Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

4 Posts

June 28th, 2022 19:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

XPS 13 Plus 9320, Touchpad malfunctioning

Hello,

I very recently received my new XPS 13 Plus 9320. I happily used it for about a week until one the day the haptic feedback from the touchpad suddenly began malfunctioning. It still functions mostly as a mouse (moving, scrolling, clicking), but the feedback only makes a sound and no physical feedback. All feedback intensity settings feel the same except 100% where the touchpad becomes unusable. At 100% intensity the touchpad automatically clicks about every second even when I am not touching it.

I've been in touch with Dell support and have an open ticket but nothing has helped. Restarting comp, resetting settings, reinstalling/updating drivers, restoring comp, and reinstalling windows 11 have not fixed it. Seems likely to be a hardware issue at this point.

Has anyone else experienced this? This issue makes for a poor experience using the touchpad and I am unhappy that a week-old machine would physically break without any apparent trauma.

Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 11th, 2022 06:00

This thread has been reported to the XPS team. When we have information, we will post it here.

August 13th, 2022 10:00

Well seems that I am also joining the club guys. Similar issue that all of you have reported as well a brand new pristine laptop. Mine as two modes of malfunctioning. Sometimes it goes into a rant of constantly clicking and making noises including feedback and sometimes it goes into silence mode where it behaves as if the touchpad is clicked. So the only thing I can do is drag things around. Super annoying. Happens in Windows happens also when I have the BIOS open. Called DELL Support they are offering a replacement. However reading the comments here I have little hopes of solving the issue. Very poor to see a new technological failing so hard. Probably some MBA manager dropped the quality of the suppliers in his excel... I'll keep you guys posted. 

6 Posts

August 21st, 2022 07:00

I am experiencing an issue with touchpad as well. It is locked into permanent click mode. It has gone into silence mode where it behaves as if the touchpad is clicked. The only thing I can do is drag things around - it moves windows when moving mouse, because it is clicked in.

Using an external mouse still works, if mouse pointer can be parked at some place that does not hinder the work.

August 21st, 2022 08:00

The XPS 13 Plus replaces the regular XPS 13 models from the 9310 and 9305 models, which we reviewed, when it comes with a 13.4-inch screen and a touch screen option. It will be available in a standard FHD+ or UHD+ version or alternatively with a 3.5K resolution OLED screen. The model also incorporates a surround sound system with four speakers with a total power of 8W, when it comes with a rather limited amount of connections of only 2 Thunderbolt 4 connections.

Technical specifications Dell XPS 13 Plus
Processor - up to Core i7-1280P.
Memory - up to 32GB LPDDR5 memory.
Storage - SSD with a volume of up to 1TB.
Video card - Intel Iris Xe built-in.
Screen - 13.4 inches that comes in FHD+ or UHD+ resolution with the option to touch and an option for an OLED panel with a 3.5K resolution.
Size – 15.28×295.3×199.04 mm.
Battery – 55WHr.
Weight - from 1.24 kg.
Dell's new XPS 13 Plus laptop will be available for sale in spring (March-June) 2022, with the company not giving price estimates for the new model.

August 21st, 2022 08:00

But the truth is almost as always ... a reset helps in everything!

6 Posts

August 21st, 2022 10:00

reflashed bios 1.6.0; and opened mouse settings-->additional mouse settings; toggled turn of click lock on-and then off (It was off earlier - I don't use the click lock). those steps or some magic seems to have resolved stuck left-click issue for now. 

6 Posts

August 21st, 2022 13:00

alright.. issue comes back

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 29th, 2022 05:00

Test the September 30, 2022 released Touchpad firmware update 2022.9.13.1

1 Message

August 30th, 2022 18:00

The trackpad keeps clicking on its own. Tried resetting and everything. Sometimes even the top function keys stop working. One time I had worked an entire day without function keys. Tried everything from running of Safe Mode and Dell support had also concluded keyboard needed replacement.

Sadly, I'm in the Maldives and support here is not easy. I'm stuck with the XPS Plus. But very unhappy with this laptop.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

September 1st, 2022 11:00

In addition to the above reply from Dell-Chris M regarding the touchpad firmware update, did you install the latest BIOS update 1.7.1 ? 

1 Message

September 3rd, 2022 06:00

Joining the club, with 10 days old machine...

I'm having the same issue here. The touchpad keep clicking & laptop becomes unusable.

September 5th, 2022 22:00

Hi guys,

to give you an update. I have had support replacing the touch pad or better to say the entire hand rest, for which they literary need to take out everything. Unfortunately I needed to have it replaced twice as the new spare part was broken. When the technician finished his work, the feedback was completely missing but at least I could use my laptop as it was not randomly clicking. Then after the second replacement everything is now working fine for a week. I will keep you posted if that changed. So really forget about resetting the bios or reinstalling windows. Its most probably a hardware defect and get it replaced. 

Cheers,

Ben

September 25th, 2022 12:00

I am having a similar issue. The trackpad seems to get stuck in the down position, particularly in the bottom left corner, and continually selects everything on the screen (making it impossible to work) 

5 Posts

September 26th, 2022 13:00

Hello,

i had the same problem as wel: after a week, the haptic click disappeared and got replaced by some weird noise. When the laptop was cold (eg getting out of its bag after travel), touchpad would completely stop working, and it started working (a bit) again after letting it warm up.

It got replaced today. Now i don't have a fingerprint sensor anymore, and the touchpad is working a bit better: when i click in the middle i get the normal haptic feedback, but when i click on the edge i get the weird noise. Sometimes mouse button is stuck.

I filed another support ticket now.

Frank

October 1st, 2022 09:00

Hello, 

Joining the club of recent Dell XPS 13 Plus 9320 owners with malfunctioning touchpad.

Abysmal experience purchasing the most expensive Dell laptop in this category, waiting one month for the delivery and not being able to use it for work.

Has XPS Plus become a cheap leisure laptop segment? 

Running Ubuntu OS no differently from other reports on Windows, the laptop's touchpad is often stuck for *seconds* on the pressed position. Occasionally it starts clicking on its own repeatedly, meanwhile making a ticking sound and vibration. Only switching off the laptop will temporarily recover the functionality.

What worries me the most is that even the documented hardware replacements don't solve this problem. What's got wrong with Dell? Do you know XPS is supposed to be a business line? RELIABLE hardware for people who need it for work??

This experience is a deep dent into my trust in Dell brand for business.

No Events found!