This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2018 20:00

XPS 13-9370, Keyboard skips button presses

remove

2 Posts

April 6th, 2018 10:00

I've just received a replacement XPS 13 9370 (the first one missclicked on the edges of the spacebar). I've experimented the issue described here. All together (including a non-working camera under linux) it's a huge disappointment.

I'm waiting a few days for official answer, but probably I'll have to return the laptop and buy an alternative.

Specs of the failing machine:

• i7-8550U
  • FHD screen
  • 16GB ram
  • 512 SSD
  • Ubuntu 16.04

April 8th, 2018 20:00

Same problem here. Just spent a fortune on the new XPS 13 9370. It skips key presses when typing even slightly fast.

Not only that, the touch pad skips maybe 1 out of every 10 touches. I'm guessing they're related issues.

Fingers crossed there's a firmware fix soon!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 9th, 2018 13:00

Glad to see that Dell-Justin C has replied and is escalating as appropriate.  Hopefully this turns out to be fixable via firmware and the investigation results in fixes for ALL affected models, because this thread, some other similar threads, and my own personal experience indicate that this behavior occurs across several recent Dell systems, not just the XPS 13 9370.  As I mentioned earlier, I personally continue to suffer this issue on my Latitude 7480.

1 Message

April 9th, 2018 13:00

+1 for the same issue. 

Would be nice to hear back from Dell on a possible resolution date. $2k for a laptop that I cant type with out hitting the backspace 100's of times every email. 

Very annoying and simply poor form from Dell due to the lack of communications. I have been refreshing this post for 2 weeks now and nothing. Thought it was time to add another comment. 

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

April 10th, 2018 10:00

@jphughan,

Thank you for your post.

1.9.3 solved this for 7480. Are you already running that?

@Community,

No new updates yet.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 10th, 2018 10:00

@DELL-Justin C, I had not checked for Latitude 7480 firmware updates for a while, but I've just installed that update and can confirm it fixes the issue.  You sir have just made my WEEK -- thank you!!  I'm thrilled I won't have to continue suffering this issue for the next several years I'll have this work-issued system, and perhaps the even better news for others on this thread is that this is apparently fixable via firmware as opposed to being a hardware defect/deficiency.  Thanks again! :)

3 Posts

April 12th, 2018 07:00

Glad to hear this is getting fixed on some models, is there any fix in sight for the 9370? It's very annoying, although mine seems to be intermittent.

Thanks!

1 Message

April 12th, 2018 07:00

Hello Justin

Just wondering if there has been any progress made on rolling out a fix for the keyboard issue?  I returned the original 9370 I purchased from the Microsoft Store because of the keyboard issue, however the replacement is doing the same thing.  This is very frustrating to say the least and need to make a decision on whether to keep the notebook before the return time expires?

Glen

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

April 13th, 2018 09:00

@Community,

Engineering has informed me that XPS 13 9370 BIOS version 1.3.1 will contain the fix and should be released within the next 2 months.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

April 13th, 2018 10:00

@Takkie,

I'm not aware of any work around. Since this is a firmware issue, there likely isn't a work around. 

10 Posts

April 13th, 2018 10:00

@DELL-Justin C great news! Hopefully the new bios will land soon.

For the meantime, is there a quick fix we can do our selfs?

April 16th, 2018 18:00

Great news that a fix is on the way! Thanks very much!

April 19th, 2018 03:00

Can the fix for just this issue be released as a hotfix, rather than waiting for a full BIOS version?

Even when trying to slow myself down, I'm having to fix about 2 typos per sentence - I'd say it's a fairly critical flaw to warrant being pushed out asap. If it'll really take as long as 2 full months to fix it I might have to consider returning it for something else.

In the meantime, have any of you guys had any luck finding a way (other than slowing down) to lessen the issue?

4 Posts

April 21st, 2018 09:00

@DELL-Justin C

Hi Justin. I just wanted to check to see if the XPS13 9365 2in1 will also be receiving an updated firmware at some point to address the issue. My system is exhibiting this exact behavior, and the two 9365 systems on display at our local electronics store also have the problem. 

Thank you for your time and expertise,
Ron

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2018 01:00

@DELL-Justin C,

Same problem with the new Latitude 7490. BIOS version 1.3.3. Will it be fixed?

No Events found!