ivanwir123
1 Copper

XPS 13 9350 overheat when left to sleep and drains battery

Hello, I really need help in getting this issue solved. Every time/ most of the time I leave my xps into sleep mode, it will start to overheat (really hot) in a few hours after being put in the state. It will also drain the battery, usually from a fully charged battery to almost 0% or 0 (wont start) the next day. I have tried out a few methods that was discussed in this forum but with no success. Would be really great if a moderator of if someone who has dealt with this issue successfully could help. Thank you
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: XPS 13 9350 overheat when left to sleep and drains batte

Hi ivanwir123,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Sleep mode is not a reliable application and the system should really be shut off to prevent battery drain and heat issues.  The newer model laptops no longer have sleep mode, but rather have what's called modern standby.  There are several applications still running including wireless, mail, etc. when in modern standby which will cause the issues you've described.

Please run a systems diagnostics to check for any hardware issues. Run Dell SupportAssist and make a note of any hardware issues found.  If there are none, then it may indicate a software or driver issue.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty or it's software related, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi ivanwir123,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Sleep mode is not a reliable application and the system should really be shut off to prevent battery drain and heat issues.  The newer model laptops no longer have sleep mode, but rather have what's called modern standby.  There are several applications still running including wireless, mail, etc. when in modern standby which will cause the issues you've described.

Please run a systems diagnostics to check for any hardware issues. Run Dell SupportAssist and make a note of any hardware issues found.  If there are none, then it may indicate a software or driver issue.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty or it's software related, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
ivanwir123
1 Copper

Hi, thank you for the prompt reply.

I have run the system diagnostic check and found no problem with the hardware. 

Is it only with the newer models that this problem does not occur? I only had this problem recently as this sleeping problem was really not an issue when I first started using the laptop.

I am probably out of my warranty time frame now, but would a service solve this issue?

Thanks,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
samos1111
3 Argentium

Before Modern Sleep, sleep mode used to be a quite reliable thing with older laptops, of course until the battery ran out in a day or two (because powered RAM). Unfortunately not with all Dell laptops... 

I understand the 9350 is not exactly a new model and probably still has S3 sleep, the OP should check this. 

I've had a similar issue with the 9550 - it still gets reported every now and then but doesn't seem to affect most laptops. It appears to be caused by failed automatic switchover from Sleep to Hibernate after a preset time. The switchover fails, and the laptop wakes instead, to this weird state from which it doesn't want to sleep/hibernate/turn off again. 

First do a hard shutdown (5 sec pwr button). Then reflash BIOS (same version - this seems to reset something). This just to get it back to normal. 

Then the workaround is to set Hibernate After in advanced power profile options to Never (0). Of course, if this feature worked, the laptop could last in Hibernate much longer than in Sleep. You can still enter Hibernate directly.

0 Kudos
ivanwir123
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 9350 overheat when left to sleep and drains battery

Hi, thank you for the prompt reply. I have run the system diagnostic check and found no problem with the hardware. Is it only with the newer models that this problem does not occur? I only had this problem recently as this sleeping problem was really not an issue when I first started using the laptop. I am probably out of my warranty time frame now, but would a service solve this issue? Thanks, Ivan

0 Kudos
ivanwir123
1 Copper

Thanks, will try it out!

0 Kudos