Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2018 15:00

XPS 13 9343, not charging, 4 amber 1 white

I have an xps 13 9343 and a few months ago I replaced the battery with an OEM because the middle cell was bulging. 

The battery is charged 39% but and the light in front of the touchpad is blinking 4 yellow, 1 white. Running F12 diagnostics shows all clear (battery is 39% charge and works 97). Booting with F2 also shows that there is a charger and no other indications. The moment I remove the AC power the computer shuts down.

What may be the problem? We use quite a few computers in our organization and I need to make sure we have reliable hardware.

Thanks Vince

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

November 21st, 2018 16:00

That combination of lights indicates a bad battery The first step would be to replace the battery with a new or known good battery.

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

November 21st, 2018 16:00

Does the system correctly identify the battery?

3 Posts

November 21st, 2018 22:00

yes, it seems to correctly ID the battery.... 

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2018 04:00

Unplug the system, disconnect the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Reconnect the battery and try again - if you still see the same issue (system cuts off when the AC adapter is removed), and the battery has a charge, replace the mainboard.

3 Posts

November 26th, 2018 14:00

Just as an update, I brought the laptop to a local PC "fixit" shop and as I started to explain the problem the lady behind the counter said that it was likely an non OEM battery that was the issue. The replaced the Amazon, non OEM battery with a Dell one and the computer appears to be fixed. It seems to be a known issue.

January 27th, 2019 18:00

Thank you. The battery, which is new, worked fine for two months. So that the battery is bad or that it’s a non dell battery does not make sense.

1 Message

March 26th, 2019 16:00

I've been experiencing much the same problem.  It started with the original battery not fully charging, culminating in the 4,1 flashed error code. A call to Dell yielded the news that they do not or cannot supply a replacement battery. I suppose they changed the design for subsequent XPS 13 models. An aftermarket battery initially solved the problem, though the 4,1 error code returned a few months later. Unplugging the battery and plugging it back in gives another month or two of normal operation, then it's time to pull the tools out and repeat the process. Is there a means to perform this reset short of a battery disconnect? Does this indicate a main board failure?

1 Message

April 7th, 2019 04:00

Unplugging & plugging back the battery seems to fix the issue.

It really looks like Dell is just detecting the non-Dell battery and refusing to charge it. Is there some way to prevent the laptop from understanding that the battery is non-Dell?

1 Message

June 27th, 2019 06:00

Any updates on your issue?  I have exactly the same symptoms with the same model.  I installed another new non-OEM (ebay) battery and was hopeful that the problem with not re-occur but it has.  I'm unclear as to why disconnecting the battery clears the issue - as least temporarily.   I also bought a cooling pad thinking that the laptop was overheating at some point but it did not help.  The unreliability of the machine has now made me purchase a small screwdriver set for travel purpose.

1 Message

September 18th, 2019 22:00

I have been experiencing the exact same issue with a 3 yr old XPS13 9350.   I bought a replacement battery on Amazon, not quite the same ref (JD25G instead of 90V7W) , but supposedly compatible according to the seller.   It lasted a few weeks.   I reported this to the seller who sent me a replacement right away.   This lasted a little longer.   I thought the different reference might be the problem, so I ordered the exact same (90V7W).   I thought that did it, but now 4 months later, I have the same 4amber-1white blinking LED.

My battery is not defective, I could get 5-6 hours of work on a full charge.  Same thing for the previous replacements. 

The interesting thing is that all the batteries I got had a small sticker of the vendor name, taped over the Dell name.   With the sticker removed, the last battery looks exactly like the one that came with the computer.

It is really irritating that Dell doesn't stand by their product and no longer provides a replacement.

3 Posts

October 15th, 2019 20:00

But if the system indicated good battery why would we need replacing?

So pretty much 4 blink lights mean go to dell support?

I bought my laptop from a used device store and I need to know if they used a non official battery I would need to reach out to them

8 Posts

November 28th, 2019 03:00

>> I bought a replacement battery on Amazon, not quite the same ref (JD25G instead of 90V7W)
>> My battery is not defective, I could get 5-6 hours of work on a full charge. 

Same here, almost. I've got xps 13 9343. It had original JD25G that started swelling. I got 90V7W replacement, supposedly compatible, with slightly different voltage (7.6 vs original 7.4V) and slightly larger capacity.

I occasionally get amber/white flashes, not often. But all works fine, battery charges ok, and I get 5-6 hours of work on that. Nothing's hot or anything.

The flashes occur usually some time after it's fully charged, out of the blue for no reason. Battery is fully charged at that point. When the flashes are done, white charging light stays on, but Windows says "fully charged, not charging".

I wonder if there is any way to "recallibrate" any electronics on motherboard (not the battery charging controller) after battery replacement. 

Some websites say to fully charge and let it run on battery till fully discharged (till system auto shuts down).

Comments welcome

No Events found!