Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

20 Posts

March 6th, 2020 12:00

XPS 13 9300 thunderbolt 3 issue

Hi, I have bought the new XPS 13 9300 and I wanted to connect it to my ultrawide monitor. I have tried 3 different ways: usb-c, thunderbolt (my monitor has a tb3 input) and through a TB dock. In all 3 ways the laptop would start and stop charging frequently and also disconnect from the external monitor. What I noticed is that this problem would go away as soon as I plug in the charger. Which shouldn't be the case as my monitor as well as the dock provide 85w. What could be the problem? I am going crazy as this was the reason to buy the XPS 

August 11th, 2020 06:00

Anyone have an update on this issue?  This is still a massively irritating issue for me!  I've been working with Dell Premium Support since early May with no solution.  For some reason my support request has been closed without resolution.

I've just purchased the Dell Thunderbolt Dock to see if that works in between my XPS and LG TB monitor. 

9 Posts

August 11th, 2020 15:00

They broke something a bios update or two back with USB-C/Thunderbolt external displays. None of my docking stations/external adapters work reliably (some not at all). There is another thread here where one of the non-dell community liasons has been speaking with dell personnel and they state a fix is scheduled for BIOS 1.2.0 next month... dunno if this will actually fix anything since the 9300 has been pretty much a total disgrace both in software and firmware. Issues from day 1 (March) still are not fixed.

3 Posts

August 12th, 2020 23:00

It would be great if Dell can at least inform us here that they are working on a fix.

August 17th, 2020 13:00

Hello all. I have almost fully gotten a thunderbolt 3 dock (Caldigit TS3+) to work as intended with the 1.1.0 bios and latest drivers. All the peripherals I have hooked up sans a keyboard (it likes to not always connect the first time) are working as intended and all at once. 

After first trying out the same dock and needing to reset the laptop from scratch (it went nuts), I went to the Caldigit website and found an article listed "Thunderbolt 3 Devices in Windows 10". I double checked everything they asked for prior to plugging in another dock (different from original) and made sure I had the updated drivers and thunderbolt software. I then opened the thunderbolt application before plugging in the bare dock with nothing attached. Worked fine and continued to charge and power the laptop.

Now here is where I tried to be slow and steady with it. I made sure that every peripheral I had worked when connected to the laptop first (wireless mouse, keyboard, monitor, assorted flash drives, and a external hard drive). After that I plugged them in one at a time into the dock and connected the dock to laptop unplugging after each success. I repeated this process until everything was plugged in and working as intended. 

I have both let the thunderbolt app stay open and closed after connecting and seeing the TS3+ show up. I don't know if having the app open or the drivers/bios updated was the key. I am happy that it now works albeit, I feel the process I went through was excessive for something that should be instantaneous. Who knows though. Maybe if people try plugging everything in and open the app before it just works.

1 Message

August 19th, 2020 05:00

Same problem here. Getting monitors / multiple monitors working on the XPS 13 9300 should not be so painful. Also quite sad to see that Dell has ignored the problem for so long.Hopefully the next BIOS release addresses the issues, but given how long this has been lingering and the age of this thread, I'm still not very optimistic.

August 19th, 2020 15:00

On a whim I bought a Dell WD19TB Thunderbolt 3 Dock. Ran the battery down on the XPS 13 9300 laptop and then connected LG TB3 monitor to the dock and the dock to the laptop all via TB3. Everything just worked, to include Power Delivery, without issue. Charged the laptop back to 100% all while using the LG monitor. Check the TB3 control app and it showed the dock and monitor connected in serial.

This isn't the RIGHT solution since the dock shouldn't be needed but this is another data point.

Break break.

Windows Update just flagged a Dell Firmware 0.1.1.0 driver update under optional updates. Anyone else seeing this? I have the most current BIOS on the Dell Support site loaded (1.1.0) Not sure what this 0.1.1.0 is in Windows Update.

2 Posts

September 1st, 2020 04:00

Hi all, just to let everyone know that this issue will soon be resolved. I was in contact with Dell technical support, and they told me they were working on a new BIOS to fix this issue. A few days ago, they contacted me to say they had a fix. They supplied me with a test version of the BIOS and it appears to resolve all of the issues. I now have rapid, stable connection to my ultrawide monitor, and the laptop charges as expected. Its being working like this for the last couple days and has been 100% stable.

I am informed the release date for the BIOS will be the 4th September.

