Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

1 Message

November 7th, 2020 16:00

XPS 13 9310 headphone jack not working

when i plug in my headphones and play audio from any source, it only plays static. I have verified that my headphones work by plugging them into other devices. Strangely enough, my speakers still work fine. How do i restore function to my headphones?

2 Posts

November 15th, 2020 08:00

@kchan250 @DELL-Cares 

I solved this problem on my 9310 on my own. No help from DELL, unfortunately.

The issue was the software load shipped with the system.

I downloaded and reinstalled the following, and now everything works as it should.

• Waves-MaxxAudio-Pro-Application_M96XX_WIN64_3.0.74.0_A05
  • Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_MK3NN_WIN_6.0.9018.1_A01

1 Message

December 26th, 2020 10:00

We had the exact same problem with a brand new XPS 13 9310. Followed the advice to reinstall Waves-Maxx Audio application and Realtek Audio Driver and that fixed the problem. However for us, the correct driver was Realtek--Audio-Driver_92MPH_WIN_6.0.9071.1_A04.

• 

25.1K Posts

November 7th, 2020 23:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

2 Posts

November 13th, 2020 11:00

I am having this exact same issue on my brand new XPS13 9310. 

What can I do to fix it?

December 12th, 2020 15:00

What is the fix for the sound issue with the headphones? Nothing but static when connected to headphones.

December 28th, 2020 12:00

I received a new Dell XPS 13 2-1, 9310, i7, 11thGen, Windows 10, on 12/16/20. It had the described audio jack problem as shipped, i.e. just static noise when using a headset or buds in the jack. Trying to update audio driver from the system's Device Manager did not work - said correct driver installed and working properly (wrong).

Went to Dell Support site for drivers & downloads. Clicked the button on the page to scan my PC for driver updates. None given - said all is well (wrong). But a list of available drivers, ~36, was also provided. Filtered list by "Audio" and saw 2: the Waves MaxxAudioPro and RealTek Audio driver listed. Based on this community user's suggestion, I uninstalled Waves MaxxAudioPro. Then downloaded and did the install for the RealTek Audio driver. This was a 2-times system restart process, as described by the Community user. The audio jack then functioned correctly. The MaxxAudioPro app was also reinstalled by the RealTek Audio driver installation, i.e. I didn't have to download and install it myself. Evidently it is closely related with the audio driver and jack operation.

So, at least as of mid-December, 2020, Dell is shipping new XPS 13 2-1, 9310, Windows 10, machines with a non-functioning audio jack due to an audio driver and associated audio app problem, and the system and Dell Support website are saying the correct driver is installed and working properly (wrong). Bad on ya, Dell.

1 Message

February 8th, 2021 22:00

I purchased a new XPS 8940 January 30, 2021 and the microphone did not work. I paid a ton of money! For a computer that is not fully functional.  The Dell online support diagnostic tool kept telling me that all was working fine. The Dell "professionals" could not figure out how to install the the correct driver and the online support was a joke. Anyone doing online teaching /learning ,gaming, I highly recommend to stay as far away from a  Dell computer. Unless you want to spend hours online researching trying to fix a defective computer right off the assembly line. 

Screenshot_20210209-001224.jpg

1 Message

March 23rd, 2021 20:00

I agree i am having the same problem with my 2019 XPS 13. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the recommended drivers, windows updates, bios updates, used the trouble shooter etc. etc. No success so far. The ear phones work OK but the mic on earphones or any other mikes input to audio jack have never worked since purchase and still does not. A built in fault that should be supported by Dell, but seems to be ignored. Very disappointing to have to use one of the USB c inputs to do what the audio jack should be doing.

Alan

14 Posts

March 28th, 2021 11:00

X-posting as this seems to still be an issue for some users.  I posted this in another thread where everyone was having issues with wifi.  I think my laptop have overcome that issue in the last couple of weeks, however this morning the headphone jack issue emerged on my laptop.  This is incredibly frustrating.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well I probably got a little over confident that this machine was going to be stable and work out long term.  This morning the audio no longer comes out from the headphones.  I've plugged 2 pairs in and same thing.  The audio is fine from the speakers - however nothing comes out from the 2 headsets I plugged in.

I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it.  I turned machine off completely and turned it back on.  Same results.  

While this is not as catastrophic as no wifi - this is definitely unacceptable since a ton of us live on video calls now and now I cannot take a single call w/o the rest of the house hearing it.

I'm just stunned at how unstable these laptops are.  And this is my 2nd one.  Based on personal experience and this message board I have no faith Dell has a handle on the situation.

14 Posts

March 28th, 2021 11:00

So I had one of the Dell Escalation support people get back to me pretty quick; I have a side chat going with them.  I am grateful to them.  They provided the recommended steps below which fixed the issue instantly.  Posting it more broadly to the community.  This is second time where Dell bloatware has impacted what should be a pretty well functioning laptop.  In my other case, it was the bloatware of a "networking optimizer" thru Killer.  Now it's the bloware of Realtek that seems to be the issue.  fyi I also installed the Waves audio software.  Good luck to the rest of you.

Steps to re-enable audio thru headphone jack:

1. right click on start menu and select device manager

2. expand 'sound video and game controllers'

3. Right click on the realtek drivers listed there and select update drivers

4. Select ' browse my computer for drivers'

5. Select 'pick drivers from a list'

6. uncheck 'show compatible drivers'

7. Select microsoft as the manufacturer and on the right pane select ' High definition Audio device version (the most recent date)'

8. click on Next. The system might request a restart. Please restart.

April 15th, 2021 08:00

I just got my laptop. Cool specs and hefty price tag of almost $2000 dlls. I work online as a Teacher so video calling for a couple hours a day is what I do. It worked great for 9 days!!! I spent 3 hrs today trying to fix this after not being heard for 2 of my classes today! 

Your solution worked!!! Thank you so much!!!

April 15th, 2021 08:00

@D_Styp Thank You!Thank You! Thank You! May you have a wonderful day, sending you good wishes, and thoughts!

June 13th, 2021 03:00

Yes, this worked for me too. Tried both Realtek drivers and this one resolved the issue.

1 Message

January 5th, 2022 10:00

I had the same issue and going to Dell Updates and Drivers website, I found there was a firmware driver that needed installing (note, this wasn't stated anywhere else, I have double-check a million times), called BIOS. I did and it solved the issue for me. 

1 Message

November 20th, 2022 18:00

Thank you so much for this tip. It worked like a charm.

No Events found!