Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 30th, 2019 22:00

XPS 13 9380, Intel Chipset, BSOD

I have a new (May 2019) XPS 13 9380 i78565U, W10 Home x64, 16GB.

Bios newest 1.4.0

Support Assist 3.2.2.119 = latest

When Support Assist checks for drivers, it keeps coming up with Intel Chipset 17093.8106_A07_01.exe

If I check directly on the Dell Support website it comes up with the same file. 

When I download the file and try to install, I get the Windows Blue Screen of Death. 

In System / Device Manager everything looks normal. 

I see other people posting install logs but don't know where to look for that if it's required. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks

2 Posts

May 31st, 2019 10:00

This is what Dell support has been privately PMing me, that the Support program is wrong and I should ignore the file. Just a bit sloppy that it's there to begin with in my opinion.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 31st, 2019 06:00

You have a new computer and you should not be updating system files at all. Chipset drivers do not change on laptops and must be installed first before all other drivers which is impossible for you. Support Assist is wrong many times. Do not use it. Lots of us uninstall it. Laptops rarely if ever get driver updates and if they do Dell should be the one to notify you. Dell customizes drivers for your exact motherboard.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 31st, 2019 06:00

You might find a log in the ProgramData\Dell\UpdatePackage\Log folder.  The ProgramData is a hidden folder so make it visible in the view options of File Explorer.

If a BSOD occurred it may not have time to create a log file.

Have you upgraded your Win 10 build to the May 2019 version but I suppose not if you are getting a BSOD and not a GSOD?

Some folks suggest installing an update while in Safe Mode but I haven't tried.

September 4th, 2019 18:00

Why would Dell Update Utility tell me to update my chipset then? I have the same issue. A XPS 13 9380 less than a month old which cannot be updated? Why would you try to refute the question if the issues is on Dell's side? If there is a chipset update available, and DELL software recommends it, why shouldn't it install just fine as anything else?

No Events found!