Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

December 18th, 2020 01:00

XPS 13 9370 can't sleep or hibernate

Hi, I have this issue for some time now, I can't get the laptop to sleep or hibernation. I tried it using power button, sleep button, also right from the menu, and everytime I choose sleep or hibernate, the screen turns off, but the fan keeps spinning and it just won't sleep. So I must turn off the computer completely every time, which is pretty annoying.

I must say, that it works sometimes, but very rarely, when it hibernates. But around 80 % of cases it just doesn't work.

Please help me with this.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

December 18th, 2020 05:00

Check advanced power profile settings, probably you've got "Hibernate After" set to a certain amount of time. Sometimes this auto-switchover fails. Workaround by disabling this, set to Never (0).

After this happens, the laptop seems mostly to run normally, but some things are weird, like this insomnia thing you report. Then only hard shutdown (5 secs pwr button) works.

Also try reflashing BIOS because this resets things (if you do BIS reset, you have to redo changes you may have made).

3 Posts

January 5th, 2021 00:00

Hi,

thanks for the answer. I've set the hibernate after to Never, but it didn't help. Then I restarted with power button for 5 seconds, and after the restart I was able to hibernate the computer. Today I tried it again, and again I was able to do it. So I will keep on testing, and will let you know whether the problem is gone or not.

3 Posts

January 6th, 2021 00:00

Hi,

so I experienced the issue again. It seems that some time after reboot, it is working, however, after some time, I still can't hibernate the computer.

I didn't try your last advice about reflashing BIOS as I don't know how to do it, and since it is my work computer I am also bit afraid that it might break something.

• 

25.7K Posts

January 6th, 2021 00:00

Hi,

Not to worry, we will look into this. Kindly DM and let us know the current symptoms that you are facing. 

1 Message

January 13th, 2021 09:00

I am having exactely the same problem with my XPS 13 9380. Since it updated to Windows 20H2 last month it won't sleep or hibernate. Unfortunately I cannot return to the previous version of Windows because I deleted it (it horded 35GB). 

Very frustrating. I have to fully shut down the computer every time I am done using it. 

8 Posts

April 4th, 2021 02:00

We have the same issue, it's infuriating.

Hibernating works only every other time, most often it immediately wakes up again after hitting hibernate. It is so frustrating.

1 Message

April 18th, 2021 11:00

Same here. 

XPS 13 9370. Windows Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042

Does not seem to be a common factor involved. First I thought it had to do with certain programs bein active, preventing the system to go into sleep, but that does not seem to be the case.

1 Message

April 26th, 2021 08:00

Having this same issue - is there any fix? Dell, are you aware of this issue and working to resolve it?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 29th, 2021 11:00

I found something that helped on my 3 month old XPS 8940. It was having the same problems that were caused by not shutting down correctly, even though I followed all the right shutdown procedures. Hybrid Sleep is the new default for shutdown. Shutting down completely now requires pressing the Shift key when selecting Shutdown. That cured the shutdown problem. Some other tips that might help are included in this--

How To Properly Shut Down A Windows 10 PC (lifehacker.com.au)

April 29th, 2021 11:00

Having the same issue. It's frustrating since most Macs can be working for weeks on the same session, whereas I always have to save all my files and close windows when I have to move my XPS9370 to work, for example (unless I keep it running, which uses all the battery)

1 Message

May 31st, 2021 08:00

I have same issues. This issues ruined my battery.

Terrible for expensive XPS.

4 Posts

January 4th, 2024 18:59

Hi, I know this thread is old but this has been a frustrating issue for a expensive laptop like xps 13. Thanks if anyone has a solution.

February 8th, 2024 02:03

I also would like a solution.  I select Hibernate, the screen says "Hibernating" and a few seconds later the login window appears.  I can select Hibernate (or push the power button which I set to Hibernate) 10 times in a row and see the same thing, but sometimes, but not always, if I close the Chrome browser, then push the button for Hibernate, it actually hibernates.

(edited)

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2024 16:11

yep, exactly the same problem.

Can't hibernate except, weirdly once in maybe 100 tries, usually after I've shut loads of stuff down I didn't really want to.

Hit the hibernate option, whirl, blank screen then back yo the log in page.

Sometimes it looks like it's done but secretly hasn't.

Hence battery always goes flat, the machine is never available when I need it as I have to go charge it first. 

Thought it might be shortage of disk space but I've got about 4 x  the RAM so probably not that.

Geting hard to recommend XPS models while this is unresolved.

(edited)

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2024 16:16

I just realised - I can't even get it to sleep!!!

Arggh!

No Events found!