Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2021 07:00

XPS 13 9310 WiFi randomly shuts down (AX500-DBS)

Hello everyone,

I've had my XPS 13 9310 for a month now and since about two weeks my WiFi stops working in random moments. Sometimes it's after waking up from sleep, sometimes it's just randomly during use. The laptop has a Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS card and it looks like the driver just stops working. The card starts working again when I shut down the system completely and turn it on again.

When the WiFi card is down, the Windows Device Manager shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10) (Operation Failed) The requested operation was unsuccessful.". The Event Viewer shows multiple errors around the time the WiFi goes down, e.g.

• The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table.
  • The version number is incorrect for this driver.
  • Miniport Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS Wireless Network Adapter, {86c1bbda-57fc-4364-ad13-5fc9493cc130}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

This issue occurred for me on:

• Windows 10 Pro builds 2004 and 20H2
  • Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS driver version 1.0.0.1428 (from 2020-09-03, latest as of 2021-01-04)
  • BIOS version 1.1.4
  • All other drivers on latest versions.

I've been in contact with Dell support about this particular issue for 2 weeks now, but they haven't found a fix yet. What has been done so far:

Does anyone else have the problem (and hopefully a solution)?

2 Posts

July 29th, 2021 08:00

this solution did not work for me either.

4 Posts

July 29th, 2021 19:00

I'm sorry I didn't update my problem status recently. The solution I posted here also didn't solved my problem. After few weeks later the problem happened again. Then contacting to Dell Support one more time, they didn't have any more suggestions left. They suggested me to make a full system restore or send the PC back to Dell to have a checkup. Since I'm terribly busy with work and I need the PC to work, I decided by myself to try to uninstall the Killer software and see how it would result. So far, I didn't have any problems anymore. I guess it has passed more or less one month.

44 Posts

July 29th, 2021 19:00

Indeed.

From my understanding:

We're at the mercy of Dell being un-able to attain parts..

It seems they just got the Intel AX201 wifi cards, and are ONLY, right now anyway, putting them into the most the vPro (+$100) & 32gb RAM configurations.

Am I just super picky, or are these XPS 13s build quality have major issues?

Keyboard backlight bleed/loose trackpad I've came across on multiple machines. 

I have an ax500 that's perfect, or ax201 that's terrible keyboard bleed, and trackpad is very loose, not to mention the fact that it somehow feels "cheaper". If I flex it, the trackpad presses. (if I hold the laptop holding on each side of the trackpad, and lightly flex). 

To keep the ax500, and pray Intel fixes the driver, or the AX201 and hope that I can get the keyboard and trackpad fixed, which will take time, meaning no laptop for a bit.

4 Posts

July 29th, 2021 21:00

I'm running the version 1.0.0.1606

44 Posts

July 29th, 2021 21:00

Appreciate the update!

1.0.0.1274_A03

or

1.0.0.1606_A06_01

driver?

122 Posts

July 30th, 2021 01:00

I am running 1.0.0.1606 and bios version 3.0.3 and have had no problems with wi-fi since installing these.

I do have the problem where if i hand my laptop to someone else by the corner the mouse button often operates because the whole machine flexes  - not good 

35 Posts

July 30th, 2021 03:00

Same here.

Driver 1.0.0.1606 and Bios version 3.0.3. installed, no problems since then with wifi.

44 Posts

July 30th, 2021 08:00

Thanks guys!

wifi 6 or older router?

122 Posts

July 31st, 2021 02:00

I do not have a wifi 6 router - it is a BT smart hub 2 - but wifi works fine

44 Posts

August 4th, 2021 08:00

I know a few are mentioning killing off the Killer software (pun intended). 

I wanted to try this and quickly got annoyed by some things, and here's what helped me out.

First, after you uninstall the Killer softwares, Windows Update will just reinstall them.

Second, there are "left-overs" if you are just un-installing the software, such are drivers.

Killer Software Uninstaller -- this will disable/remove all things related to the Killer software.

Microsoft Show or Hide Updates Troubleshooter -- this will hide the 2 updates from Windows Updates re-installing after you remove/or disable the Killer software.

Dell Updates will still ask you to update the Kill Software, just ignore it.

August 5th, 2021 05:00

Now there is a new AX500 driver released on Dell's website.

Old driver:
Killer-500-Wi-Fi-UWD-Driver_666PP_WIN_1.0.0.1606_A06_02

New driver:
Killer-500-Wi-Fi-UWD-Driver_CW92T_WIN_1.0.0.1606_A07_02

• 

25.1K Posts

August 11th, 2021 07:00

Hi andybones,
we haven't heard from you since our last conversation. We will proceed towards archiving the case in the next 24 hours. Kindly reach out if you need further assistance.

4 Posts

August 11th, 2021 15:00

Unfortunately, my case is still a problem. I already updated all the drivers, updated the Killer software, removed completely the Killer software, turned off the sleep mode and so on. However, my Wi-Fi still goes down after a random time. Since I use the XPS to work and I cannot have this problem all the time, for now I'm using a LAN adapter and using a wired internet. I really hope we can find a solution for this problem. Pease!!!!

4 Posts

August 15th, 2021 22:00

Does the new driver resolve the issue of the wifi dropping? 

35 Posts

August 26th, 2021 03:00

Hi!

I am still having wifi problems. All Updates installed. Sometimes after start, no networks are found. I then shut it down, enter BIOS and reset to default, then restart. Then networks are found.

My 1st brand new XPS13 i7-11th 32 GB had massive WIFI problems, lots of hours of fixing attempts on the phone with several Dell technicians did not help, mainboard replacement by Dell did not change a thing, I returned it, got a refund and bought another, brand new XPS13 i7-11th 32 GB, assuming that I just had bad luck and that Dell could not possibly sell defective devices to its clients. It was my mistake to trust Dell.

The new XP13 had the same, same wifi problem. Again several hours with Dell technicians on the phone, which did not help. Only the latest Driver Updates by Dell made it feasible to work with the device. But in the last 2 weeks, on two occasions no networks were found - same old problem that Dell claims has been solved.

Other problems of my XPS13:
Audio Plugin for earphones sometimes does not work. I have to reset to windows default drivers.
Weak battery, does not last one working day.
When working and charging, it gets so hot, you could fry an egg or two on it.

I accept problems if they are fixed. I do not accept this. This laptop obviously has a flawed design from the very beginning. And Dell claims the problem is fixex, but it is not.

Dell should offer a replacement/reimbursement.

No Events found!