Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2021 07:00

XPS 13 9310 WiFi randomly shuts down (AX500-DBS)

Hello everyone,

I've had my XPS 13 9310 for a month now and since about two weeks my WiFi stops working in random moments. Sometimes it's after waking up from sleep, sometimes it's just randomly during use. The laptop has a Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS card and it looks like the driver just stops working. The card starts working again when I shut down the system completely and turn it on again.

When the WiFi card is down, the Windows Device Manager shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10) (Operation Failed) The requested operation was unsuccessful.". The Event Viewer shows multiple errors around the time the WiFi goes down, e.g.

• The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table.
  • The version number is incorrect for this driver.
  • Miniport Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS Wireless Network Adapter, {86c1bbda-57fc-4364-ad13-5fc9493cc130}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

This issue occurred for me on:

• Windows 10 Pro builds 2004 and 20H2
  • Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS driver version 1.0.0.1428 (from 2020-09-03, latest as of 2021-01-04)
  • BIOS version 1.1.4
  • All other drivers on latest versions.

I've been in contact with Dell support about this particular issue for 2 weeks now, but they haven't found a fix yet. What has been done so far:

Does anyone else have the problem (and hopefully a solution)?

122 Posts

June 8th, 2021 14:00

Just got the globe of death  when trying to post the above post  - it lasted about 15 seconds then the wi-fi came back on again!!!!   

June 10th, 2021 10:00

Update:  no change over the last few days.

With the new driver and C-States enabled, network works fine.  Except, after a long Hibernate, it takes 10-25 seconds for the network to connect.

If you click on the globe right after login during these 10-25 seconds, it will show networks, then all go away and it says "no network available", then the network comes back and connects successfully.

It still seems to me that there is a startup/power-up issue with this network card, and the new driver forces another initialization of the card which succeeds. 

122 Posts

June 11th, 2021 07:00

AS an update - after my "globe" occurrence I was asked by Dell to do a clean install of the drivers which I have done. I have run this now for 2 days fault free.

Unlike @Halber Spin   I am not  getting any start-up problems when leaving the laptop overnight both with and without the charger - the network comes on immediately. It may be that I have the laptop set to "Sleep" rather than "Hibernate" when the lid is closed 

44 Posts

June 11th, 2021 23:00

Perhaps I need to do reset possibly as well then. As thankfully no globe yet, however I haven't left it asleep overnight unplugged, yet. But today it did drop on me while in use, twice. I am able to quickly recover by disconnecting/reconnecting, and no reboot needed. Certainly appears more more stable but not quite 100%.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 13th, 2021 08:00

When a system is sleeping (or low power mode), there is a certain amount of battery drain per hour.  If the battery drain exceeds a certain amount, the system may change its configuration to stop the drain.

If the battery level gets below a certain level, again it might be making configuration changes to save the battery..  If you are using 2-4% of the battery in sleep mode, overnight, these situations may be occurring.  This may be effecting the power state of the Wi-Fi card..

PWDRA.JPG

44 Posts

June 13th, 2021 08:00

Let the PC sit overnight in Sleep Mode (unplugged) in Windows 10.

Had the Globe of Death upon starting. It did not come back automatically, within the minute I waited, however I was able to disconnect/reconnect and it came back, so no shut down required. But it's clear something is still up with this unfortunately. 

June 13th, 2021 21:00

andybones,

have you upgraded to the new driver? 

44 Posts

June 14th, 2021 21:00

@Halber Spin 1.0.0.1606, yes I am. Infact it's been incredibly unstable. Constant drops. To the point I had to go back to Linux until I find time to consider wiping Windows.. again.

42 Posts

June 15th, 2021 07:00

Hello colleagues,

Let me just ask you guys a quick question about our machine (XPS 13 9310 Wifi AX500) that although not fully related to the topic here (WiFi's globe) it might have something to do:

- Are you guys able to install Dell Power Manager? Because I simply cannot install it... (tried version 3.0; 3.5; 3.7; 3.9) all of them the same issue (installation is interrupted when Installation Status is about 25% through).

I've done some research online and the only solution I found was to update WiFi card drivers (specifically talking about Killer card with Intel AX200 chipset, which is not our case here, as we have a Killer card with Qualcomm chipset).

So, I'm wondering if the rest of you are able to install it (if yes, then it should be another specific issue with my laptop which I have no idea what it is).

I know that the app Dell Power Manager is not a MUST, but I just wanted to do some tests with the profile called "COOL" instead of "OPTIMIZED" in order to check what would be the impact in battery life.

Thanks in advance.

44 Posts

June 15th, 2021 09:00

This application came pre-installed.

June 15th, 2021 09:00

Same here - version 3.9.0 came pre-installed.

Also, with new network driver and C-States enabled, battery life has improved considerably. 

44 Posts

June 15th, 2021 10:00

I'm glad to be seeing this worked on, but it's still a pain in the butt, and not working great. I move between Linux Mnit 20.1 and Windows 10 throughout the week to test different things, as I will be getting my AX201 XPS 13 9310 hopefully soon. I am highly looking forward to it! I was hoping that the new drivers would be enough, at least for Windows. Linux is still in beta for the 5.10 kernel and AX500 support. I really enjoy this XPS 13, I find it to be a great machine. It is a little bit pricey.. however I could have saved myself some $$ by choosing the 16gb RAM version, or choosing the 256GB SSD and upgrading to the 1TB myself. I wanted to future-proof this laptop as much as possible, however so solderd RAM = get the most availble. I paid about $1,600 USD for this configuration (32gb RAM + 1TB SSD). I find this to be a decent price. Anyone able to get this cheaper? 

Has anyone asked about getting a replcement with the AX201 card? Just curious.

Have a great day, everyone!

122 Posts

June 15th, 2021 15:00

Feel like a smug so and so but 6 days working perfectly - no lag - wi-fi instantly available. Am I fixed???

122 Posts

June 16th, 2021 08:00

I found that 1.0.0.1274 appeared to be working ok when I had all killer software removed 

1.0.0.1428 I regularly got the "globe"

1.0.0.1606 - 7 days working perfectly with everything installed 

1 Message

June 16th, 2021 09:00

I'm having the same issue. After updating the drivers couple of times. Dell support is sending the tech to replace the motherboard. Are you saying that's not going to solve the problem? :(. It's really weird that Dell ships new laptops with this kind of problem.

No Events found!