Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

22 Posts

June 7th, 2019 05:00

XPS 13 9370 won't charge to 100%

Just XPS 13 just recently started to exhibit this strange charging behaviour where it fails to charge to 100%.

It gets to 99%, then says "Charging - 4 minutes left" and just stays there forever, and the charging light is continually on.

Things I've tried:

• Draining it and recharging it
  • All of the different power modes in the BIOS and in the Power Manager tool, including ensuring there's no min/max limits set
  • Charging it when it's off
  • Checking the battery %age in the BIOS to ensure it's not a Windows problem

I have all the latest DELL and Windows updates.

My workaround is to set a max charge of 99%, but it's not ideal as I'd like to use the other power modes besides just the "custom" one.

Anyone experienced this or suggest another solution I haven't tried yet?

Thanks a lot!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 7th, 2019 07:00

This is not really a problem. Batteries do not need to be charged to 100%. As long as it charges to 80% or higher it's ok. In fact preserving battery life recommends charging to 80%. BTW never drain lithium battery to zero. That is old timey practice for the original old style batteries. Lithium ones do not require that. See article--

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-tips-for-extending-lithium-ion-battery-life/

1 Message

April 20th, 2021 14:00

Not a good answer.  Dell is designed to stop charging when 100% is achieved.  At 99% it will continue to charge, thus damaging the battery.

No Events found!