Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2022 07:00

XPS 13 9365 Wi-Fi card upgrade compatibility

XPS 13 9365 2-in-1

XPS 13 9365 2-in-1

Hello,

I want to upgrade my Wi-Fi card in my Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 9365. It currently has the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and I would like to get the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201. I am just not sure if it is compatible with my system. Only reason I am upgrading is because I cannot use WPA3 Wi-Fi settings on my new router with the current Wi-Fi card in my laptop. If anybody has any suggestions as to if this is compatible or what might be compatible I would love for the help.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

August 15th, 2022 08:00

The wifi card in this system is not replaceable  -- it is hard soldered to the system board, so any upgrade requires a USB (external) adapter.  

Service manual has the details:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-13-9365-2-in-1-laptop/docs

68 Posts

August 15th, 2022 07:00

Should be no issue. I replaced the Killer 8365(?) in my Dell XPS 9650 three years ago with an AX210 and totally solved all WIFI issues with the wretched Killer WIFI. Be careful with removing and replacing the WIFI card cables, as the sockets are tiny and difficult to deal with. If you damage the socket, replacing the cable may require significant disassembly of the laptop.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

It's unlikely you would even find a part to fit the system, and even less likely that anyone competent enough to undertake the job would even be willing to try.  So -- from both a technical and a practical standpoint, the answer is no -- there is no alternative to using a USB adapter.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

AFAIK, Dell doesn't "white list" WiFi/Bluetooth modules like HP sometimes does ... so it might basically work.

Also possible problem is that the existing internal antenna configuration doesn't meet the specification of the new-model card. If miss-matched, you would see little to no benefit (if it works properly at all).

2 Posts

That's unfortunate, is there anything else I can do other than having an external adapter? Like is it possible for professionals to remove the card.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 15th, 2022 13:00

I have a model from the first year the 9365s were available and that card seems to be working normally still.  

Whether you might want to go to an external device, depends on what speeds you require.  The link speed on my system is showing 866/866 Mbps which is fast enough for most operations.  I run my Router with a WPA2/WPA3-Personal security so it works fine on the WPA2-Personal AES.

No Events found!