Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 4th, 2020 00:00

XPS 13 9310, battery life is just 5 hours

I bought xps 13 2 in 1 9310  2 days back and I am experiencing serious battery issues. After charging it to 100%, it only lasts for about 4-5 hours which is not what I expected from a laptop of such a price range. I have only been surfing web and using Word. All of this with just 20% brightness and on battery saver mode.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 9th, 2021 09:00

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

December 4th, 2020 03:00

Single biggest factor is the screen.  That's a reasonable runtime for a system with a UHD screen.   

If the system has a lower resolution FHD screen, you likely should see more like 6-8 hours.

4 Posts

December 8th, 2020 16:00

fhd is about the same to be honest. Just take a look around in the forums.
quite a few of us are getting around 3-4 hours of normal usage and complete discharged systems after short sleep periods.

13 Posts

January 4th, 2021 14:00

How did anybody get more than 6.5 hours of use time on this? 

1920 x 1200

11th gen i5

about 20% bright

surfing 

6.5 hours max not 8 not 12 or 14hrs 

trying on battery saver now to see if I can squeeze 8 hours 

January 15th, 2021 02:00

Hi, I have the same issue. Have a 1 month old  XPS 13 9310 with a 16:10 FullHD+ screen and battery runtime is 6hrs on average. I use battery bar pro to track my battery usage. This laptop is not much better than my previous dell XPS 13 9370, which had a 4K screen.

This current laptop is configured with an I7 processor and 16gb of ram and 1TB SSD.

Can anyone replicate what PCMag reports?

Regards,

KL

3 Posts

January 15th, 2021 05:00

Dell XPS 9310 (Ubuntu 20.04) with 1920x1080 non-touch display (Core i7).

I also not satisfied with battery. Expected much more.

Battery discharges too fast when I use notebook for websites browsing.

If the laptop is on suspend during the night (12 hours) battery loses about 7% of charge. It is not normal!

Looks like it is a common Dell problem, because Latitude 7490 also drains such huge amount of charge during night suspend.

My old Macbook Pro 13 (early 2015) with i7 shows much better results.

I also have checked whether laptop loses battery charge if completely switched off -- no, that's fine. 100% remained after night.

And the most strange thing that when I purchased the laptop (it was in sealed package) its battery was fully empty 0%. Has anyone else experienced the same?

81 Posts

January 15th, 2021 07:00

Alas, it only gets worse as time passes. I have 9300, but they probably use the same *nominally* 51Wh battery. Not only mine arrived with max stored energy of 48Wh in May, it is already down to 40Wh, i.e., it's losing about 2% of its advertised max. charge per month. So I am getting mentally prepared for getting a new one before the end of 2021 already...

All in all, however, the math is simple: [time to discharge] = [max energy] / [discharge rate]. I experimented a bit recording the discharge rates for various regimes and found that the typical rate with moderate usage and low display (FHD) brightness is about 7W. It is possible to get to ~4W discharge rate when the computer is pretty much on idle, not connected to any devices, does not use wifi/bluetooth, and has its brightness settings on absolute minimum. I would also note that "websites browsing" should not be considered a low-power usage. Not only the wifi card can be a power hog (regardless of what/how much data is being transmitted) especially when the connection is weak, lots of websites have buggy/malicious/cryptomining scripts on them, so if you have a dozen tabs open in a browser, your processor may be as loaded as if you're doing full time heavy duty computations. Sometimes just a bit of extra load every few milliseconds can make the power manager decide not to switch the CPU into a lower power consumption mode, so even if the average CPU load is displayed as a few percent, the CPU may still be drawing way more power than it needs. Generally, if the laptop is warm (and not charging) it's dissipating lots of that battery charge whether you want/need it or not.

Finally, indeed, it is annoying as *bad word* that the laptop loses so much power (mine at the rate about 0.5W) while suspended. It is probably related to the lack of/poor S3 sleep support. I use Linux and experimented with various options, but was not able to force S3 sleep without intermittent problems when waking from sleep: some devices weren't functioning anymore, or the laptop would not awake at all. There were threads here though, where some people reported that it worked for them. Unfortunately, Microsoft pushes its modern standby mode, and the industry as a whole follows the lead. I understand that some users want their laptops function as cell phones: be instantly on when they open the lid. For me personally, it is alright to wait 10 seconds (or even 30s) before the laptop is ready to go. It is way more important to be able to suspend it with a dozen various programs and windows open in their specific states, so that I don't have to spend 10 minutes preparing my desktop for work after the full shut down...

1 Message

October 29th, 2023 20:06

Hello,

I have an XPS 13 9310. I charged the laptop to 100% full change. I then unplugged the charger and began using the laptop for normal browsing and watching YouTube videos. No other devices or screens were plugged in.

The system gave a low battery warning a at about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

At 2 hours and 37 minutes the system shut itself down due to battery too low.

This is unacceptable for a business laptop. Not long enough for even one extended meeting or workshop. Dell's own website claims battery life durations of 12 hours and 7 hours.

"Our thinnest and lightest 13-inch XPS is built for a lifestyle on the move. Expect long battery life from both panel options when streaming on the Netflix app for Windows 11: the FHD+ non-touch display offers up to 12 hou, and the 4K+ display gets you up to 7 hours"

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-2-in-1-pcs/xps-13-laptop/spd/xps-13-9315-laptop/bn93409sb

PCMag reviewed the 9310 model and obtained 15 hours of video playback.

https://uk.pcmag.com/laptops/129846/dell-xps-13-9310

Dell, how many hours should the battery of the 9310 last while web browsing and watching video?

(edited)

2 Posts

November 5th, 2023 00:56

@SteveEITCL​ :

Dell, how many hours should the battery of the 9310 last while web browsing and watching video?

@Dell:

It "Varies depending on operating conditions and can significantly reduce under certain power-intensive conditions."  XPS 13 9310 Setup and Specifications | Dell US

(edited)

No Events found!