Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell 9300 External Monitor problem – and maybe an indication of a more grave Thunderbolt issuRe: XPS 13 9300 thunderbolt 3 issue

Dell 9300 External Monitor problem – and maybe an indication of a more grave Thunderbolt issue on the new XPS13 and XPS15…

Can you believe I've 5 old XPS 13 in the house (three previous version 9370 and a couple of older ones) - all work fine with all monitors in the house on USB-C - for charging via the monitor and monitor signal. Not the 9300 though... exactly the same Samsung Thunderbolt monitors and LG too.

I'll be returning mine once we're out of lockdown here in Spain too. Having to use an adaptor to HDMI and that means I'm having to charge via the right-hand USB-C meaning I have to charge for a while the swap out for my USB-C camera for conference calls and then back again to charge...

I’ve seen lots of report of problems with the Thunderbolt on this model – and maybe the 15 inch too..

Some have said the monitor works as long as the power is on to the laptop (so you’d have to power using the only other USB-C Port!!)

Monitors: 34wk95u and the SAMSUNG C34J791 and, again, these work with the last two generations of XPS13.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: XPS 13 9300 thunderbolt 3 issue

@saswett Another thought just crossed my mind!

I went to research on the 32UL950 and one review mentioned that the Thunderbolt 3 port can actually work on non-TB3 devices as well, as long as it has USB-C DisplayPort pass through (which the XPS 13 9300 supports as well).

I'm not sure if this would help, but maybe you could try disabling Thunderbolt 3 in the laptop's BIOS and see if it works via USB-C?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@describee Thank you very much for all your help and ideas. Here's an update on what I've tried recently:

- Downloaded the recommended drivers from the Intel website, vice the Dell drivers, did not solve the issue.

- Followed several recommendations from Intel's website to try and solve this issue: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030689/intel-nuc.html . Was hoping "Thunderbolt™ device isn't recognized when plugged into the Intel® NUC." or "Thunderbolt display randomly goes to black screen." solutions would help, they did not.

- I went into the system BIOS and enabled two Thunderbolt boot options (even though the BIOS recognized they were security concerns), this did not solve the issue.

- Per @describee 's recommendation, I disabled Thunderbolt in the BIOS, in the hopes the system would use the USB-C with DisplayPort pass through and power distribution would kick in, this did not solve the issue.

- Reached out to Amazon twice for tech support (who I purchased the monitor from), offered a refund but was not able to technically solve the issue.

- Reached out to Dell four times for tech support, who eventually referred me to consult LG (the monitor manufacturer) before they would start working the issue. Dell agreed they would work the issue, if it was in fact a problem across the 9300's (otherwise if this problem was unique to me they would charge $200+ to try and solve it through software). Dell assured me the laptop should be compatible with the Thunderbolt 3 monitor.

- Reached out to LG three times for tech support, who eventually acknowledged this was likely a monitor compatibility issue, and they started a case to work the issue. The monitor I'm using (LG 32UL950) was originally released in 2018, so even though a case is created the technician informed me a monitor software update to make it compatible with the XPS 13 9300 could take time (likely longer than my refund window with Amazon) and advised to return the monitor. A brief summary of my LG support: "for the issue initially the monitor will enter a loop with your dell xps laptop once connected via the TB 3 connection and will only work if you connect a separate tb3 connection on your laptop which connects to power, we tried to power cycle and reset the monitor and it worked for about 60 seconds in which from 100% the issue kicked in when the power level went down. we also tried it over to another laptop with the same connection but oddly enough it works. lastly you also mentioned you've been in touch with dell and as per them the laptop should be compatible."

- At this point I think I will unfortunately have to return the monitor, and find a suitable replacement. Interested if anyone has recommendations for a USB-C with DisplayPort and power delivery in 4K UHD monitor (after all this, I don't think I actually need the TB3 connection with extra data speed compared to another monitor, and can save half the cost by not having a TB3 connection). Thanks everyone for your interest/support of this issue

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Thank you for being so detailed in your follow up and all @saswett . I really hope Dell or LG could resolve the issue and the fact that it still doesn't work with TB3 disabled (btw, it works with TB3 disabled and power on the laptop?) suggests more of a Power Delivery compatibility issue.

There was one YouTuber, JustJosh, who mentioned that his Dell XPS 9300 works fine with the 27UK850. Granted, a 27 inch monitor may not be what you are looking for.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@describee Thanks much, looking for a 32" model, I'm settling on the Dell 3219Q, hopefully will be a one cable solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@saswett there's a new BIOS update today which fixes some PD issues. Not sure if it helps your case?

Note: the new bios has some compatibility issues with certain USB-C to DP adapters.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@describee Thanks. I ended up returning the TB3 monitor and purchased the Dell 3219Q USB-C monitor. It works just fine with a one cable solution, to include power delivery. Too bad the TB3 monitor didn't end up working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@saswett that's great to hear! And hopefully that indicates more of a firmware/bios issue that could be fixed in future...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@describee It very well could have been a problem with the monitor's software, and not the XPS 13 9300. I was unable to pinpoint the issue. LG did assure me they opened a ticket to try and fix the monitor's software, with no projected completion date.

A warning to other XPS 13 900 users: do not buy the 32UL950 !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@saswett 

Afraid it's a problem when connecting to Samsung monitors too - so not an LG issue.

Can you believe I've 5 XPS 13 in the house (three previous version 9370 and a a couple of my real old ones) - all work fine with all monitors in the house on USB-C -  for charging via the monitor and monitor signal. Not the 9300 though...

I'll be returning mine once we're out of lockdown here in Spain too. Having to use an adaptor to HDMI and that means I'm having to charge via the right-hand USB-C meaning I have to charge for a while the swap out for my USB-C camera for conference calls and then back again to charge...

0 Kudos