Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

P

1 Message

November 8th, 2020 04:00

XPS 13 9310, battery drain issue

A week back, I have brought XPS 13 and received it a couple of days back. I have never achieved the battery life suggested on the Dell website for the laptop. I agree it varies by usage and setting preferences. My expected battery life is between 5-6 hours after a full charge with zero screen brightness, no Bluetooth device connected, no Netflix streaming, battery set to balance, and power mode as best battery. I have seen some comments after driver and BIOS updates, it should be better but even that has not helped to improve battery life. It gives me great disappointment with your premium device. 

Puvikkarasan_0-1604838808579.png

And once more small inconvenience faced by using the laptop while working in COMSOL. There is some graphic rendering problem and cannot see the output images. I have graphic rendering setting as my other Dell Latitude 5480 laptop which has core i3 7th gen processor.

I really love the performance and other features of the laptop and that is the reason for choosing it over other premium devices. Please provide a solution to overcome these.

• 

16.8K Posts

June 21st, 2022 03:00

mhayat29,

The battery is working as designed according to the battery report.

1 Message

November 8th, 2020 09:00

I have the same issue on a XPS 13 9319 2 in 1. Expected runtime is about 5-6 hours, according to Batterybar Pro and the Windows power menu baRunning on battery saver mode seams to limit cpu powerlimit, but the laptop often consumes 10W < when idling (even on airplane mode). 

I love the performance of this thing, mine scored 2354 in Cinebench R20; but it shouldn't be having these issues at nearly 2k. 

Also there's an issue where sometimes the battery drains while in standby. However, last night the battery drained only 6% in 11 hours of connected standby. 

10 Elder

• 

23.4K Posts

November 8th, 2020 12:00

Neither post mentions the type of display, but if it's a 4K model, 5-6 hours of active use is likely about as good as it's going to get.  You should easily be able to get 2-3 hours more out of the system with an FHD resolution screen, but the 4K screen is the single most power-hungry device in the system, and taxes the GPU as well.

COMSOL is a relatively demanding application and if it is indeed a 4K screen (which the comparative Latitude is unlikely to have), that can easily push beyond the limits of a 13" XPS ultra-light system.

November 12th, 2020 05:00

i have a dell xps 13 9310 full HD display non touch, 16 gb ram 512 ssd. The laptop is excellent in every field and is almost perfect. The battery is the only issue and if someone could help me i'd be very greatful. The battery life advertised for this model was 12-14hrs but im getting only 4-5 with light usage. My brightness is v low all the time and i tried all the 'battery saving tips'. pls help me someone!!!

November 16th, 2020 10:00

I have the same issue on my FHD DELL.  Please fix this asap

November 16th, 2020 13:00

@SaxofonistYes, I see the same thing with Dell and connected standby. Even though I disable it the battery still drains significantly while in sleep. Fresh windows brand new laptop has these problems from Dell.

I believe the problem is actually with the WiFi card (or other peripherals) they don't actually go to sleep, draining the battery while in sleep. I've verified this myself with an RF radiation meter. The WiFi does not sleep at all when the computer is asleep and remains connected the entire time (hours and hours later) until the laptop dies.

Dell needs to reach out to makes of Killer WiFi card to fix the driver, or fix it themselves.

November 16th, 2020 13:00

@abhishek_18Run throttlestop and find in the Options Show Watts in the tray. You can now see how many watts the CPU is using. If it stays above 5 for any period of time while idle check check the task manager.

November 17th, 2020 23:00

running throttlestop wasnt as useful as i thought it was but i did update my BIOS and battery got better but no where close to the 12-14hr range which was advertised... dell dint mention on what settings do we achieve that battery life but for me on extremely low bightness and backlit mostly off and reducing the refresh rate, i got 7-8hrs on full hd model

November 24th, 2020 13:00

I took my new XPS 13 9310 out last night and used it on battery for the first time for an extended period and i only got 4 hours out of it fully charged.  All I was doing is web browsing, using a phone as a hotspot.   Its the FHD screen edition and its set to balanced in the power settings.

4 Posts

November 25th, 2020 17:00

same here, also in linux. even disabling half of the cores. powertop points to touchpad and wifi consuming ridiculous amounts of energy for doing nothing, but it's hard to tell. anyone had any luck finding a solution?

November 29th, 2020 11:00

Same issue here. FHD display. Battery only last ~5 hours and less sometimes. Sometimes the laptop does not sleep when the lid is closed (I checked all settings) and I can hear the fan working constantly significantly draining the battery.

Often it doesn't even last the night on a full charge lid closed. Can't find any solution.

Possible Solution: Running SupportAssist Updates seems to have resolved the Sleep Issue. 

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 08:00

Same problem here. FHD display and only low brightness and surfing the web. The battery only lasts about 4-5 hours. Furthermore, the Windows event log often shows that the connected standby was left (Reason 50) without any interaction with the notebook. The fan is then always running.

14 Posts

December 15th, 2020 05:00

same problem here with FHD+ display

quite far from the advertised 11/12h autonomy , reminder below:

You'll experience incredibly long battery life —up to 18 hours, 49 minutes* on a Full HD+ model when using when using productivity applications like Word or Excel or up to 11 hours, 51 minutes* when streaming Netflix

getting about 5/6h only with 'balanced' settings for battery

even using external monitor does not improve that much... at 75% battery , it jumps only from 4h to 5h, so possibly the display is not even the main factor here

disappointing, DELL please fix it !

1 Message

December 18th, 2020 04:00

XPS 13 9310 - 16Go RAM - 1To SSD -> satisfied by the laptop except this pain point : Battery life, I'm using this laptop for business and bought it to have more than 8h of autonomy this is not the case. Difficult to reach 5h using chrome and office my previous computer (Lenovo) was better after 3 years old.

What's going on? any way to have an official answer DELL?

Best regards,

• 

16.8K Posts

December 18th, 2020 04:00

Click here and update to the latest BIOS and Dell Power Manager Services. On the sales site it shows 12 hours. However, that was under specific power consumption configurations. The battery life presented by users on this thread complies with the specifications of the Laptop.

The Battery drains quicker than expected on a Dell notebook with Modern Standby mode enabled

No Events found!