Highlighted
srfritsche
Bronze

XPS 13 (9350) "BIOS update blocked due to unsupported downgrade"

I am getting notifications in Windows 10 that prompt me to restart my system to complete a BIOS update. ("Important update from Dell. Dell XPS 13 9350 System BIOS".) When I click Install the system restarts, the BIOS update appears to begin, the error message in the subject line above appears, and I return to the Windows 10 login screen. The next time I restart my system I get the same notification. Wash, rinse, repeat.

According to Dell's support page for this ultrabook, the latest BIOS version is 1.6.1 as of this date (21 Jan 2018). I checked my installed BIOS version by entering the BIOS and it has this same version installed (1.6.1). 

The Windows 10 notification appears to come from Dell SupportAssist. When I launch SupportAssist and choose "Drivers and Downloads" nothing appears under "Urgent" or "Recommended." However, if I click on "Show Optional Updates" I see the following: "BIOS - Dell XPS 13 9350 System BIOS, Version 1.00.00.01.00.00, 10 MB". 

I see no way to remove this optional update or stop the notifications for downgrade items. Please advise. Thanks.

79 Replies
rtdismuke
Bronze

Re: XPS 13 (9350) "BIOS update blocked due to unsupported downgrade"

Same thing is happening to my Dell 9350...Bios update is blocked.  This has happened 3 or 4 times in the last couple days

Ianvisible
Copper

Same equipment.  Same problem.

Advice and/or fix would be appreciated.

Thanks.

roybil
Copper

I have a friend who just called me about the same error on her XPS 13. 

Grishna
Copper

Same thing happened today to my Dell 9350...said it needed a BIOS update. Freaked me out when the big red writing of "Bios update is blocked" came up!

Keen to understand if there is an actual issue that I need to resolve, or if I should stop worrying :-)

OlyEric
Copper

Add me to the list of victims.  Same laptop, same issue, same time period.  Over and over and....

Me too.

Rod32
Copper

Me too - daily prompts appearing telling me to do it whilst getting a red flag from the Norton system.
KeithAC
Copper

Another one exactly the same as the original poster

Roel1067
Copper

Me too on my 9360.