Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2018 01:00

XPS 13 9350, P2719HC, USB Type-C to C cable

Hi everyone,

How do I connect my XPS 13 9350 laptop to an P2719HC using a single USB Type-C cable? The USB Type-C cable that came with the P2719HC only lets the power and data transfer but no video? Is there some other type of cable or adapter I need to get or do I need to download some software etc.?

Thanks,

6 Posts

October 16th, 2018 16:00

I'm relieved to say my XPS 13 9350 is currently working with my P2219hc monitor via a USB type C (male) to HMDI 1.4 (male) cable. I checked the cable with the LG Gram on two separate HDMI compatible screens and it worked well, as it did for my XPS. I am feeling more confident that the issue is some kind of bug Dell needs to address now that I know my XPS can output video from the type C port. 

Btw, big thanks, jphughan for helping out on here!

6 Posts

October 12th, 2018 15:00

I would love to get some help with this too. I have an XPS 13 9350 as well and had the same issue with my P2219hc. I tried updating drivers and such but it still did not work. It transmitted power and data before and after updating drivers but still no video.

Funny enough, I plugged in an LG gram via type C and it worked effortlessly (including video). 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 12th, 2018 17:00

Not all USB-C cables are equal.  Display data is carried over the USB 3.1 pins, and some USB-C cables only have wiring to support power and USB 2.0 and therefore can't carry display data (or USB 3.1), but if the cable came with the display, I don't think that would apply.  The XPS 13 9350 definitely supports display output via USB-C, and you don't need any software other than the Intel Graphics drivers that should be installed anyway.  Are you connecting the USB-C cable directly to the system rather than through some sort of hub/dongle device?  Most of those devices don't support passing display data through an "upstream" USB-C port.  Other than that, are you sure you've got the display set to the USB-C input?  If you've already looked at all that, try updating your system BIOS and Intel graphics driver.

I wrote a long post about the somewhat confusing landscape of USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 cables here if you're interested, although again I don't think this would account for your particular issue.

Also, here is the manual for that display if you haven't already checked it out.

6 Posts

October 12th, 2018 19:00

Thanks for the reply. In my case (though I don't think mine is much different than GarethAUS), I have updated the intel HD graphics 520 from the dell support page to the latest driver available from the site [23.20.164973] and the bios as well [1.7.0]. I tried updating some of the thunderbolt drivers hoping that would work but it didn't fix anything. You are correct in saying that the XPS 13 9350 should support video via USB type C- it has DP1.2, which is what these monitors require. I am also using the cable provided, so not the issue as you thought as well.

I'm starting to believe this is a bug/issue specifically with these laptops exclusively. Again, my P2219hc monitor worked from type C when plugged into an LG gram (data, power, and video) without issue. I also tested HDMI to another laptop and that worked well. 

So to wrap up, it is only my XPS 13 9350 which does not transmit video (data and power work). Do you have any other ideas? I tried Dell on the phone but they would not help as i'm out of warranty and the issue does not appear to be with the monitor. Can you forward this thread to Dell support?

6 Posts

October 12th, 2018 19:00

I connect the provided type C cable directly from my XPS 13 to the monitor (no dongles) and the monitor is set to detect type C connections. I updated the bios [1.7.0] and the intel HD graphics 520 [23.20.16.4973] drivers from the Dell support page. It still does not work. You are right the XPS 13 9350 supports DP 1.2 which is what the monitor requires for video. Before and after updating drivers, I only had/have data and power from type C with my 9350. 

Again, when I plugged in an LG gram with type C, it worked perfectly (data, power, video). I also tested HDMI to a separate laptop and that worked. I do not believe the monitor is faulty, though I am starting to think this is a bug/glitch specific to the XPS 13 based on my experience and GarethAUS's and the fact that it worked with the gram.

Any other ideas or suggestions? 

