Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

8 Posts

September 26th, 2019 05:00

XPS 15 2-in-1 laptops with 10th Gen Intel processors

Hi,

I am very interested to purchase a new XPS 15" 2-in-1 with the i7-1065G7 10th Gen Intel processor. I would like to know if any reviews, specs or model information is available from Dell or the community. Do you have links or info to share?

Thank you in advance.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 26th, 2019 07:00

@RubyeJ  the new Ice Lake CPUs you're referring to are meant to replace the low power U Series processor line.  Those processors are found in the XPS 13 (and lots of other models), but the XPS 15 models thus far have used the higher performance H Series processors, and indications from Intel thus far are that those processors won't be replaced with 10nm versions until 2021 or maybe 2022.  In fact even some of the 10th Gen U Series processors today aren't part of the new "Ice Lake" 10nm process that includes the new Gen 11 GPU.  For example, if you look at the new XPS 13 7390 models, the 2-in-1 variant uses the new Ice Lake CPUs, but the "regular" variation is using 10th Gen CPUs that are NOT Ice Lake.

8 Posts

September 27th, 2019 08:00

@jphughan, according to Intel the Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 Processor that I referenced in my original post is designed for remarkably sleek 2-in-1's and laptops. Thus, I anticipate that Dell will soon introduce an awesome new XPS 15 2-n-1 that incorporates the 1065G7.  I am a fan of the Dell's recent 2-n-1 models and I prefer the larger 15" form factor.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 27th, 2019 08:00

@RubyeJ  "remarkably sleek" means "thin and light", where keeping down size and weight is more of a focus than performance -- like the XPS 13 models.  The XPS 15 models, even the 2-in-1, have been about being thin and light for the amount of performance they offer, but they're still more performance-focused than the XPS 13.  If you want to look at this using actual numbers rather than marketing language, notice that the TDP spec on the i7-1065G7 is 15W.  That matches the TDP of the low power, lower-performance U Series processors that have been used in the XPS 13 for the last several years.  Now look at the TDP spec of any of the H Series CPUs that have been in the regular XPS 15 models over the last several years.  They are 45W parts, because they're designed for higher performance.  And that's the CPU line that Intel's latest roadmaps indicate won't be available with the new 10nm process until 2021 or possibly 2022.  Lastly, the CPUs in the current XPS 15 2-in-1 are 65W parts because those CPUs incorporate a Radeon GPU onto the same physical die.

So you can of course anticipate whatever you like, but if a 15W CPU finds its way into an XPS 15, it would be a major shift from past precedent, and the performance of that model would very likely not hold up well compared to its predecessors -- in which case I'm not sure it would be reasonable to call that system "awesome".

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2019 06:00

@jphughan, Which specific processor are you referring to in your comments and comparing to the i7-1065G7?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 2nd, 2019 06:00

@RubyeJ  as I said in that post, it applies to any of the H Series processors that have been used in the XPS 15 models for the last several generations, and any processor that's been offered in the only generation of the XPS 15 2-in-1 to date.  But if you're not willing to go check the specs of those systems to find specific CPUs, refer to the i7-9750H and the i7-8705G.  And just so you can see the consistency I mentioned, my own old XPS 15 9530 that's four generations older than the current XPS 15 has an i7-4702HQ. The "Q" was used back then to indicate a quad-core CPU when that wasn't as common, but it's still an H Series CPU and still has a 45W TDP, because that's the CPU class that Dell has been using in XPS 15 systems for at least the last 5 generations.

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2019 13:00

@jphughan, I used the Compare Intel Products web page (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=196597,191045,130411) to compare the specs of the specific CPU's noted in our thread, 1) Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 Processor (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/196597/intel-core-i7-1065g7-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html), 2) Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Processor, (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/191045/intel-core-i7-9750h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html), and 3) Intel® Core™ i7-8705G Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega M GL graphics (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/130411/intel-core-i7-8705g-processor-with-radeon-rx-vega-m-gl-graphics-8m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html).

