Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

20 Posts

March 6th, 2020 12:00

XPS 13 9300 thunderbolt 3 issue

Hi, I have bought the new XPS 13 9300 and I wanted to connect it to my ultrawide monitor. I have tried 3 different ways: usb-c, thunderbolt (my monitor has a tb3 input) and through a TB dock. In all 3 ways the laptop would start and stop charging frequently and also disconnect from the external monitor. What I noticed is that this problem would go away as soon as I plug in the charger. Which shouldn't be the case as my monitor as well as the dock provide 85w. What could be the problem? I am going crazy as this was the reason to buy the XPS 

May 13th, 2020 03:00

Same issue on the XPS13 9300 connecting to my Samsung C34J79 monitor, worked fine with my old 9350 and 9370 in use in the family here, same cables. worked fine on day 1 only...

Looks like either a temperamental port hardware issue or drivers.

If it’s hardware, then it will not get better. I’ll return my unit if this is unresolved by the end of the month.

10 Posts

May 14th, 2020 10:00

@describee Thanks much, looking for a 32" model, I'm settling on the Dell 3219Q, hopefully will be a one cable solution.

117 Posts

May 19th, 2020 21:00

@saswett there's a new BIOS update today which fixes some PD issues. Not sure if it helps your case?

Note: the new bios has some compatibility issues with certain USB-C to DP adapters.

117 Posts

May 20th, 2020 06:00

@saswett that's great to hear! And hopefully that indicates more of a firmware/bios issue that could be fixed in future...

10 Posts

May 20th, 2020 06:00

@describee Thanks. I ended up returning the TB3 monitor and purchased the Dell 3219Q USB-C monitor. It works just fine with a one cable solution, to include power delivery. Too bad the TB3 monitor didn't end up working.

10 Posts

May 20th, 2020 10:00

@describee It very well could have been a problem with the monitor's software, and not the XPS 13 9300. I was unable to pinpoint the issue. LG did assure me they opened a ticket to try and fix the monitor's software, with no projected completion date.

A warning to other XPS 13 900 users: do not buy the 32UL950 !

1 Message

May 21st, 2020 18:00

I have dell xps 13 that I bought a year ago, connected to a Caldigit and 2 Dell monitors.

Everything was working fine until yesterday when my xps13 received a forced window update.

Since then I can't connect my xps to cal digit using just a thunderbolt 13 without also connecting it to charge.

I spoke with both DELL and Xaldigit, and turnout that with the new update Dell is not allowing third party charging. 

I am really disappointed I am a business owner that all I used was dell product but now I am considering Mac. 

May 22nd, 2020 11:00

Some issue with currently all my thunderbolt 3 docks. It's a really nice device otherwise. But I'll have to return it.

May 24th, 2020 10:00

Same issue here. Latest Bios and Drivers as of May 24, 2020. I have an LG 34WK95U-W which I use daily with a Precision 5520 and a Dell TB-16 Thunderbolt Dock (The Monitor does not deliver enough power).  When I connect my XPS 13 9300 I either get the constant disconnect/reconnect, no video at all, or if I'm really lucky, I'll get 1440P on the 5K monitor. All devices on the dock do connect and the monitor is set to DP 1.4.  I have the same issue when I connect directly to the monitor, though usually it's the repeated disconnect/reconnect only. 

I have another Dell WD-15 USB-C dock on an older U2711 Dell monitor and it all works fine. That dock does not support 5K though DP or HDR, so it's useless in the setup I'm trying to use. Have high hopes this can be resolved with software, love the laptop otherwise.

117 Posts

May 24th, 2020 11:00

@Scott Mc ATX according to the specs the tb16 supports dp 1.2 only and outputs 5k only when using dual displayports. Could that be the issue? The tb13 works fine with the u2711 I assume?

Just wondering if you were to try the LG on your USB-C dock, does it at least output a display? (Resolution notwithstanding of course)

May 24th, 2020 12:00

I tested it with a Dell U2717D (2560x1440). 

6 Posts

May 28th, 2020 01:00

I returned the 9300 in the end as the thunderbolt to my monitor just didn't work after an update. The technical support did not make any effort in fixing except pushing me to get the refund.

Good looking laptop. However, the laptop is riddled with problems.

Replaced now with a Huawei Matebook X Pro and everything is working fine.

117 Posts

May 28th, 2020 02:00

@davdatong thanks for the update and pity about your experience with the XPS 9300.

May 31st, 2020 03:00

If only I had seen this thread before I bought the XPS 13 9300 and the LG 32BL95 (same as LG 32UL950 but from the business lineup).  I purchased this laptop and monitor for the exact reason as the OP... a single cable solution with all the benefits of Thunderbolt 3. 

Unfortunately, I am experiencing the exact problem.  Any time the laptop tries to use Power Delivery from the monitor, there is constant connect/disconnect loop.  SOMETIMES (~10% of the time) this connect/disconnect loop stabilizes in an end state of monitor connected, laptop indicating plugged in, but not charging!  The monitor works fine if the laptop is either connected to the included Dell power supply or a powered USB-C Dell dock I have.

I'm disappointed and in a situation where I cannot easily return either item... and despite this issue I love each item individually!  I hope Dell/LG fix this!

52 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 13:00

I assume you have tried updating bios and all the various drivers?

I really don't know what changed in my setup apart from bios updates which I'm sure went through a while back but then again I had another today so who knows.

Either way, running the D6000 via the usb-c port suddenly started to work and gone were the power loops.

Right now I'm typing on a bluetooth keyboard / mouse connected to the D6000 and can see the laptop is charging too.  This is with 3 additional monitors connected to the D6000 so in total 4 including the laptop screen.  Does the first series of flashes as it detects the various screens and then its stable.

No Events found!