*note: rather than create a new post for my issue, I wrote it on here since it seems like it's the same issue*

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 12th, 2018 20:00

Just to confirm, when you tried the LG Gram, did you use the same USB-C cable that you've been using with the XPS 13?  If so, then I agree it's either some strange conflict with the specific combination of the XPS 13 9350 and this particular display model, or else a broader issue with USB-C video output from your system, the latter of which would likely require a motherboard replacement to resolve.  @Kevvster or @GarethAUS, any chance either of you have access to a USB-C to DisplayPort or HDMI dongle/adapter/cable just to test whether your system's USB-C video output is working from that system to some other display, or perhaps even a different input on the P2719HC?  Given that both of you are having the same issue, I agree that the "incompatible combination" theory seems more credible, but on the other hand it's just a 1080p display that carries USB and charging.  That's not very complicated.  My wife has an XPS 13 9350 on the latest BIOS and driver that's connected to a WD15 dock through USB-C.  That's providing charging, USB data, and video output to dual 1920x1200 displays, and it works flawlessly.  Maybe this is some sort of firmware issue with the P2719HC?  I don't see any firmware updates for it on support.dell.com at the moment, but maybe there will need to be one.

On a completely unrelated note, how does text look on a 27" 1080p display?  I would have thought that the pixel density of 1080p spread across 27" would be a bit too low given that even 24" 1080p is slightly below the "regular" 96-100 ppi range, which I assume is why 27" displays more commonly use 1440p resolution -- but I have indeed seen a few 27" models that run 1080p.  Or are you using them primarily for gaming?  I'm guessing Dell went 1080p here so they could support daisy-chaining a second display even when using a USB-C cable that also carried USB 3.1 data.  I have dual 27" 1440p displays in a daisy chain setup driven off a single USB-C to DisplayPort cable from my system, but that only works because the USB-C cable in my case is used solely for video, which makes more bandwidth available.

6 Posts

October 12th, 2018 21:00

Same cable, indeed. I would like to test my XPS 13 with something you mentioned like USB type C-to-DP or a type C-HDMI dongle. Any suggestions for a low-cost adapter/dongle to use? I hope it isn't something with the motherboard.

The reason for getting the P2219hc monitor was specifically to just use one cable. Before buying the monitor, I considered ordering a type C-to-DVI-D to use on an older (lower res) monitor with only VGA and DVI-D. I do not have that cable but it was somewhat cheap so maybe it is worth buying- if that worked, would that rule out my XPS not able to carry video out of the type C port?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 13th, 2018 07:00

@Kevvster wrote:

Same cable, indeed. I would like to test my XPS 13 with something you mentioned like USB type C-to-DP or a type C-HDMI dongle. Any suggestions for a low-cost adapter/dongle to use? I hope it isn't something with the motherboard.

The reason for getting the P2219hc monitor was specifically to just use one cable. Before buying the monitor, I considered ordering a type C-to-DVI-D to use on an older (lower res) monitor with only VGA and DVI-D. I do not have that cable but it was somewhat cheap so maybe it is worth buying- if that worked, would that rule out my XPS not able to carry video out of the type C port?

Yes, a USB-C to DVI adapter would work for confirming your system's video output capability, although if you're buying an adapter anyway, it might make more sense to buy a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter since you'll likely have more uses for HDMI than DVI going forward, and HDMI 2.0 can handle up to 4K at 60 Hz -- and if you already have an HDMI to DVI adapter/cable you could tack that onto such an adapter in order to connect to your DVI display.  Just make sure it specifically mentions HDMI 2.0, since some HDMI adapters are only 1.4 and therefore only do 4K 30 Hz or 1440p 60 Hz.  Alternatively, if being able to connect to TVs isn't a concern, then a USB-C to DisplayPort cable/adapter would be the most technically capable option, since DisplayPort can also handle 4K 60 Hz but unlike HDMI can also drive multiple independent displays from a single output if your displays support daisy-chaining or you use an MST hub.  USB-C to DisplayPort would also be the simplest adapter/cable because the USB-C port outputs native DisplayPort.  All of the other USB-C video cables/adapters would therefore have conversion circuitry to switch that to HDMI, VGA, etc.

As for specific cable/dongle suggestions, I have a USB-C to DisplayPort cable made by Cable Matters.  But if they don't have what you want, I find that Anker and StarTech also make consistently reliable, quality products.

