Dell to stand by their product post-sale and provide a solution.

Some comments on here are saying they have the issue but it doesn't bother them. This isn't an excuse for inaction from Dell. Some people are happy to put up with it because they may not have it as bad on their specific machine, they don't do Teams or Zoom calls, or watch videos on Prime/Netflix or whatever. Just because some are ok with it doesn't mean it isn't a problem. It absolutely is, and it is a good reason to be skeptical of future Dell hardware and it is the reason why I have bought an LG and Microsoft machine for my other employees rather than the additional Dell machines that I first considered until I bought this one. (XPS 9500).

No Events found!