Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 7th, 2019 22:00

XPS 15-7590, freezes randomly occasionally

Hi,

I have experienced some random freezing issues on my brand new Dell XPS 15 7590 (FHD version i7 9750H 16GB ram GTX 1650 and 500GB SSD).

It mostly happens when browsing (Chrome and Firefox), but occasionally when I'm using Java based applications such as the Mathematical tool Maple. I do usually have a browser open in the background so I can't be sure. Also, rarely when using Windows File Explorer with no browsers in the background.

When my screen freezes, I can still give commands to the computer: If I press ALT-CTRL-DEL it will finish that command straight away after the freeze. If I type stuff, the typed stuff will be quickly written when the freeze is passed. Note, that the freeze can be lasting for anything between 5 to 30 seconds.

I have updated all my Drivers and I have run Dell Support Assist. I have also manually updated to the latest Intel display driver and updated my Graphics card with Nvidia Experience. In addition, I have run Dell Update, so I have the latest BIOS. I have also removed all Killer drivers and installed the bare Intel WiFi card driver. All in an attempt to solve my freezing issues but it haven't solved it unfortunately.

I like my XPS laptop and would be happy to know if anyone has found a solution to this problem.

Thanks!

Best,

David

1 Message

January 3rd, 2020 12:00

I did exactly the same, freezes kept coming. In the end I also removed the Dell update utility, and I'm working without a freeze now for a week.

• 

25.1K Posts

February 4th, 2020 01:00

* Update the BIOS, Chipset, and IRST drivers to the latest version
* Go to Control Panel- Hardware and Sound- Power Options
* Click Change plan settings
* Click Change advanced power settings.
* Go to Processor power management
* Select Maximum processor state
* Change both Battery and Plugged in to 99%
* Click Apply- OK
* Open the Dell Power Manager Service
* Set the Thermal management setting to Cool
* Open Intel Graphics Control Panel Power options and disable the Intel Panel Self-Refresh option
* Save changes and restart the system

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 8th, 2019 06:00

* This shipped from Dell on July 14, 2019. Was this an out of box issue?
* If not an out of box issue, what software had you installed just prior to the issue appearing?
* You should be testing with the external AC power adapter attached to the XPS 15-7590. Running on battery only forces the operating system to limit performance
* You mentioned running SA (SupportAssist) but did not provide details. Did you run the diagnostics? What was the result? Does the Dell pre-Windows ePSA Quick Diagnostics pass?

13 Posts

October 8th, 2019 08:00

All test have passed. However, I installed programs the moment I took it out of the box, so it's hard to say if those are the cause. 

13 Posts

October 8th, 2019 08:00

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have bought the computer from a store a little more then a month ago and not directly from Dell. The issue has indeed been there since I got it out of the box. In the mean time I have been trying to fix the issue with driver updates. Dell Support assist passes with no issues.

I did the built in hardware test with a power adapter attached if that is what you is referring to.

Best, 

David 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 8th, 2019 09:00

Since bought from a store, you have to transfer the ownership of the service tag number from the store to yourself using the form.

Since the hardware passes diagnostics, this points to an operating system and/or software conflict issue. You can try removing the added software one at a time, restarting when done. Then retest. Try to narrow the culprit down.

13 Posts

October 10th, 2019 20:00

I did the following Hardware scan recently:

I'm not sure why I have no PCI Express device? 

clipboard_image_0.png

13 Posts

October 10th, 2019 20:00

It's definitely a driver issue as when I have my power cord plugged in I have no freezing issues. I suppose it has something to do with the power saving state of the CPU?? Also when disabling hardware acceleration with no power cord helps on the issue but not solves it....

3 Posts

November 13th, 2019 05:00

I have the opposite of the issue. I have sudden freezes when I'm plugged in. 

I also installed basic software, updated the drivers etc. I also use Dell Docking station. I will check without the dock if the problem persists. 

Have you found a solution for yours yet?

Thanks.
Gereksiz

13 Posts

November 17th, 2019 19:00

I can confirm that I have freezes when plugged in as well. No solution yet... I've heard using Ubuntu instead of Windows would solve the problem. Which is not a solution to be frank... I'm running latest drivers constantly, but I'm thinking that the Dell custom Intel drivers are necessary, but they are very slow to release them. Also, Dell support suggested turning off c-states. However, that will compromise battery life quite a bit. Also not a very good solution...

November 27th, 2019 09:00

I too have this issue, when plugged in.  Not sure if it happens unplugged as I basically never run on battery. 

It happens maybe once a day, and I work on this laptop for about eight hours a day. 

16 Posts

December 6th, 2019 09:00

I have this issue as well on my 7590 when being plugged in.

Random freezes that last 3-4 seconds, about 1-2 per day I would say.

Dunno if it's the case when unplugged.

Any update from Dell?

1 Message

December 9th, 2019 08:00

Me and a colleague also both have a Dell 7590 XPS 2019 from june and both have this issue when on battery and on cord. The issue is there at least once a day and with me always stays for about 10 sec. I am sure it's always 10 sec. There is additional software on the laptop but not much so comparing all people in this threat I suggest Dell is looking deeper into the problem and give us some more ideas!

• 

16.7K Posts

December 10th, 2019 10:00

KlaasH,

Does the slow performance remain with the external peripherals removed?

Perform ePSA to confirm hardware functionality.

Dell Enhanced Pre-Boot System Diagnostics (ePSA) are diagnostics that are built into the hardware of your system. These tests allow you to check the hardware of your system from outside the Windows® operating system removing software from the diagnostic process.

Shutdown the computer.
Press and Hold the key while pressing the power button, then release both.
A graphical menu, listing all the discovered devices in the system is now displayed and the express diagnostics should run.
If the diagnostics fail, make a note of the error code.
Based on the diagnostic findings, the code will assist you in troubleshooting the fault.
Note: Takes about 4 minutes to complete.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2019 02:00

I have the same issue with my laptop. its' i7 1TB 64GB ram. It doesn't matter if it's on battery or connected. It happens once a day on average and I work 8h a day on my computer. 

All tests pass.

I guess it's a faulty driver or something like that. When I watch system performance I see that during freeze CPU is going to 100% for "System interrupts" process.

No Events found!