If you want everything on one cable without having to buy a dock, then the highest resolution you can support over USB-C with a DisplayPort 1.2 signal would be a single 2560x1600 display or dual 1080p displays, the latter of which Dell specifically mentions in the product page of the P2719HC, so that may be why they went with 1080p.  The reason you'd be able to do 4K 60 Hz with the other solutions I mentioned earlier again is that you wouldn't be trying to carry USB data at the same time with those adapters/cables.  I wrote a post about the various operating modes of USB-C here if you're curious.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 16th, 2018 18:00

Happy to help!  And glad to hear your system's USB-C video output is working, although I admit I'm a bit surprised that it turns out to be an incompatibility between that specific system and that specific display's USB-C port, since your system apparently works fine through a USB-C to HDMI cable going to that same display.  I guess in that case keep an eye out for firmware updates to your system and to the display itself.  For the latter, you'll probably need to connect to it via USB-C to flash it.  I'll be curious to see which device gets the update that solves this issue, although somehow I doubt we'll ever get a technical explanation as to underlying cause.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 16th, 2018 18:00

I just sent a PM about this thread to a moderator here who has been good about escalating issues like this to the relevant engineering teams in the past.  Most recently, he escalated an issue involving certain recent laptops failing to register keyboard inputs when very fast typists entered certain patterns, and that got resolved with a firmware update.  I was very grateful for that because I have one of those recent laptops and type 140 WPM, so it was driving me absolutely nuts.  For some reason the moderator's name doesn't come up when I enter an "at" sign and search for it, which means I can't trigger a "mention", so I figured a PM was the next best thing.  Hopefully this gets resolved!

6 Posts

October 17th, 2018 21:00

That's great, thank you! I hope something comes of it. I will be checking the support page daily now!

November 27th, 2018 03:00

I have the same issues with my 9350 and a portable monitor that supports power/signal over USB-C. It works flawlessly with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S8) and with other laptops (I tried two different Lenovo models), but refuses to work on the 9350.

I contacted Dell support via Twitter, but they only confirmed that the 9350 is compliant with DP 1.2, which is true *with an adapter*, but not directly via USB-C to USB-C cable.

This is extremely annoying, as I wanted the display to work with a single cable in mobility, but now I need to use two (it works with USB-C for power and HDMI for signal). For the record, this is the display I bought: https://magedok-shop.myshopify.com/products/133-inch-2k-ips-quad-hd-portable-monitor1332k

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 27th, 2018 09:00

@spaghettidba wrote:

I have the same issues with my 9350 and a portable monitor that supports power/signal over USB-C. It works flawlessly with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S8) and with other laptops (I tried two different Lenovo models), but refuses to work on the 9350.

I contacted Dell support via Twitter, but they only confirmed that the 9350 is compliant with DP 1.2, which is true *with an adapter*, but not directly via USB-C to USB-C cable.

This is extremely annoying, as I wanted the display to work with a single cable in mobility, but now I need to use two (it works with USB-C for power and HDMI for signal). For the record, this is the display I bought: https://magedok-shop.myshopify.com/products/133-inch-2k-ips-quad-hd-portable-monitor1332k

Fyi even with a USB-C to USB-C cable, the display portion of the signal is still DisplayPort 1.2.  If you're connecting to a device that also wants to handle USB 3.0 data as well, then you'll only get half the bandwidth of a full DisplayPort 1.2 connection, but it's still native DisplayPort 1.2 signaling.  I wrote a detailed post about USB-C's various operating modes here if you're curious.

November 27th, 2018 09:00

@

even with a USB-C to USB-C cable, the display portion of the signal is still DisplayPort 1.2.  If you're connecting to a device that also wants to handle USB 3.0 data as well, then you'll only get half the bandwidth of a full DisplayPort 1.2 connection, but it's still native DisplayPort 1.2 signaling.  I wrote a detailed post about USB-C's various operating modes here if you're curious.

Thank you, this is really interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn't help explain why the 9350 doesn't want to cooperate with my external monitor.

Did the moderator get back to you on this?

Thanks!

November 27th, 2018 12:00

Thanks.

Unfortunately that's not the answer I was looking for. Dell's kb is disappointing for many reasons.

First off, I bought this laptop less than two years ago. I understand it's EOL for the manufacturer, but it's brand new for me.

Second, it would probably just need a firmware update, which is entirely feasible for dell.

I'm not buying an expensive docking station to overcome a limitation in the product I bought, which is supposed to work and doesn't. Moreover, there is no guarantee that the dock would work, so I really see no point in spending that money.

The monitor works via dock + HDMI, so no question about it.

Thanks again for your help. I really wish Dell changed their mind, but I'm not holding my breath

No Events found!