Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2019 07:00

XPS 13 9380, Killer 1435 Wireless , can't connect issue

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 9380 13" laptop. In trying to set everything up,I discovered that I am unable to connect to my home FIOS. I've read a ton of stuff online about these Killer wireless adapters, and have tried a bunch of options, but am still without a solution! NEED HELP!! 

Here's my specs + progress to date:

1. Verizon FIOS cannot connect. 
  2. Confirmed laptop wireless works - connected to mobile hotspot and local coffee shop wifi
  3. Confirmed router is working - other devices are connected and can connect fine
  4. Have rebooted router multiple times, incl unplugging, resetting, etc
  5. Have confirmed channel on router is set to a 2.4gh channel
  6. Have downloaded and launched latest Killer wireless drivers from Dell.com (very fun given laptop was unable to connect to the web)
  7. Have tried to forget wireless signal
  8. Have disabled/reenabled wireless adapter
  9. Have futzed with the adapter settings 
  10. Machine does not have a hardline adapter so cannot even get online via cable

I have tried multiple combinations but to no avail. I can see this is a popular issue but I can not seen a silver bullet here. I did read something about uninstalling the Killer drivers, but not redownload/reinstall new Killer drivers - rather, reboot the machine. I was going to try that but did not know whether that would be a problem of getting drivers reinstalled or if Windows would default to its own drivers (even if machine is offline). Any advise for this option before I proceed?

Thanks in advance as this is killing me. My old laptop just died and I got this beautiful machine, but this issue is aggravating me to the point where I almost want to return it. And Dell customer service has been incredibly useful (pun intended). I feel extremely frustrated for spending $1200+ on a paper weight now.

Thanks for any advice and guidance!

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

August 19th, 2019 13:00

So you cannot connect to your home Wifi but you connect fine everywhere else, is that correct? That sounds more like an incompatibility with your home router. Assuming your router is dual band, have you tried connecting to the 5 GHz band? Now this seems unlikely but do you have Smartbyte installed? If so have you tried uninstalling the app? The following series of posts may shed some light.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9370-Killer-WiFi-issues/td-p/6006897

August 19th, 2019 14:00

Thanks for the response - much appreciated. The link you sent is a little depressing because that's how I feel!!

My FIOS router is one of the older versions and hence is only 2.4gh. And yes, I can connect w other, older devices...which is weird. And I know this new laptop can connect to wireless signals - so I know it's not like I got a defective wireless card either.

I am not a tech person and am considering uninstalling the Killer driver...but, can I use another driver that supports the Killer 1435? And does Windows 10 have a default one baked into it, or do I need to proactively download it from somewhere.

Thanks...I'm not too far away either from punting this laptop back to Dell either

No Events found!