Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2018 20:00

XPS 13 9365 BIOS v1.2.1 installed but gone (1.1.0 available)

A little while ago, I upgraded my XPS 13 9365 to BIOS 1.2.1.  I was perusing support for my service tag/model recently, and I noticed the current BIOS version listed is 1.1.0.  Google still has links to the 1.2.1 BIOS, but it's no longer on the website:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=G72MH
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:tXrbRmsqhJUJ:www.dell.com/support/home/Drivers/DriversDetails%3FdriverId%3DG72MH+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1-ab

I can't find any other references to 1.2.1.  Does anyone know what happened?  Should I downgrade (assuming it will let me)?  My first instinct would be that a major bug was found in 1.2.1, but I'd hope there would be some communication about it somewhere.  Apologies if I missed it, and thanks for any help!

Best,
Jef

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

January 30th, 2018 05:00

Withdrawn after notice from Intel. The microcode update that should patch the Spectre vulnerability was found to cause instability. 

If you don't have unbearable issues, just wait for the next update. The problem is that some experienced trouble when downgrading.  

Microsoft has reportedly prepared an update to roll back the problematic Spectre mitigation. No idea how exactly this is related to the BIOS update. 

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 30th, 2018 05:00

Don't attempt to downgrade it may brick your system. My XPS 9365 bricked when I attempted to downgrade when testing the Dell BIOS Recovery Tool. :( Dell will probably release a BIOS Update once the issues are resolved.

February 20th, 2018 15:00

Had a lot of system instability issues after  installing 1.2.1 on my xps 13 9365. I updated the BIOS to the newly released 1.3.1 today using this method from Dell's site. I could not flash the bios to the old version or 1.3.1 from 1.2.1 using the exe method, or the Dell pre-boot flash bios option. Had to do it on a flash drive with this method below. (And had to suspend bitlocker before doing it.) I used the laptop method in the video.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

I wasted a lot of time on the phone with Dell, found this solution on my own. I hope this saves at least one person a headache out there.

Eric

February 23rd, 2018 12:00

BIOS 1.3.1 Did not correct the power issues I have been having on these machines, including the system randomly powering off with a nearly fully charged battery and not wanting to power up. Dell is sending a tech out to replace motherboards on several of ours in an effort to correct the issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2018 15:00

[QUOTE]BIOS 1.3.1 Did not correct the power issues I have been having on these machines, including the system randomly powering off with a nearly fully charged battery and not wanting to power up. Dell is sending a tech out to replace motherboards on several of ours in an effort to correct the issue.[/QUOTE]

I have had my system not power up a couple of times but removing the external power would resolve that.  Many folks have problems with this system because they are not aware of the modern standby configuration and how it works.

The Win 10 Fall Creator's Update did cause power problems because it would not allow hibernation until the fix came along.

No Events found!