Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2018 18:00

XPS 13 9370, bad Dell experience all around

So I typically buy Lenovo Ultrabooks (Carbon X1 to be exact) and have been very happy.  But I always research to see if things have changed when I make my new purchases.  This time around everyone seemed to recommend the new Dell XPS 13, so I decided to make the change.  I use have used Dell monitors and always been really happy, right now I have two Dell Ultrasharp 34inch curved monitors.

So I was recommended by Dell to buy the XPS 13 (9370) and bought the 2nd from highest config, I didn't want the 4k touch screen since I was told it drained the battery quicker and also told 8GB of ram was enough.  I have been using this for a month and it is just too slow with the 8GB, lagging on a lot of programs, and definitely when multi-tasking.  Since I was recommended this model by a Dell rep I called up customer service to ask about more ram, they put me on hold and transferred me to sales.  I told sales I wanted more ram and just bought the unit and it was acting really slow and they transferred me to technical support, they told me I needed more ram and transferred me back to sales.

4 hours later, between calling by phone, trying the online chat, and being transferred close to a dozen times I have yet to get an answer.  Part way through I started getting frustrated and looked at what the cost to upgrade the ram was, it was $100 dollars.  All I wanted to do was upgrade my ram on a less than 30-day old laptop.

I asked to talk to a supervisor which no one could seem to do, and at the end, I was extremely frustrated and thought Dell should actually just send me the ram free of charge for really taking a loyal customer and not caring and not having the proper customer service in place to help them and taking up half their day.

In the end, I gave up, I have a brand new Dell XPS 13 (9370) the 1399.99 model and I will probably go buy a Lenovo and use it as a paperweight.  Really disappointed in this who experience.  And if you are going with that model I would error on the side of caution and try to upgrade to even 32GB of ram if possible. 

The machine looks great and really wanted to like it, but I am really disappointed. I have several friends all waiting for my feedback since they were looking at the same machine and now they are unsure too after watching my experience with Dell.

1 Message

September 26th, 2018 13:00

Ok - had the same issues everyone else is describing. Go to Settings > System > Tablet Mode and change When I sign in to Use Desktop Mode. Then change When this device automatically switches tablet mode on or off to Don't ask me and don't switch.

This essentially disables Tablet Mode. Voila. Problem fixed.

I knew better than to try and run device designed for Dual Mode. Tablet Mode in Windows 10 is buggy.

1 Message

July 18th, 2018 06:00

I agree wholeheartedly on this issue. 

Purchased an XPS 13 9370 in March this year. 4k, 8'th gen i7 CPU, 16 gb ram, 1Tb ssd. 

This machine runs Excel 2016 at 1/10 the speed of my 2011 MacBook Pro running Bootcamp. 

I have had the screen replaced, the Motherboard replaced, diagnostics run multiple times, updated the Realteck audio to fix a bug with Excel there, downloaded the latest video driver from Intel, updated BIOS, all while spending hours on the phone with Tech support. 

Oh I almost forgot, I also upgraded my MS Office to 64 bit from 32 with no result. 

I agree with RBDTT that Dell support are clueless. the last girl I got was reading from a manual as she was trying to help. In the end I was leading her through the process! Ridiculous!

Dell's current perspective is that I send the machine to their service depot for 10 days. Had no answer when I asked what the heck I was supposed to use for a computer while they had my machine. 

This is the most expensive laptop I have purchased, $3,200 CAD, and the most disappointing. 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 18th, 2018 07:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused, I will be glad to look into this for you.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

1 Message

February 24th, 2019 14:00

I bought the XPS 13 (9370) Developer Edition with Ubuntu back in December (16GB / 512GB ssd / 1080p), and I have to say that so far I have not experienced any of the issues mentioned in this thread. However, I went with the 1080p screen rather than 4K, because on a 13 inch laptop, 1080p makes for a much better user experience in my opinion. I guess that's all subjective, depending on your usage and preferences. Anyway, so far I'm really happy with my purchase.

Anyway, you should be able to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB ram easily and relatively cheaply, compared to the $1400 paperweight option at least.

No Events found!