Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

5 Posts

January 28th, 2019 23:00

XPS 13 9370 Dock TB16 problems after BIOS update 1.7.3

I have issues after BIOS upgrade. Every time the system is started or I log in (after screen lock) Dock/System is loosing external keyboard and mouse (USB). I need to re-plug them to Docking station. System: Ubuntu 18.10 (up-to-date) BIOS Upgrade: XPS_9370_1.7.3.exe

2 Posts

January 26th, 2019 08:00

After BIOS update this AM, Dell wireless kb/mouse KM636 stopped working plugged into dock.   Works fine when plugged in direct.  Was working fine before.  I will wait before reverting back to see what support does so I can test.

22 Posts

January 26th, 2019 08:00

Upgrade from BIOS 1.6.3 to 1.7.3, causes problems with the Dell Thunderbolt TB16 Docking station. The USB ports and ethernet port were not recognized. However, the HDMI port is functioning. The TB16 Dock has the latest firmware and software. So as to not render the TB16 docking station to an expensive paperweight, I re-flashed back to BIOS 1.6.3 and everything is working perfectly fine again.

5 Posts

January 29th, 2019 01:00

Same problem here, I'm flashing back 1.6.3.

5 Posts

January 29th, 2019 02:00

thanks for feedback. Downgraded to 1.6.3 and the problems seemed to go away, even though downgrade was unsuccessful (according to the messages)

5 Posts

January 29th, 2019 04:00

@Dell-Alan D:

I'm running Ubuntu "Budgie" 18.10 alone on my XPS 13.

Actually I was having issues with all the USB devices that were connected to the TB16 (mouse, keyboard, USB headset). The mouse & keyboard would just stop working while I'd be having constant disconnects while using the headset (with constant kernel errors being shown).

Sorry, I cannot test it anymore since I've gone back to 1.6.3 (as this is my daily working unit). Everything works just fine now.

BTW I've seen 1.7.3 download has been removed.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

Hi @VasylK / @vpont 

Thanks for advising. Can you both help me with more details about your setups so I can investigate this further please

a) Is this only present on Ubuntu 18.10 or does it also occur on other revisions?
b) What model of keyboard are you connecting to the docking station?
c) If you connect the external keyboard directly to the system, do you still have the same problem with external keyboard functionality?
d) Do either of you run Windows systems and can confirm if the issue is also present on that?

Alan

5 Posts

@Dell-Alan D 

> a) Is this only present on Ubuntu 18.10 or does it also occur on other revisions?

I run only Ubuntu 18.10 on this laptop

> b) What model of keyboard are you connecting to the docking station?

Quite plain classic HP keyboard KU-0316 (USB cable), Mouse Logitech M510

> c) If you connect the external keyboard directly to the system, do you still have the same problem with external keyboard functionality?

I cannot test it anymore - downgraded to BIOS 1.6.3

> d) Do either of you run Windows systems and can confirm if the issue is also present on that?

No Windows :)

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

January 29th, 2019 05:00

@vpont / @VasylK 

Thanks for the prompt replies. As BIOS 1.7.3 has been removed from the driver and downloads site, it's more than likely due to issues found in testing.

With regards to Ubuntu, Canonical hasn't yet certified Ubuntu 18.10 on the 9370. At present, issues with the BIOS update aside, that flavour of Ubuntu isn't yet supported.

Your options are to return to 1.6.3 BIOS revision or run Ubuntu 18.01 in order for us to support the system.

Alan

22 Posts

January 29th, 2019 06:00

@ Dell- Allen D: I have the same exact problem with Windows 10 pro 64 bit.  I already posted about this a couple of days ago.  See my post here: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9370-BIOS-1-7-3-Upgrade-Causes-TB16-Dock-Issues/m-p/7196542#M24148

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

January 29th, 2019 07:00

@calvin0399 wrote:

@ Dell- Allen D: I have the same exact problem with Windows 10 pro 64 bit.  I already posted about this a couple of days ago.  See my post here: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9370-BIOS-1-7-3-Upgrade-Causes-TB16-Dock-Issues/m-p/7196542#M24148

@calvin0399 thanks for reaching out to me. The 1.7.3 update was pulled earlier today. Normally this happens as a result of issues being brought to light that were not picked up during testing. 

I would recommend rolling back to the previous BIOS revision to maintain TB16 /USB device functionality.

Alan

1 Message

February 8th, 2019 04:00

I've an XPS 13 9370 with BIOS 1.6.3 and Windows 10 Pro x64 and I've the problem described above. When I connect the TB16 dock to my laptop the USB ports does not work and I need to reboot the machine.

I can not even update the doc firmware, although the thunderbolt drivers are updated to version 17.4.44.400.

In my office there are 4 TB16 dock, all with the same problem.

TB16_update.png

February 8th, 2019 05:00

a) Is this only present on Ubuntu 18.10 or does it also occur on other revisions?

Answer: You have the same problem even before boot the OS (Ubuntu 18.10)

Answer: HP IBM, New and old

c) If you connect the external keyboard directly to the system, do you still have the same problem with external keyboard functionality?

Answer: Thats my workaround right now!

d) Do either of you run Windows systems and can confirm if the issue is also present on that?

Answer: Never tried

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

February 12th, 2019 01:00

@nespoales wrote:

I've an XPS 13 9370 with BIOS 1.6.3 and Windows 10 Pro x64 and I've the problem described above. When I connect the TB16 dock to my laptop the USB ports does not work and I need to reboot the machine.

I can not even update the doc firmware, although the thunderbolt drivers are updated to version 17.4.44.400.

In my office there are 4 TB16 dock, all with the same problem.

TB16_update.png

@nespoales has this only happened since updating to BIOS 1.6.3?

Does it affect all usb ports on the TB16?
If the issue is happening with 4 different docks, that would suggest there is either a problem with your notebook or the Window and drivers installation.

If you connect up a usb keyboard and mouse to the TB16 and then boot the system into the BIOS (Power on the system and keep tapping on the F2 key rapidly in quick succession) - do the keyboard and mouse respond in the BIOS?

To update the firmware on the dock, you require the following firmware driver - https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=7TJ1H&osCode=WT64A&productCode=dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb16

I would suggest following these instructions to install it correctly - 

1. Click Download File

2. Save the file to the Desktop or a preferred location

3. When ready, right-click the downloaded file and select Run as administrator, follow the on screen instructions

4. If this doesn't resolve the issue, try substituting parts to identify the fault (i.e. Try a known good cable on the dock, and try a known good dock on the existing cable if possible)

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

February 12th, 2019 02:00

@RogerBergling wrote:

Answer: You have the same problem even before boot the OS (Ubuntu 18.10)

Answer: HP IBM, New and old

Answer: Thats my workaround right now!

Answer: Never tried

@RogerBergling as I posted above, that BIOS revision was pulled. Have you reverted back to 1.6.3 and if so, do you still have problems with connectivity using that BIOS revision?

Alan

No Events found!