Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 21st, 2018 02:00

XPS 13 9360 boot from USB

Hello,

I want to install dual boot Windows 10/Ubuntu. I am having problems with booting from USB (Windows 10 installation). I cannot boot from usb. The error is:

Selected boot device failed.

I tried Legacy/UEFI mode, secure boot is disabled, fast boot is thorough. The Legacy and UEFI boot options for USB are enabled. The BIOS version is 2.10.0.

I also tried to change SATA mode to AHCI. Did not help.

Thank you for your answer in advance.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 21st, 2018 06:00

You shouldn't be enabling Legacy mode.  Ubuntu supports UEFI booting, including Secure Boot, so keep those features on so that your system only supports UEFI booting, otherwise you could end up installing something in Legacy mode when you didn't intend to.  Changing the SATA Operation to AHCI mode won't affect USB booting, although it will prevent your existing Windows 10 installation from booting if it was installed while the system was in RAID mode.  That said, Ubuntu will require you to use AHCI mode in order to install, so you'll either need to jump through some hoops to allow switching your existing Windows 10 installation over to AHCI mode, or switch to AHCI mode and then just perform clean installs of both OSes.  I would do Windows 10 first because Ubuntu makes it easy to set up a dual boot environment when it detects a Windows installation.  Windows does not make any accommodations for existing Linux installations.

As for the problem:

- How did you create your Windows 10 installation media on that USB flash drive?  Try using Microsoft's official tool that comes with the Windows 10 download, or otherwise Rufus (rufus.akeo.ie)

- Do you have the flash drive connected directly to the system rather than through a hub?

- Have you successfully booted this system from that flash drive before?  If not, try a different flash drive.  Some flash drives seem not to work for booting certain systems.

- Make sure you're selecting to boot from USB by pressing F12 during startup to access the one-time boot menu, not by going into the BIOS and mucking around with boot order.

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2018 04:00

Actually, i restored default BIOS settings and set to AHCI mode and it works. Althougth, the wifi driver was not installed with Windows installation.

December 21st, 2018 23:00

Thanks for the answer! All I have at hand is a Dell XPS with ubuntu on it so I can't use Windows Recovery Media Creator or Rufus as they are windows programs. But I can use ubuntu's Image Disk Writer to write a bootable iso image to a USB drive. The problem is that if I use ubuntu iso image, i can successfully boot from the USB drive, but if I use any of the official Windows iso images from Microsoft or Dell, it says "boot device failed". Because I can boot into ubuntu installation from that USB drive without problems I'm assuming there are no problems with the USB drive, the way it's connected and BISO setup.. but why doesn't it work with a Windows ISO? No idea, need community help.. :)

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 22nd, 2018 00:00

You don’t have access to some other Windows PC that you can use temporarily? If not, then I’m not sure what to tell you. I know that at least for Legacy booting, you can’t use native Linux tools to create Windows installation media because Windows and Linux boot environments require different partition boot code. Partitions formatted by Windows get support for Windows boot code, and partitions formatted by Linux get Linux boot code. However, UEFI booting doesn’t require that because it boots in a very different way. So IN THEORY (I haven’t tested this on Linux), you should be able to just set up your flash drive as either MBR or GPT (doesn’t matter which), create a FAT32 partition on it, and then mount the ISO and simply copy the contents of that ISO to the flash drive. Forget about an image disk writer tool meant for Linux. With UEFI booting, you just need your flash drive to use a file system that the firmware can read (FAT32) and you need the Bootx64.efi bootloader file to exist at \EFI\Boot, which it will if you perform a simple file copy like I just described. Again, I haven’t tested this on Linux, but this does work from Windows if you just need UEFI boot support.

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2018 03:00

I am using Rufus and Windows creation tools. When I create Ubuntu Boot USB, it works, but when I put windows iso there, it fails. The USB drive is working because it successfully boots Ubuntu from it. The iso has to work too, because it successfully boots on other computers. So, I am out of options here. I think the problem will be with BIOS settings.

22 Posts

January 8th, 2020 11:00

Is setting AHCI important?  Is it safe? When I click on that it comes up with scary warnings.

No Events found!