10 Posts

September 1st, 2020 08:00

@gjs14 Very impressed you've been able to work with Dell and they've committed to fix this! How did you successfully convince Dell to work this and commit to fix this issue?

When I was actively trying to find a solution a few months ago Dell kept saying this was a monitor problem, not a 9300 problem, and refused to commit to a fix even though we all suspected it was a 9300 problem. Personally, I gave up on ever having the 9300 working with a TB3 monitor, and purchased a monitor with USB-C connection and power delivery (essentially the same one-cable functionality but with slower data transfer speeds).

September 1st, 2020 12:00

Hmm... I've also been working with "Dell Premium Support" since May. They have written off my problem as "not what is happening in the lab" and I've literally just taken delivery of an new XPS 13 to verify there isn't a hardware defect. Surprise surprise, the new XPS 13 exhibits the exact behavior as the old one.

Why does whoever you're working with know about a forthcoming BIOS update while another agent sends out new computers?!

1 Message

September 3rd, 2020 08:00

I've been following this thread for quite a while and what ended up working was changing monitors. LG 32UK550-B May 2020 model to an older monitor LG 32UD60--B December 2018 model. The older monitor works great for 3 days now. 

Note: Difference is with the newer model is has lower contrast ratio and HDR Effect when compared with the older model. 

Did Not Work:

1) Update bios (July Update)

2) Update Firmware 

3) HDMI to USB-C 4k 60hz cable

4) Changing out alternative HDMI Cables with HDMI dongle

5) Changing HDMI Dongle

6) Power plugged in, then started laptop. (and other variations of power).

7) Switched plugging into the other USB-C Thunderbolt port

Checked monitor with other computers. The monitor worked fine. 

What did work:

1) Switching monitors (LG 32UK550-B May 2020 model to an older monitor LG 32UD60--B December 2018 model.)

September 11th, 2020 10:00

4 Sep 20 BIOS update has fixed the compatibility issue with LG 32 inch Thunderbolt 3 monitor.  The monitor will now connect directly to the XPS, without constant connect/disconnect cycles and while simultaneously providing Power Delivery.  I’ve successfully charged my XPS from minimum charge to 100% while connected to the LG via Thunderbolt 3 with daisy chained accessories connected to the monitor. 

Follow-up:

Everything still seems to be working with the TS3+. The problem with the keyboard seemed to be linked to the USB passthrough and the dock not differentiating between the two. Only solution so far has been to unplug and replug when the dock starts or not using the USB passthrough (which I'm currently not). Hooked up a monitor through the DisplayPort (Dell S series) and have had no issues there. 

Additionally, I have continuously not turned on the thunderbolt 3 software before plugging in and have had no problems. Seems like there was a fix during the last bios update, but it still is not perfect without the USB passthrough working.

Try updating to the 1.2 BIOS dated 4 Sep 20.  Famous last words... but it’s fixed my problems at the moment which included pass through accessories. 

2 Posts

October 24th, 2020 12:00

4 Sep 20 BIOS still not work with Samsung c34j79x via Thunderbol. Forced to buy USB-C to HDMI dongle

3 Posts

October 31st, 2020 07:00

Hi,

I just bought a LG Ultrawide 35WN73A-B and facing almost same issue than describe before.

When USB-C is plugged to my screen (without no hub for now), screen stay black until I force HDR (in Windows settings) for my external screen. Precision : no charger is plugged on the laptop, just the USB-C from screen.

With HDR enabled, I get an image but with a scrappy colorset. White are greys and overall color 
Despite the fact HDR settings is enabled on my computer, I see in my LG screen menu that HDR is greyed (means disabled).

I also noticed that in this mode the laptop is not charging as it should.

After hours of search, I find out that forcing my LG screen to use DisplayPort 1.2 (instead of default 1.4, you can find this settings in the screen menu) solve the problem:

- Colors are now ok
- HDR is enabled on the screen
- Laptop is charging
- I get access to the full screen resolution (3440x1440)

I don't understand why I need to downgrade to DisplayPort 1.2 to get it work as the new DELL XPS 9300 should be compatible with 1.4 ? Do you think I shouldn't care, or 1.2 has bandwidth limitations and don't offer me the full range of what I can expect ?  Is DP 1.2 allows 100hz bandwidth ?

My laptop is updated with latests bios & drivers issued from DELL...
Thanks for your feedback.

No Events found!