Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2018 02:00

XPS 13 9370 Front LED Sleep mode

Hello,

I recenctly acquired a new XPS 13 9370 and have observed that the front LED ist just lit in case the laptop battery is charging. But when I put the laptop in sleep mode, there is no indication at all to see if the laptop is actually in sleep mode or if its still running or completely shut down. That is really inconvenient.

Is that the normal behavior of that model, or is that a malfunction in my unit?

Regards

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 31st, 2018 06:00

It is a modern standby or connected standby or InstantGo system.  All different names for the same type of configuration.

You can look this up but the system does not actually sleep but goes into a low power mode where part is kept in an active state while saving power over a comparable sleep mode.

If you search for connected standby you may find a Microsoft YouTube site which explains it.  I will look for that link and include it in this post if I find it.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Mechanics/Understanding-Surface-Power-Management-with-Modern-Standby-in-Windows-10

• 

17K Posts

May 31st, 2018 04:00

mvalero,

Make sure that your power and sleep options are setup for the computer. Go to Start-Settings-System-Power and Sleep. From this screen change the settings that meet your criteria. Now, click Additional Power Settings at the bottom. Click each option on the left column and set change the settings to the right that also meet your criteria. Do this for each option on the left column.

4 Posts

May 31st, 2018 05:00

Hello Jesse,

I checked that screen and everything seems correctly configured, but my question is: Shouldn't the front LED have a blink or "breath" effect when the laptop is in Sleep mode? Otherwise is impossible to tell if the laptop is switched off or in sleep mode.

All LEDs in my machine are switched off in sleep mode.

Thanks.

4 Posts

Hi Saltgrass,

thank you for your answer. Here the output:

The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Connectivity in standby is not supported.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

I was thinking the 9370 did Modern Standby.  If so, it will behave differently than you expect.

To find out, if you have iTunes, start playing music and see if it pauses when the display goes dark.

You could also open an Admin command prompt and type the command below.  Copy and paste the first few lines of the listing.

powercfg /a

No Events found!