The respective datasheets (see links) describe the architectural and micro architectural enhancements added to the 10th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 2nd, 2019 19:00

@RubyeJ  yes I'm well aware of those datasheets and refer to ark.intel.com quite frequently myself.  I'm not sure why you felt the need to share those links with me since I've been the one trying to draw YOUR attention to a key distinction between a) the CPU you originally asked about and b) the CPU in the current XPS 15 2-in-1 as well as the CPUs in all recent generations of the XPS 15 -- namely the major difference in TDP that indicates a difference in class.

It's also important to avoid referring to "the architectural and micro architectural enhancements added to the 10th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family" as if that's a single family and all 10th Generation CPUs use the same new architecture, because that is emphatically not the case.  For whatever reason, Intel decided to lump CPUs with very different architectures all under the "Core 10th Generation" umbrella.  For example, the i7-1065G7 you've been talking about, and which is currently in the XPS 13 2-in-1, is a 10th Generation CPU that uses the "Ice Lake" architecture, which is the first major architectural redesign since Broadwell (Core 5th Gen), and includes a new 10nm fabrication process and a new Gen 11 GPU.  As a result, it delivers relatively significant improvements in battery life, thermal output, CPU performance, and GPU performance.  But now take a look at the CPUs in the new "regular" XPS 13 (not the 2-in-1), such as the i7-10710U.  Those CPUs are also called 10th Generation, but they use the "Comet Lake" architecture, which is still on the old 14nm process and does not include the new Gen 11 GPU.  It's just yet another minor improvement over the architecture introduced with Broadwell 5th Gen, so the improvements in those CPUs compared to Core 9th Gen will be fairly minor and nothing like Ice Lake -- but Intel still decided to call those Comet Lake CPUs "10th Generation" as well.

And as I've also been trying to tell you, even within a given generation, there are performance tiers for CPUs.  The U series processors (and the new Ice Lake CPUs) are designed with a 15W TDP because they're optimized for low power consumption at the expense of performance.  Those have been used in the XPS 13 for the last several generations.  By comparison, the XPS 15 models for at least as long have been using H Series CPUs, which have a 45W TDP because they're optimized for more performance at the expense of consuming more power and generating more heat.  The XPS 15 2-in-1's CPU, which uses the Kaby Lake-G architecture, has a 65W TDP because it has a Radeon GPU integrated onto the actual CPU die -- and Intel notably doesn't even have a successor Kaby Lake-G on its roadmap, because that architecture was not widely adopted by PC manufacturers.

The bottom line is that the XPS 15 models are not just XPS 13 models with a bigger display, even if that’s all you personally would want. The XPS 15 models are in a completely different performance bracket, which is why they use 45-65W TDP CPUs. And that’s also why it is highly unlikely that Dell would release a new XPS 15 with the 15W CPU you originally asked about. As for the Ice Lake improvements, a lot of that is due to the new 10nm process, but the 45W TDP CPUs used by systems like the XPS 15 are not expected to move to 10nm until 2021 or 2022.

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2019 20:00

@jphughan, simply said my focus is a 15" 2-in-1 device with an i7. And, I prefer 10th gen processors with  Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics and Intel® AVX-512.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 2nd, 2019 21:00

@RubyeJ  yes I figured that you wanted a 10th Gen CPU with Iris Plus Graphics (aka Gen 11 GPU) in an XPS 15 2-in-1 from your original post.  My point is that the only current CPUs that fit that description are 15W TDP CPUs that would be hugely unlikely to be used in an XPS 15 system.  And looking at the 45-65W TDP class of CPUs that are used in XPS 15 systems, new versions that use the new 10nm architecture with the Iris Plus Graphics GPU aren't even on Intel's roadmap until 2021 or 2022 -- so you may be waiting a while.  I'm not sure why you're so interested in Iris Plus if you're looking at an XPS 15, though.  The XPS 15 has always been available with a discrete GPU, which incidentally could be used for a lot of the same purposes that AVX-512 is designed to handle.

No Events found!