Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 11th, 2019 22:00

XPS 13 9350, overheat when left to sleep and drains battery

Hello, I really need help in getting this issue solved. Every time/ most of the time I leave my xps into sleep mode, it will start to overheat (really hot) in a few hours after being put in the state. It will also drain the battery, usually from a fully charged battery to almost 0% or 0 (wont start) the next day. I have tried out a few methods that was discussed in this forum but with no success.

Thank you

• 

16.7K Posts

July 16th, 2019 07:00

Alipapa,

The Battery drains quicker than expected on a Dell notebook with Modern Standby mode enabled

For those who have Modern Standby (Connected Standby) and want to disable it =
* Press Windows R
* Enter regedit
* Click OK
* Find
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
* On the right, double click CsEnabled
* Change it to 0
* Click OK
* Close the Registry Editor

To enable Hibernate option =
* Click Windows icon
* Type comm
* Right click Command Prompt
* Click on Run as administrator
* Type powercfg /a (this shows the states available)
* Type powercfg /h on [press Enter]

9.4K Posts

February 12th, 2019 05:00

Hi ivanwir123,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Sleep mode is not a reliable application and the system should really be shut off to prevent battery drain and heat issues.  The newer model laptops no longer have sleep mode, but rather have what's called modern standby.  There are several applications still running including wireless, mail, etc. when in modern standby which will cause the issues you've described.

Please run a systems diagnostics to check for any hardware issues. Run Dell SupportAssist and make a note of any hardware issues found.  If there are none, then it may indicate a software or driver issue.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty or it's software related, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

9.4K Posts

February 12th, 2019 05:00

Hi ivanwir123,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Sleep mode is not a reliable application and the system should really be shut off to prevent battery drain and heat issues.  The newer model laptops no longer have sleep mode, but rather have what's called modern standby.  There are several applications still running including wireless, mail, etc. when in modern standby which will cause the issues you've described.

Please run a systems diagnostics to check for any hardware issues. Run Dell SupportAssist and make a note of any hardware issues found.  If there are none, then it may indicate a software or driver issue.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty or it's software related, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

February 12th, 2019 19:00

Hi, thank you for the prompt reply.

I have run the system diagnostic check and found no problem with the hardware. 

Is it only with the newer models that this problem does not occur? I only had this problem recently as this sleeping problem was really not an issue when I first started using the laptop.

I am probably out of my warranty time frame now, but would a service solve this issue?

Thanks,

Ivan

489 Posts

February 13th, 2019 01:00

Before Modern Sleep, sleep mode used to be a quite reliable thing with older laptops, of course until the battery ran out in a day or two (because powered RAM). Unfortunately not with all Dell laptops... 

I understand the 9350 is not exactly a new model and probably still has S3 sleep, the OP should check this. 

I've had a similar issue with the 9550 - it still gets reported every now and then but doesn't seem to affect most laptops. It appears to be caused by failed automatic switchover from Sleep to Hibernate after a preset time. The switchover fails, and the laptop wakes instead, to this weird state from which it doesn't want to sleep/hibernate/turn off again. 

First do a hard shutdown (5 sec pwr button). Then reflash BIOS (same version - this seems to reset something). This just to get it back to normal. 

Then the workaround is to set Hibernate After in advanced power profile options to Never (0). Of course, if this feature worked, the laptop could last in Hibernate much longer than in Sleep. You can still enter Hibernate directly.

February 14th, 2019 09:00

Re: XPS 13 9350 overheat when left to sleep and drains battery

Hi, thank you for the prompt reply. I have run the system diagnostic check and found no problem with the hardware. Is it only with the newer models that this problem does not occur? I only had this problem recently as this sleeping problem was really not an issue when I first started using the laptop. I am probably out of my warranty time frame now, but would a service solve this issue? Thanks, Ivan

February 14th, 2019 09:00

Thanks, will try it out!

4 Posts

July 14th, 2019 02:00

I have the same problem, and it is really annoying as when I get to office or customer office the laptop will be crazy hot left with no juice...

So glad that I just ordered a new Thinkpad. the 9350 has been the worst laptop I ever had!

I have endless problem with the laptop turning on itself after I shut it down. The TB3 always lose connectivity with the Dell Dock and with the Aorus gaming box.

Will not buy Dell laptop again for sure.

2 Posts

September 20th, 2019 19:00

Have been dealing with this since 2016 when I bought this computer. Dozens of attempts to fix it and I have simply given up. Shame, it is a nice laptop otherwise but I drop it in my bag, jump on a flight, and 3 hours later it is lava hot and drained.

My 2016 work issued HP does not do this, my wife's macbook does not do this. Only this thing. I'm giving up and getting a thinkpad. It's simply ridiculous in 2019 the only answer Dell can provide is completely shut down your computer every time you close it up. That's just idiotic.

January 16th, 2020 12:00

Besides being dangerous, this destroys the battery.  I'm on my third battery.  Is there a fix or workaround?  Otherwise I'm going ThinkPad.

March 24th, 2024 07:46

I wrote a Quora article and I might have a solution about that (but I use Hibernate not Sleep for a better battery performance)
The solution that I start to test today is 
powercfg /h /type full
        The hiberfile size has been set to: 13.645.725.696 bytes.
How can the computer ZIP 32 GB into a fiberfill of 13 GB?
Today I tested that 18 GB used RAM hibernate - so some ZIP-ing is done - let's see what is the maximum used RAM that hibernates on Windows 10
The computer is silently burning inside the backpack - do not tell Dell as I may lose the guarantee :-( 

This is the Quora article
Quora - Not Hibernating with 32 GB RAM on Windows 10 - plane can catch fire

(edited)

No Events found!