Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2022 00:00

XPS 13 Plus 9320 - Huge Power Drain of 2.4GHz WiFi

XPS 13 Plus 9320

XPS 13 Plus 9320

After a bit of experimenting, I have discovered that my XPS 13 Plus roughly triples its power consumption when on 2.4GHz WiFi.

It doesn't matter if Bluetooth is on or off, it is not an interference issue with Bluetooth devices. It is also not caused by the WiFi AP. I have tried three different APs and connected to all of them all in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz mode. The result is always the same, battery life drops to a third of what it was seconds earlier when on 5GHz WiFi.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

4 Posts

September 23rd, 2022 01:00

The initial indication is that reinstalling the updates has resolved the issue. The battery life is much better all round regardless of the WiFI frequency. I will monitor the battery for a few days before marking this ticket resolved.

457 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 04:00

Have you updated all the drivers for the system? I know you said the issue persisted regardless of whether BT was on or off, but there was a driver update that seemed to hint at a similar issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 08:00

Where are you seeing the Power Consumption number?  You are watching the battery level when you connect to Wi-Fi?  If so, does that reading stay consistent or might it be a bug and showing an incorrect number.

Have you done a sleep study on the system to see if anything shows up there?

Modern standby SleepStudy | Microsoft Learn

When doing research on this type of problem, it is always good to keep in mind the time it happens.  So, in case you compare it to some log, you can narrow down what is being shown.

4 Posts

It is not about sleep, it is during normal office work (drafting documents / web browsing). I am looking at percentage drop over a period of time.

In Win11 the battery life estimation is based off of current load for what appears to be a rather short measurement interval, basically you cant use it it estimate much of anything.

4 Posts

SupportAssist and Windows update indicated that everything is up to date. Regardless, I have manually downloaded the updates from Dell and I reinstalled them. I am not sure if it will work but it is worth a try.

One thing I have noticed is that after installing Dell Performance I am unable to open Dell Power Manager even after reinstalling it. The service is still installed but the GUI is disabled, I guess that means something is different.

I will test with this configuration tomorrow and see if it is any better.

No Events found!