Start a Conversation

Unsolved

JN

6 Posts

November 30th, 2020 13:00

XPS 13 won't turn on (renew service contract?)

My three-year-old XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 won't turn on i.e. black screen. The battery shows as fully charged (5 lights). When I turn it on the keyboard lights flash for a second then turn off.

I've tried disconnecting the CMOS RTC cell and battery then pressing the power switch for 30 seconds and re-connecting. I've tried powering it with AC with the battery disconnected. Nothing works.

If I hold "D" while powering the screen shows alternating diagnostic colours. There are no flashes from the front LED.

Any ideas?

The Support Service ran out in 2018. I can renew it for £146 (November 2020 to April 2021). Would that cover it for repair?

Many thanks

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 30th, 2020 15:00

Be careful before extending a warranty at this point -- make sure the terms are given in writing.  There's usually a 30 day delay between such an extension and when you can file a claim -- and if you're already on record with Dell, they may not cover something that's a documented pre-existing condition.  That said, you're likely in for a replacement mainboard, and if that price will cover the replacement, it's a fraction of what the total cost would be.

No Events found!