Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

6 Posts

September 30th, 2020 15:00

XPS 15 7590, USB Type-C to DP cable freezing, LCD flicker and tear

I recently got this 3440x1440 144 Hz monitor and this USB C to Displayport cable to go along with the monitor.

The USB C to Displayport (monitor) cable is not working at all. When I plug the cable in, the laptop sometimes does nothing or it just completely freezes (even after I remove the cable) causing me to force shutdown. I have tried a HDMI to HDMI cable which works fine but does not look good and the image is stretched out on the monitor. 

My other laptop (HP EliteBook 840 G5 - 1080p ) connects fine using the USB C to Displayport cable and looks great. 

Also if I connect and remove the HDMI or the USB C cable from the XPS, my screen tears extremely and flickers for a couple of seconds.

I can possibly try a USB C to HDMI cable but I would rather stick with USB C to Displayport because I was told that would give me the best possible performance.

Can someone people help me out with what's wrong? Should I try another cable? Should I try only Dell approved cables? Do I need a dock or something?

Note: I'm undervolting my laptop. I'm not sure if that is potentially making a difference or not.

September 30th, 2020 16:00

Also, I can sometimes get the USB Type-C to DP cable to connect and the XPS will recognize it. I know this because in "display settings" I see the monitor shown as a second screen. 

But when I try to change my monitor input mode to displayport, the monitor shows nothing for the XPS. The monitor recognizes the HP laptop though.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

September 30th, 2020 17:00

I was having the flickering issues previously and reverted back to the March 2020 video driver, which may have helped somewhat, but did NOT fix the BLACK SCREEN issue, which is well known.  (4k 15")

Josh 

December 21st, 2020 01:00

On my XPS 15 7500, what I've found is that using a USB-C to DP cable with a 4K monitor, the display flickers if I plug the cable into either of the two Thunderbolt ports on the left side of the computer, but works just fine if I plug it into the USB-C port on the right side of the computer. This is precisely the opposite of what I expected, but there it is!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 1st, 2021 09:00

Update December 22, 2020 = DELL-Cares setup service to replace the daughterboard.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

February 1st, 2021 10:00

@DELL-Chris M i can't find any useful link in your post.  Are you providing a solution or just refreshing?

josh

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 1st, 2021 10:00

Just notifying all what the DELL-Cares agent did for the original poster. So in your own communication with DELL-Cares agent, you could reference what they did for the original poster.

February 1st, 2021 11:00

Dell-cares did a motherboard replacement which did not work by the way

• 

25.7K Posts

February 2nd, 2021 12:00

Good day. We just wanted to follow-up. Do you need any further assistance with you system? ^JKC

February 2nd, 2021 13:00

no further assistance needed. My warranty is up anyways. Thanks.

No Events found!